Embarrasment by Parents Growing Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
ST50 said:
Actually it was my sister that used to make sure everyone knew her older brother still wet his bed every night. My Mother used to make sure it was no secret either.

how nice of them. i hope kaarma came back to bite them eventually.

KenworthW900b said:
My parents never went out of their way to embarrass me about my bedwetting but they were not very discreet about it either, when my mom was making the grocery list she would ask if i needed diapers regardless of whether i had friends around or not. We didnt really have to be discreet around family because every one knew and my 3 cousins also were bedwetters and wore diapers and thats where most of my diapers came from was my cousins because my aunt bought them in bulk she would buy enough for me too, always luvs or pampers in pink i very seldom got blue ones for boys because my cousins were all girls. My parents always made me wear baby diapers until goodnites came out and sometimes even after that until they just didnt fit anymore i think it was about 1995 when i wore my last baby diaper. My family did start to make a little bit of fuss about my diaper wearing when i started high school but it was just like poorly timed rude comments nothing scarring or anything. In the end i was a little embarrassed that they were still buying me goodnites as a teenager luckily it stopped not long before i was 16, of course the victory was short lived as i got injured when i was 17 and was left with no bladder control all and 18 years later thats where i still am. After my injury none of my family has said a word about my incontinence or diapers or anything else

were your parents really buying you goodnites at 16?

If you dont mind me asking what happened that made you IC?

I was nearly 16 when i told mom i didn't need them any more maybe 4 months before my 16th birthday because i know i didnt start 10th grade still in them. As for the cause of my IC i was fallen on by an engine i had just rebuilt because a weld on the engine stand i was using broke causing said engine to topple over on me.

ryan2127 said:
were your parents really buying you goodnites at 16?

If you dont mind me asking what happened that made you IC?

My parents were still buying GoodNites for me until I was 18. Then I wore them until they started leaking when I was 20. Imagine having your parents make you carry your GoodNites from the baby aisle. The only reason I switched to Depends was because of leaks not long after I started college. As long last month I gave in to dealing with leaks for years and finally started wearing tape on diapers. So much more comfortable and I don't have to worry about leaking onto my sheets.

musicfan9389 said:
Hello,

This is for those who grew up with incontinence issues. I was wondering if anyone else got embarrassed by the way their parents handled their accidents. I told my story on here before, but when I started wetting the bed 10 years ago when I was 14, I remember coming home and seeing a pack of soccer player GoodNites on the counter. Then everytime I needed more GoodNites, they would have me go shopping with them. It seemed like they would take forever getting my bedwetting supplies in the baby aisle and that they made a big deal about it. I was glad to have the GoodNites, since they kept my sheets dry. (It's a lot easier to deal with changing pull-ups than it is to wash sheets).

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else had parents that would do stuff either intentionally or unintentionally to embarrass them about their incontinence.
Can't read pink? Here you go.

Lots of hugs. Oh, my gosh! This sets me off!

It's like, "My kid has a legitimate issue. Lemme embarrass him as much as possible! Maybe that'll make it go away."

Yeah, or, years later, the way you treated him could bring him here! Then how proud would you be? Ignorant bloody people!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Oh, my gosh! This sets me off!

It's like, "My kid has a legitimate issue. Lemme embarrass him as much as possible! Maybe that'll make it go away."

Yeah, or, years later, the way you treated him could bring him here! Then how proud would you be? Ignorant bloody people!

I dont think my mom and aunt intentionally meant to embarras my cousin and me but it certainly happened. A set of sheets, two sets of pjs, two undershirts, and two white briefs were on the line everyday outside our trailer. We didnt realize until much later that EVERYone in the trailerpark knew.
At every family gathering the ladies would always talk about "the kids". eventually it would get around to
potty training, and they would end up discussing who was still pissing the bed. and they would compare who, how often, and if and when we would stop. they didnt even realize the four boys they weretalking about were embarrassed. the only good thing was at least i wasnt the only one.

2 of the major reasons bed wetting happens are severe constipation, as in the kid's bowels get so full, they push on the bladder, which parents don't often see, until they, order a friggin' X-ray. Hint; hint! Bed wetting can also be caused by say it with me, genetics! You poor things. :grouphug:

I've never bedwet, but several adoptive family members did as kids. The reason I care, having never done it, and hopefully I never do, is because of my CP, I know how it feels to get your butt handed to you for stuff you have no bodily control over, hense, mana bear. My IC is more daytime, because when I sleep, some of the extra brain activity that causes my spasticity, calms down. lmagine trying to explain that one?

"You have less control when awake and aware, than sleeping?!"

"Yes."

I was convinced my aunt's head would explode as a kid.

Because pink is hard to see without the right ADISC skin

2 of the major reasons bed wetting happens are severe constipation, as in the kid's bowels get so full, they push on the bladder, which parents don't often see, until they, order a friggin' X-ray. Hint; hint! Bed wetting can also be caused by say it with me, genetics! You poor things. :grouphug:

I've never bedwet, but several adoptive family members did as kids. The reason I care, having never done it, and hopefully I never do, is because of my CP, I know how it feels to get your butt handed to you for stuff you have no bodily control over, hense, mana bear. My IC is more daytime, because when I sleep, some of the extra brain activity that causes my spasticity, calms down. Imagine trying to explain that one?

"You have less control when awake and aware, than sleeping?!"

"Yes."

i was convinced my aunt's head would explode as a kid.

ggreggy said:
I dont think my mom and aunt intentionally meant to embarras my cousin and me but it certainly happened. A set of sheets, two sets of pjs, two undershirts, and two white briefs were on the line everyday outside our trailer. We didnt realize until much later that EVERYone in the trailerpark knew.
At every family gathering the ladies would always talk about "the kids". eventually it would get around to
potty training, and they would end up discussing who was still pissing the bed. and they would compare who, how often, and if and when we would stop. they didnt even realize the four boys they weretalking about were embarrassed. the only good thing was at least i wasnt the only one.

I know all about my family discussing my bedwetting Aunts and grandmothers used to talk as if I were not in the room.

ST50 said:
I know all about my family discussing my bedwetting Aunts and grandmothers used to talk as if I were not in the room.

I remember those discussions as well where my mom talked to neighboring moms and to relatives as if they were trading recipes. I used to try to stop her by saying 'don't say anything' if I was anywhere in the vicinity. I guess in todays terms they were just networking about what they saw as a common problem but it wasn't very sensitive.

mikesecret said:
I remember those discussions as well where my mom talked to neighboring moms and to relatives as if they were trading recipes. I used to try to stop her by saying 'don't say anything' if I was anywhere in the vicinity. I guess in todays terms they were just networking about what they saw as a common problem but it wasn't very sensitive.

Back then it was common to shame the bed wetter. I was far from the only one in our street that wet the bed but I was certainly the oldest bed wetter by the time I finally became dry. The amount of times I've heard people saying "He still wets his bed you know"

My parents were pretty awful about it for a long time. There was some hope that I may have grown out of it, but it just didn't pan out, and from their perspective they were just trying to help it along. I still get jitters when I hear the pullups tagline, I can practically hear my parents saying "You're still not a big kid now..." I've prettymuch come to terms with the idea that they just didn't know how to handle the situation, nothing about growing up in the South in their era prepared you for how to deal with this the right way, it in fact would point you at all the wrong things to do. But it is what it is, they don't give me a hard time anymore and holding onto all that hurt just doesn't help me at this point, so what are you gonna do, you know?

Maux said:
My parents were pretty awful about it for a long time. There was some hope that I may have grown out of it, but it just didn't pan out, and from their perspective they were just trying to help it along. I still get jitters when I hear the pullups tagline, I can practically hear my parents saying "You're still not a big kid now..." I've prettymuch come to terms with the idea that they just didn't know how to handle the situation, nothing about growing up in the South in their era prepared you for how to deal with this the right way, it in fact would point you at all the wrong things to do. But it is what it is, they don't give me a hard time anymore and holding onto all that hurt just doesn't help me at this point, so what are you gonna do, you know?

I always counter that with the ToysRus tag line. I don't wanna grow up....

Slomo said:
I always counter that with the ToysRus tag line. I don't wanna grow up....

I don't think I would have had the wherewithal for such a witty comeback, hehe

I wet the bed until I was about 8 or 9 and don't remember ever being purposely shamed by my parents for it. Obviously, they weren't happy about it and wished I would quit, but I don't believe they ever teased me or punished me. The fact that I wet the bed was embarrassing enough to me. I do remember, though, at one point having a discussion right in the baby aisle at the grocery store when it was getting hard to find Gerber plastic pants to fit me. There were other people in the aisle, and it was uncomfortable, but I don't believe it was meant to embarrass me - more a matter of fact discussion about running out of options (there were no Goodnights in those days). It was also about this time that I remember her turning one of my flannel baby blankets into a diaper for me, as I was outgrowing anything we could buy at the local store. The one traumatic experience that I still remember in vivid detail was when I was getting diapered for bed and my older sister's boyfriend (actually probably husband by then) walked in. I was mortified and tried to hide, unsuccessfully of course. Funny what sticks in your head.

birth parents yes all the time and any way they could think of but also a lot of abuse have always wonder what they would have dine if they knew my best friend also was a wetter but for me the abuse when I got home after wetting a a friends home as worth it just to feel loved by her mother and grand parents

I was not just a bed-wetter but also had constant soiling issues. It was the soiling that really got my mom upset with me. All of my underpants (white briefs) always were severely stained even after they were washed. I had a friend over one day playing when my mom came in after folding laundry. She was holding a stack of my folded undies and threw them at me saying, Here are your poopy underpants to put away." I scooped them up as quickly as I could trying to hide the shameful stains. My friend never said anything that I can remember. She must have been particularly frustrated that day.

• Sad
Reactions: wetaccident
Mom was always getting after me for brown stains in my underpants and wet spots in my undies and pants after she made me not wear diapers anymore.
I had intermittent pee and poop accidents in class in school growing up and intermittent wetting/pooping accidents in my underpants while employed.
In 1987, I decided to go back to diapers.
Tired of embarrassment.
Tired of wetting/messing myself as a person with Asperger's Syndrome and Mild Cerebral palsy.

I used to wet and mess my underpants frequently when I was a kid. Mom bought a diaper pail for me to keep in my bedroom and put my soiled underwear in. She called it my "underpants pail". This was before my little brother was born, after which I was put in diapers every night.

My parents made plenty of very questionable decisions, but one thing I especially remember my mom doing was hanging up my plastic pants on the clothesline to dry, right in plain view of anybody who passed by. We lived in the middle of town. Another thing: when I was still wearing diapers (up until age 8 or so), if I needed to be changed and we were out in public, she'd pull a diaper out of her purse in front of everybody and hand it to me (or, when I was a little younger, take me in and change me herself).
In all cases, if I complained that she was being too obvious, she told me to calm down because "nobody cared" (though of course my classmates noticed and teased me constantly).

340lbbenchpressbaby said:
My parents made plenty of very questionable decisions, but one thing I especially remember my mom doing was hanging up my plastic pants on the clothesline to dry, right in plain view of anybody who passed by. We lived in the middle of town. Another thing: when I was still wearing diapers (up until age 8 or so), if I needed to be changed and we were out in public, she'd pull a diaper out of her purse in front of everybody and hand it to me (or, when I was a little younger, take me in and change me herself).
In all cases, if I complained that she was being too obvious, she told me to calm down because "nobody cared" (though of course my classmates noticed and teased me constantly).
WTF!? You cared! That should've been enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back