Do diapers show up on x-ray scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
xpluswearer said:
When I was doing tons more traveling in the 90's and 00's, I was friends with the airport staff whom were before 9-11 the security screeners too and I was able to see the monitor err Television screen they used for the X-ray machine and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that yes you can see plain as day the clear outlines of diapers on the monitor in fact Depend green backed ones would actually show up quite vivdly. And with the newer models where they can do almost 3D images yes they can see everything in your bags I got red faced when I saw the clear picture of everything in my bag.
however if the airport received one of those one time issue oddball scanners all you would see is blocks and if there is anything that would set it off it would change the block to red and that would set off a light on the screen to search that bag.
You are right on the Metal detectors of old where they just tested for metal now I believe they are developing a plastic detection one too.
What was terrible when right after 9-11 they secondary searched everyone at the gate and threw everything out of your bag for everyone to see on one of those banquet tables that fold talk about shameful.

Thanks for the clarification. My experience with seeing the xray bag machine was from before 9/11. Back then, the screen was often viewable after you walked through the metal detector. I was able to see my bag on a few occasions, and my diapers were barely discernible from the rest of my clothes.

It does make sense to reason that their imaging tech would have gotten better since then. Thanks to all those extra partitions now I haven't been able to sneak a peek at their screens though.

So far in reading thru the thread - have not seen any mention of metal diaper pins.
For sure these will show up on most any scanner and the obvious result is the
person is wearing diapers.
But then not every diaper wearer wears pinned on diapers since these type of diapers
are recycled whereas the pull on type are disposables.

Thank you all for your useful comments. I think we can conclude that diapers in your bag may or may not show up on the x-ray scanner, depending on the equipment used, and whether it is in use or not. If you decide to wear through security it is advisable not to put anything in/on your diaper (organic matter :), liquids, metal). And if the security officers do see them nobody cares if you do not care. So act relaxed and everything will be OK. A very comforting thought. Thanks again.

babylock1 said:
So far in reading thru the thread - have not seen any mention of metal diaper pins.
For sure these will show up on most any scanner and the obvious result is the
person is wearing diapers.
But then not every diaper wearer wears pinned on diapers since these type of diapers
are recycled whereas the pull on type are disposables.
You really are asking for trouble depending on where you are departing from some airports are really strict zero tolerance checkpoints. For instance I had to take my eyeglass repair kit and take it to the ticket counter and check it as baggage and yes it arrived the airline took a ski bag and cut it to a size to put it in and printed out a bag tag and off it went that was in Flint Michigan now in Boston I was bringing back to Michigan a snow brush with scraper combo and had to also go back to ticket counter and check it in too. See mine broke a few days earlier when I flew out to Boston and I saw one I liked in a gas station store bought it and took it back home with me knowing that when I got home to the airport the car needed to be cleaned off and since I did not have one I now was set. Killed 2 birds with one stone ya know. They will not be satisfied till they get a visual of the offending item to deem it not a security threat. Pins can be used as weapons so be warned that is why knitting needles are not allowed.

I used to work at the airport the security staff never batted an eyelid, if anything made them do the job quicker they don't tend to go near your nappy area, I usually wear a thin one going through and change into a large one before getting on the flight. Only time I had a issue was when I had a leg bag on had to ensure that it was fully empty as it classed as liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back