Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: weight loss and body image

curiousitykitten

Default weight loss and body image

I will start with this tidbit of information : I have been combating aan eating disorder for three years. It has been on and off varying in different behaviors and intensitys within that time frame. I have had an arrary of medical issues.

Currently I am medically stable, but mentally I have been feeling down. I have reverted to ob sessing about what I look like and how much I eat. I think loosing 10-20 pounds would really boost my self confidence. Right now I think I am average. My doctors are literally not allowed to tell me my weight and my mom trashed the scale.

I want to looose that weight

My plan is to
    • buy a scale
    • run every day
    • deminish processed foods from my diet
    • do not eat after 6 p.m without punishment the next day (i.e. fastingg or running an extra mile)

I am waiting to do this in a few weeks because I am going on vacation and need to save my money.

My questions for you are
    1. what is a good way of doing this
    2. what diet pill should i start taking
    3. how long should i do this
    4. how should i hide it

1. A good way to do this is to make it a gradual change. If you try and bring a huge change on like this in a short amount of time, you're setting yourself up for a crash. Take it in stride, pace yourself. Make it a healthy change, not a crash diet.

2. Agh. I would avoid these. Especially for just ten pounds.

3 and 4 are kind of a moot point to my answer.

Quote Originally Posted by curiousitykitten View Post

I want to looose that weight

My plan is to
    • buy a scale
    • run every day
    • deminish processed foods from my diet
    • do not eat after 6 p.m without punishment the next day (i.e. fastingg or running an extra mile)

I am waiting to do this in a few weeks because I am going on vacation and need to save my money.

My questions for you are
    1. what is a good way of doing this
    3. how long should i do this
    4. how should i hide it
    1. Everything in your list looks great to me except for the last item. I guarantee you that at best, it's a harmless and ineffectual use of 'punishment'.
    2. I would not advise diet pills. Spend that money on fruits, vegetables, proteins, and physical activity that's also fun. (I don't know how much they cost, so I probably shouldn't respond to this item.)
    3. Eat what you need to eat to be healthy, and no less. Be active, and use your body to do what it can do, what it's 'designed' to do. This is a goal I have for myself, actually. I wasn't built to sit behind a desk and type all day, but that's what I do...instead, I was designed to hunt game and to fight crime. Lately, I've been making an effort to use the muscles and energy reserves I've neglected for so long.
    4. No recommendations here.

I'm curious: is it that you want to lose weight or want to look good in the mirror, or to feel good physically?

I'm disgusted with my own physique, to the extent that it changes how I spend each day, or when / how much I eat. However, the changes I've made have been in an effort to become healthier, and not necessarily lighter or more thin. I'm not overweight, but I'm out of shape, and I wouldn't go shirtless in public unless it was in order to save my city or if I was at gunpoint.

Why lose weight? What's the point? Is that really your end goal?

Since you suffer from an eating disorder I'd say tell your parents you are having these thoughts. it's incredibly easy to go over broad with stuff like this. As for your questions:

1. Just eat healthy fruits, veggies, meats, grains.

2. Stay the f**k away from those things. They are just as dangerous as crack or meth. Infact I heard some of them from south America actually have meth in them. So again stay the f**k away from diet pills. Contrary to popular belief they are not regulated by the FDA.

3 and 4 Don't do either of them. your parents know what's best talk to them and listen to them.

And don't buy a scale.

I'll get down off my now.

curiousitykitten

Quote Originally Posted by PostTenebrasLux View Post
    Why lose weight? What's the point? Is that really your end goal?
    i want to feel better emotionally and boost my own self esteem

people yell at me for wanting to loose weight but i want to feel better

im a normal weight as it stands

[QUOTE=stonemask55;206742]Since you suffer from an eating disorder I'd say tell your parents you are having these thoughts. it's incredibly easy to go over broad with stuff like this. /QUOTE]

i told my therapist and shes like
    "this happens at the change of every season for you" and it does
    which is wierd :\
    Last edited by Peachy; 27-Apr-2009 at 12:10. Reason: merging double post - use "edit" button

I am curious as to what exactly diet pills do to you. Do they speed up your metabolism, or do they do something else?

Your idea of exercise is a very good start, however, you may want to add a few other exercises aimed at specific areas of your body. Sit-ups will help burn belly fat, and push-ups will help turn soft arms and chunky moobs into decent muscle. Start off with 10 each and work your way up, and do it before you go to bed every night. You'll find that sleeping is a bit easier too.

Quote Originally Posted by stonemask55 View Post
    Since you suffer from an eating disorder I'd say tell your parents you are having these thoughts. it's incredibly easy to go over broad with stuff like this.

i told my therapist and shes like
    "this happens at the change of every season for you" and it does
    which is wierd :\
    Still better safe than sorry. You don't want to risk doing permanent damage to your body. And I'd tell your parents that that's your therapist's opinion, if i were in your position I'd look into a new therapist.

[*]do not eat after 6 p.m without punishment the next day (i.e. fastingg or running an extra mile)

4. how should i hide it
    i'm all for being healthy, but the excerpts i quoted above make your plan look less like a health regimen and more like the symptoms of an eating disorder. have you considered that there might be a reason why your mother removed the scale from the house? maybe it would be better for you not to worry about how much you weigh in pounds and ounces, and just concentrate on staying healthy.

you say you want to boost your self-confidence, but if you're currently of average weight then loosing more weight doesn't seem like a very good way of doing that. a better way might be by learning how to achieve a positive self-image that isn't contingent on your weight. you seem to think you'd feel self-confident if you were 10-20 pounds underweight, but you won't. true self-confidence isn't conditional.

curiousitykitten

Quote Originally Posted by avery View Post
    i'm all for being healthy, but the excerpts i quoted above make your plan look less like a health regimen and more like the symptoms of an eating disorder. have you considered that there might be a reason why your mother removed the scale from the house? maybe it would be better for you not to worry about how much you weigh in pounds and ounces, and just concentrate on staying healthy.

you say you want to boost your self-confidence, but if you're currently of average weight then loosing more weight doesn't seem like a very good way of doing that. a better way might be by learning how to achieve a positive self-image that isn't contingent on your weight. you seem to think you'd feel self-confident if you were 10-20 pounds underweight, but you won't. true self-confidence isn't conditional.

*blush* i was hospitilized twice

and i love the tree on your avitar! dont ask why but it looks soo idk healthy and green (lol i guess it is 2:45 am so im easily amused)

Peachy

If you're "average", then don't lose 10-20 pounds. You'd be underweight, which causes another set of medical problems that would ruin your hard-earned increase in self-confidence from the weight loss.

Instead, aim for a few pounds...like 5 for a start. But do not try to achieve it with pills or any other unnatural strategies. It's much more effective for your self-confidence if you can claim that you have lost it solely and purely by your own willpower.
    Your general approach is good though: More exercise, less unhealthy food, and no food late at night (no one needs 1000s of calories for sleeping!). However, you'll have to continue those strategies indefinitely, and that's the danger of setting yourself a goal: Once you've achieved it, you'll go back to being lazy and eating crappy food, gaining the weight again and losing the self-confidence.
    So do exercise more and eat more healthy, and stick with it! Both strategies will usually make you feel a lot better and healthier no matter how they affect your weight. Besides, lots of exercising will usually turn fat into muscles, and muscles weight more than fat, so you may not even lose all that much weight. Still, stronger, being less prone to deseases and having a better balance of nutrients are all positive effects that will boost your body and your self confidence.

Peachy