Diapered Kayaking Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bendy73

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
Hi There! In addition to being a DL, I'm also a KL (kayak lover).

I have been intrigued by the idea of padding up for a paddle. There's nothing I love more than being out on the water, and I thought that wearing could make it even more wonderful. Specifically, I'm thinking of a flatwater adventure in my touring boat, with my padding underneath my wetsuit (since it is winter here in the PNW). Curious if any of you folks have had any experience doing this, or have thought about it and decided it wasn't a good idea.

In terms of the other, more serious, kind of protection, I always wear a PFD out on the water, so falling in and being weighted down by a diaper shouldn't be an issue. But I'd love to hear if anybody any else has any tips, tricks, cautionary tales etc.

Thanks!

I once went canoeing diapered without a wet suit. Let me just say that flipping over in the water was not fun. Ever since then I've always made sure to wear a wet suit while diapered, or just wear a regular bathing suit (and leak everywhere).

When I am kayaking I am just peeing in my pants or swimsuit if thats what i have on,

A Diaper can be mixed blessing. A diaper Flotation device or a Diaper Sinker all depends on various factors.

I enjoy kayaking and it's even better in a diaper! Because I launch in a public place and it's hard to hide a Bambino Bellissimo under summer clothes I only go diapered in the off season. Although I stay close to shore I have always been concerned about capsizing in cold water so this year I bought a drysuit. I have not tried it yet because of ice but it fits loosely so it should hide a diaper and it will increase the time I can stay on the water.

I have long thought about a diapered kayak trip, but where I am living right now, I don't have easy access to water or a kayak. I love being out on the water, so being able to spend the entire day out on the water would be a dream, and a diaper would make that possible. Plus, if I were far enough from shore and had a kayak that provided adequate cover, I would totally consider going diaper only too.

zaps said:
I have long thought about a diapered kayak trip, but where I am living right now, I don't have easy access to water or a kayak. I love being out on the water, so being able to spend the entire day out on the water would be a dream, and a diaper would make that possible. Plus, if I were far enough from shore and had a kayak that provided adequate cover, I would totally consider going diaper only too.

Depending on your boat, I bet this would be very doable... you could always get a spray skirt if you are in an open boat.

Anyway, I got out on the water last weekend, with a molicare under my wetsuit. It was wonderful. No issues whatsoever, and that diaper was just thin enough that it wasn't obvious at all (Before bed the evening before I tried on my wetsuit with a BetterDry / booster combo, and it was a little obvious)... A looser drysuit (in the winter) would probably be a fantastic choice... but they're expensive. Getting out on the water is an activity that makes me very happy, and calming, which makes it very similar to the things I most love about wearing. So... the combo of the two is really fantastic. Only potential issue I could think of would be fully soaking the diaper in the event of capsizing, although the buoyancy provided by a wetsuit, coupled with wearing a decent PFD probably makes that a moot point from a safety standpoint.

i picture the diaper swelling up, trapping your butt inside the kayak. lol.

actually, I do what Chamberpot does. whether in a kayak, canoe, paddle boat, or whatever, and whatever Im wearing, my butt gets soaked and nobody realizes it is wet from more than lake water.

Hmmm...if I were paddling anywhere where it's cold (and I'm a Floridian so that pretty much includes every state north of me), I would definitely wear my diapers with a dry suit. I wear diapers on boats all the time, if I know I'm not going to get wet. If there is a possibility of getting wet, I wear a wet suit, which is made for wetting ;) Or, if its in the summer, I wet my board shorts and no one is the wiser. Then again, I don't really have a choice, I'm going to wet something, it's just a matter of what.

0d1e85569073c707924a1234db842ac0--limp-bizkit-music-videos.jpg
"JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING TO WET"

Little off topic, however... as a trained kayak rescuer and regular touring group leader I'd like to offer a top paddling safety tip if I may:

Dress for immersion - please wear a drysuit and head protection when paddling in cold water! :sad:

When the water is cold, I can say from (training) experience things can get very unpleasant terrifyingly quickly in a capsize situation. Cold shock can set in in seconds - maybe 30 or 40 seconds for me in training - as can serious dizziness and disorientation if cold water gets into your ears.
Yep, that last one surprised me too when I first encountered it! ;)

Once cold shock has set in, self rescuing becomes a whole lot harder. If it helps to visualise what it's like, imagine trying to do a cowboy or scramble rescue whilst both exceptionally dizzy and having difficulty breathing :frown:

Plus, as @2020porter said, a drysuit is way better for hiding padding and comes with a built-in excuse if you get caught :D

I hope this is useful for some fellow paddlers :)
If not, then apologies for the interruption :)

Safe and happy paddling everyone!

Chrisb this is an excellent point, and safety is always paramount when out on the water. Thanks for chiming in!

Chrisb said:
Little off topic, however... as a trained kayak rescuer and regular touring group leader I'd like to offer a top paddling safety tip if I may:

Dress for immersion - please wear a drysuit and head protection when paddling in cold water! :sad:

When the water is cold, I can say from (training) experience things can get very unpleasant terrifyingly quickly in a capsize situation. Cold shock can set in in seconds - maybe 30 or 40 seconds for me in training - as can serious dizziness and disorientation if cold water gets into your ears.
Yep, that last one surprised me too when I first encountered it! ;)

Once cold shock has set in, self rescuing becomes a whole lot harder. If it helps to visualise what it's like, imagine trying to do a cowboy or scramble rescue whilst both exceptionally dizzy and having difficulty breathing :frown:

Plus, as @2020porter said, a drysuit is way better for hiding padding and comes with a built-in excuse if you get caught :D

I hope this is useful for some fellow paddlers :)
If not, then apologies for the interruption :)

Safe and happy paddling everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back