Awkward Experiences Buying Diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicfan9389

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
As you guys may know, I'm a bedwetter and have been wetting for 10 years since I was 14. I remember going to the grocery store in high school with my parents to buy my GoodNites and being embarrased. A lot of the times buying Depends on my own in college wasn't too bad, even though I got nervous. However, last year for some reason I have two experiences that stuck out. My voice is high pitched and I'm short, so I think people think I'm still young, but at Walmart I had a lady say "wow" under her breath when I was buying diapers. (as if she was surprised I needed to wear diapers to bed.) Then when I was buying diapers, the cashier at Walgreens, a woman a little older than me started talking to me differently than she did the other customer ahead of me. I walk differently because of something that happened from being born premature and again my voice is higher and I'm small. I don't know if that's why she talked to me different, since she saw the diapers I had to buy or what. At least she was nice about it unlike that other lady, but still was awkward compared to the ones that didn't really pay attention to me buying diapers. Has anyone else had any awkward moments from buying diapers?

I always buy them through the self scan checkouts. I go through spells of wearing and not wearing them so I only usually buy one pack at a time. I worry all the time that I'll get caught buying them. Going through the self scan at least means you don't have to talk to anyone and you can literally be in and out of the store before you know it.

I haven't had any too bad. Only Rite-Aid around me has depends with tabs and they don't have self checkouts. The most awkward checkout was this one lady that was really insistent on using their stupid rewards card. Of course I don't want my actual account to have diaper purchases on it so I made up a bunch of BS info for her.

Although it's none of their business what you're buying them for and they shouldn't make you feel awkward, my pre-planned story if ever asked is that they're for my grandpa with a remark that they shouldn't be nosy.

musicfan9389 said:
Has anyone else had any awkward moments from buying diapers?

I have, one time when i picked up the diapers and went to the cashier theres a problem with the price, i think its some barcode issue or something , what was worse is that the cashier had to get another cashier to help with this issue and they still had some trouble doing it, i had to stand in line and all i wanted was to get in fast buy the diapers and get outta there. I tried to play it cool but in my mind i was like omg hurry up already, after what seems like a long long time they resolved it and i paid for it put the diapers in my backpack and got out of there.

Okay, so yes... this can be an awkward situation.

I have learned much over the years, but I will never forget one situation while I was in college many years ago. I was buying depends overnight briefs, and the cashier didn't actually say anything, but gave me a very strange look. I felt very uncomfortable and just said that I was buying them for a class science project. This caused an even more uncomfortable look and I must have changed to three colors of red but paid the purchase price and got out of there as quickly as I could.

On another almost exact similar occasion, I had received this same questioning look from the cashier, when I said they were actually for my dog, who was having problems with wetting everywhere. This led to a lengthy additional conversation where the cashier asked what kind of dog and that he must have looked adorable in them, as well as how it worked with a tail and so on. I later hated myself for being such a fibber (liar) about it all.

Morale of this story.... Don't worry about what people think. Just buy them and if they ask, tell them you need them or that it isn't any of their business and ask if you can speak with their manager. This will shut them up instantly. I still beat myself up for telling lies to make people think my diaper purchases were not for me. I really wish I would have turned these situations around and made the nosy cashier understand this was not something they should have been asking about.

:detective3

I had an incident with a cashier seeming to have a look of almost embarrassment (nothing major). At the time I was buying through the normal checkout so I got diapers for the opposite sex from me (Huggies Dry/Goodnites). My main concern is that where I live is Adelaide, which is, quite honestly, one of the better pieces of evidence for "It's a small world." (During this aformentioned event, in fact, a younger kid from my school and his mum were behind me :sweatdrop:).

Secret240 said:
, a younger kid from my school and his mum were behind me :sweatdrop:).

I always do a couple sweeps of the store before heading to the incontinence aisle. Of course, someone could still walk in after. I try to buy from stores far from my house where people I know are less likely to be shopping.

I still get a bit nervous too. I live in a small town, and while the cashier may not bother me, running next to someone that I know or knows me in the aisle or checkout lane, is a bit scary.

Like others have said, buy from stores with self checkout that are at least an hour or two away. I always dress differently when I go out to buy, that way even if someone I know happens to be there, they're less likely to assume that its me.

Went to buy goodnites thru the self checkout aisle. Scanner failed, goodnites were in the bag, had to go get a cashier to come help me out. she looked in the bag to see how much I was buying. She gave me a confused look, she fixes machine for me quickly, I pay, then head out. ALWAYS use self checkout if possible. Even, in an odd situation like I got into here, it wasnt really that bad in retrospect. Even though my nerves were going crazy at the time. Self checkout eliminates alot of potential situations that could be embarrassing. Worst that can happen is what i experienced, basically. No biggie.

If self checkout isnt an option, then just act naturally and It wont be awkward at all. Its all in your head. I think its a natural feeling to eliminate the awkward tension by letting that inside voice out and saying why you're buying them. Never, blurt out you're excuse as to why you're buying them. Especially if they dont ask. Thats how things get awkward. On top of that, they have no right to ask why you're buying a certain item and if they do, they could lose there job over asking that, so dont worry!

You guys have some good points. I never told those cashiers that I was a bedwetter. For some reason they just reacted the way they did. Most of the time I tried to stick to Walmart so that I could buy my Depends and use the self-checkout but since I wear them for incontinence, sometimes I go to pharmacies when they have sales.

MailCat581 said:
Probably my most awkward experience was when I was 18; I began to discover my AB/Little side. I went to our Walgreens pharmacy down the street from where I lived with my grandparents and in addition to picking up a prescription for my grandfather; I purchased a new pack of Depends (They were still green and worked so much better then), and then my curious of my newfound AB/Little side kicked in so I went down the baby aisle and purchased a bottle set, pacifier set, and a couple of small baby toys. My family knew of my AB/Little side, and my incontinence and they support me so I didn't have any worries about hiding the bottles, pacifiers, or baby toys when I got home. The problem and what makes this an awkward experience is when I went to checkout, the cashier asked me in a confused way "adult diapers and baby items?" Their tone of voice suggested that they suspected something as to that I might be a pedo (which I am not and never have been). I lied in the process but I told them that the diapers were for my grandfather (which he really didn't need them at the time), and that the baby items were for my little brother (which I never had either because I'm the only child). Overall, it was an awkward experience.

That would've been really awkward. At least the one cashier I had at Walgreens probably knew I had incontinence issues by the way she changed her tone of voice. (like she felt sorry for me or something). I also hadn't got into ABDL stuff yet so I didn't buy anything else. (Even now I mainly just focus on diapers since I have to wear them at night anyway and am looking at ones with better prints on them)

What if you were really buying them for a relative or you are a professional nurse for a private patient? You wouldn't even notice any strange reactions.
But I agree some cashiers are curious to a level that is beyond good and evil. I once bought pregnancy test for my wife. The cashier seriously asked if she could congratulate. What a stupid question. First of all the test is made to clear things up. So unless she wants to accompany my wife on the toilet idk whether she can say congrats. secondly its none of her business for crying our loud.
So just order online.

A while back my teacher from school saw me walking out with a package of girls goodnites. She didn't say anything but I know she saw me because we waved at each other. It gave me a bad feeling at the time.

I've had very few awkward experiences buying diapers. Most recently, I was headed for the baby aisle at a Walmart almost 30 miles from my house, and unexpectedly spotted somebody I knew. It wasn't somebody I knew well, and it wasn't somebody I felt would ask if they saw me carrying a box of Luvs baby diapers (that was my intended purchase). Still, I decided it was safest to abort the mission and return later--which I did. Another awkward experience, several years ago, came when I was checking out (with a package of Pampers or Huggies), and the elderly cashier asked about the age of my child. As it turned out, my youngest child was of diaper-wearing age at the time, though he was potty-trained and the diapers were for me. :) I took it in stride and conversed with her briefly about babies and diaper sizes, and then went home to pad up. No biggie.

Of course, the most awkward experience was the first. And not because anything happened, but because I feared it would. I was 12 or 13 years old, and resolved to buy myself some Pampers. I'd been comfortably using old cloth baby diapers for years, but could no longer resist the urge to try disposables (because... after-school cartoons + diaper commercials). I hiked to the store with my allowance, and... took absolutely forever to make the purchase! The store employees, if they'd been watching me, would surely have suspected that I was preparing to shoplift. But it was all nerves. Eventually, I ended up buying Pampers Phases for Her (this was in the late 80's, when gender-specific diapers had just appeared) because then, I supposed, I could use the excuse "these are for my little sister" if I was asked. Of course, I wasn't asked, and the cashier didn't give me so much as a sideways glance. I was emboldened by this experience, and ended up buying Pampers, Huggies, and other baby diapers and diapering supplies regularly thereafter. Amusingly, though, I found a lingering attraction to the girl diapers. For some reason, the pinks and the girl prints just seemed extra babyish, and that made them extra exciting.

Cottontail said:
I've had very few awkward experiences buying diapers. Most recently, I was headed for the baby aisle at a Walmart almost 30 miles from my house, and unexpectedly spotted somebody I knew. It wasn't somebody I knew well, and it wasn't somebody I felt would ask if they saw me carrying a box of Luvs baby diapers (that was my intended purchase). Still, I decided it was safest to abort the mission and return later--which I did. Another awkward experience, several years ago, came when I was checking out (with a package of Pampers or Huggies), and the elderly cashier asked about the age of my child. As it turned out, my youngest child was of diaper-wearing age at the time, though he was potty-trained and the diapers were for me. :) I took it in stride and conversed with her briefly about babies and diaper sizes, and then went home to pad up. No biggie.

Of course, the most awkward experience was the first. And not because anything happened, but because I feared it would. I was 12 or 13 years old, and resolved to buy myself some Pampers. I'd been comfortably using old cloth baby diapers for years, but could no longer resist the urge to try disposables (because... after-school cartoons + diaper commercials). I hiked to the store with my allowance, and... took absolutely forever to make the purchase! The store employees, if they'd been watching me, would surely have suspected that I was preparing to shoplift. But it was all nerves. Eventually, I ended up buying Pampers Phases for Her (this was in the late 80's, when gender-specific diapers had just appeared) because then, I supposed, I could use the excuse "these are for my little sister" if I was asked. Of course, I wasn't asked, and the cashier didn't give me so much as a sideways glance. I was emboldened by this experience, and ended up buying Pampers, Huggies, and other baby diapers and diapering supplies regularly thereafter. Amusingly, though, I found a lingering attraction to the girl diapers. For some reason, the pinks and the girl prints just seemed extra babyish, and that made them extra exciting.
If you are Miley Cyrus there is no way you could fit into baby diapers. Maybe a Small to Medium adult diaper based on what I see in pictures. Just the skeptic that I am sorry.

xpluswearer said:
If you are Miley Cyrus there is no way you could fit into baby diapers. Maybe a Small to Medium adult diaper based on what I see in pictures. Just the skeptic that I am sorry.

Don't pay attention to that stupid BB Talk video. I'm really quite a little thing. (I fired those costume designers, by the way.)

:rollseyes::D

Last edited:
Allegro said:
A while back my teacher from school saw me walking out with a package of girls goodnites. She didn't say anything but I know she saw me because we waved at each other. It gave me a bad feeling at the time.

Were you of average bedwetter age, even though you were buying them for ABDL purposes? (Like how I started wetting in 8th grade). If you weren't a girl then maybe she would just think that your sister wet the bed or was potty training. However, when my parents had me go with them to buy Boy's GoodNites it made it more evident that the diapers were for my bedwetting.

Prior to the advent of self-checkouts, in my hometown anyway, I had one awkward sort of embarrassing moment buying diapers at a local pharmacy. I must have been around 15 at the time, I had already purchased diapers on a few occasions prior to this and my method was simple; get in, check out, leave and this method worked out great in the past, no prior employees at this particular pharmacy and others said anything.

Well one day I'm checking out and the clerk, who must have been in her early to mid twenties, a real bubbly, go-getter type snags the diapers and rings them up, she says to me "Are those for you?" followed by a giggle. I was of course taken aback, somewhat mortified. Fortunately, I thought on my feet and told her that they were for a family member who was sick and bedridden at home. After I told her that, she immediately praised me declaring, "Oh my, you are a very helpful and considerate person, they're lucky to have you", or something to that effect. So yeah, one awkward experience salvaged courtesy of my quick wits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back