Status
Not open for further replies.

Rcramere

What’s up
Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
This summer ill be on a 5 hour plane ride and im planning on wearing on the plane and during the trip. My biggest question is has anyone bought diapers at the airport and has anyone ever changed a messy diaper on an airplane.

While I haven't bought diapers at the airport I have worn on a plane before. Rather than trying to buy diapers at the airport, I would suggest packing a few (and changing supplies) in your carry on bag. If the airport sells diapers, they are likely to be expensive and of poor quality. For a five hour flight, you should be able to find a good diaper that is able to last the entire flight without changing (wetting).

Here are a few suggestions for wearing on the plane. First, I suggest waiting until after you go through security to put the diaper on (makes getting though much easier). Second, make sure you practice taping on a diaper while standing at home. It is unlikely you will find a place to lay down and tape the diaper on. Third, unless you are incontinent, I strongly suggest you do not mess while on the plane. It simply is not fare to make someone sit next to you in a messy diaper. Changing a messy diaper in public is bad enough but a plane is worse. With the tight space, it will be difficult and you never know when the plane will hit some turbulence which could make a for a really bad situation. Finally, with today's airline security concerns, walking to the bathroom with a bag then spending a long time in there may look suspicious. Wearing a diaper on the plane so you don't have to get up and pee is great especially if you like the window seat and hate asking strangers to get up and move. It is also handy when the fasten seat belt sign is on for most of the flight and you have to go.

Remember to make sure your backpack is stocked with extra diapers (in large clear ziplock Bags) to help with keeping the diapers clean and undamaged juring bag check. also keep a package of large asukt wiles from attends or a similar produce as wel as plastic bags for disposal.

if you also deal with bowel issues medical gloves and a few disposable bed pads so you cab place one on the floor or over your pants when cleaning up the bowel mess.

Use the search function and there are about a hundred threads on this on ADISC.

I have never seen an adult diaper for sale at an airport.

As others have pointed out, it's no big thing getting them through security. Very few times I've flown and not had a (clean) diaper on.

willnotwill said:

As others have pointed out, it's no big thing getting them through security. Very few times I've flown and not had a (clean) diaper on.
Back in the 90's Miami International Airport had the 6 packs of Depends Fitted Briefs and the overnight ones too.
Istanbul Turkey Ataturk International Airport has them in that ground floor pharmacy
I got one at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport at the Medical office once when I was needing one I was on my way back home and was soaked and went in there and luck would have it they had a supply of them and they gave me two I gave one back said thanks I need one and it was more than what I needed to get me back to my college dormitory where I changed at bedtime.
And in Dayton Ohio in the 90's They had individual Attends for sale since at that time P & G was the manufacturer of them at that time.
London Heathrow Terminal 4 where KLM flies out of the Chemist Boots had some there.
Hope this helps out.

willnotwill said:

I expect we'll see that change sometime soon. It might show up first somewhere more discrete like in the restrooms. (especially since many purchasers wil need to change their used diaper or change INTO the diaper for the flight they are preparing to board anyway) A bit like how you don't see condom dispensers out with the vending machines, those are again usually in the restrooms, to give the purchaser a little more privacy. Adult diaper vending machines in restrooms make total sense in that context.

And I don't recall seeing baby diaper vending machines in airports until rather recently.

Although the initial sales of diapers for people to change into for the flight I'd expect to be initially rather small, the number of diapers purchased for CHANGING I would expect to be much higher. Especially with people getting to an airport and preparing to catch a connecting flight, "When you need to change, you need to change!" and the'd gladly pay a higher price when the choice is a few bucks more for a change vs a stinky plane ride / wet trousers. They're kind of a captive audience...

Yeah, anyone with bladder issues would potentially benefit from wearing one on a flight, given seat belt restrictions and queues etc... it's a real marketing opportunity!

I changed once on an airplane flight and between the wait and discomfort of being a contortionist, I decided I would just wait until the next airport bathroom or until I get to my hotel and change in comfort.

I have changed on a 747 it was a bit of a squeeze but I managed it.

It helps if you gently lean up against the door for your diaper change. Just make sure it is locked first, and push on it to make sure it won't accidentally open on you.

When you're done changing, you'll notice the trash bin opening is too small to accept it. You can open the cabinet to it up though, and toss it in that way (the trash cabinet does not have an alarm so don't worry about that).

You have a good point but another question is security going to have an issue with baby powder and wipes, and thanks for the response.

I’m heading off on a 4 hour flight tommorow and my plan is to change into a decent diaper after I pass through security. I have a large camera bag that I will put supplies in and hopefully they don’t go through it. I will wear plastic pants over the diaper. I once wore a wellness superio with booster on a long 11 hour flight from Hawaii and I thought I could change in flight which was pretty much impossible and unfortunately I had a leak towards the end. I was able to contain it and not leak onto outer clothing but I felt really embarrassed and uncomfortable And I won’t put myself in that situation again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rcramere said:
This summer ill be on a 5 hour plane ride and im planning on wearing on the plane and during the trip. My biggest question is has anyone bought diapers at the airport and has anyone ever changed a messy diaper on an airplane.

I agree with the general response to the thread, it can be done. I have worn a diaper when I flew, I have not changed in the lavatory on the plane. I just wore a night-time diaper, for example, Abena Abri-Form Comfort Briefs, Medium, M4 with a booster pad and plastic pants. I was very wet when I got to the connecting airport, so I found the nearest bathroom and changed in one of the stalls. I saw this on another post on the site, try to have a clean diaper when you go though secutity. Most of the time the TSA agents are really cool about it, as long as you nice to them and do not look or act suspiciously. Even if you are pulled into private screen tell you to need the diapers for control issues. Most of the time they are cool with it. You might want to bring a few spare diapers and a small thing of wipes(the 3oz rule can be a pain with these).

Funny story about the return trip, I ran out of diapers during the trip and had to run to Wal-greens and get more. By the end of the trip I had about half a pack left over, so I packed them into my check-bag. When I got home I found a TSA notice saying they searched my bag. It caused a good laugh out of me, thinking about the poor TSA agent who had to open my bag and search through half a bag of diapers.

Hope it helps and I hope you have a great flight!

Fear of wetting in my sleep is one of the things that most prevents me from flying. Ive avoided overnight flights for decades for this reason. I remember taking an 8 hour transAtlantic flight a few years ago and feeling 'down there' with alarm when I woke up. I was afraid to stand up and walk down the aisle to try to change in an airplane bathroom. I quickly headed right to the first available airport bathroom after we landed.

Rcramere said:
You have a good point but another question is security going to have an issue with baby powder and wipes, and thanks for the response.

Not the wipes, but sometimes with the powder as it shows up like a liquid in their xray scanner. They will probably want to check your bag, but a quick puff and smell will confirm it's ok. Alternatively, get the small travel size bottle. I've never had a problem with them.

look its simple coming from a person who flys all around the world and has done so for many years.
If you want to avoid a physical pad down don't go through scanners in a wet nappy. Wearing a dry one will not be detected and you will be fine, but if you cant avoid being wet then expect a physical pat down and that's only in the good old USA. Never in Europe, Asia, Aust, NZ or EMEA have I been patted down going through security wearing a wet nappy. 5 hours if you have a dry nappy on before the flight I would not expect you would need a change if you use a good quality brand, boosters pad and plastic pants. My preferred plastic pants to fly with, are gary long elastic waist with the snap sides. They have never gone off through the scanner.

If you require a nappy to be taken on the plane place it in your carry on in a plastic bag preferable not clear unless you want to show everyone on the plane you have a nappy in a plastic bag or you want to stick a nappy under your arm and wait in line for toilet. Personally i find it a tab humiliating and embarrassing just having a nappy under my arm. But hey each to their own. Place a small amount of wipes into a zip lock bag and place them in the plastic bag with your nappy. Powder I just take a small bottle for travel. Now I fly anywhere between 1 hour to 28 hours. 1 hour I don't need one in my carry on 28 hours i usually take 3.

I would not recommend on messing on a plane really, there are tablets that you can take to bind you up so you can avoid that and the whole plane will stink. Hostess will not be happy and people around you will be pissed off. Think about the hostess that then has to go get your dirty nappy out of the toilet even if its in the bin they will have to remove it as the toilet will stink.

To change I just open my carry on bag pull out the plastic bag with my nappy in it and walk to the toilet to change. I usually wait until there is no line so you are not standing around with a nappy in your hand. Its a hostess job to notice so they will notice you carrying a nappy even in a dark plastic bag. Practice changing standing at home and you should be able to remove wet nappy put a new one on in under 3 mins. Use the plastic bag to put your old nappy in and place it in the bin. when walking back out you only have the wipes in a small zip lock bag and a small powder bottle which could have been used for anything. Do not leave it on the bench for the next person or a hostess to clean up. I usually only change on the plane if I'm really wet or can feel I've leaked into my plastic pants. Otherwise I change on long flights in either a toilet while changing flights or in the exec lounge where i have a shower.

But all in all nothing to be scared off. unless you want to be a grub and leave you mess in the toilet or mess in your seat. Heaps of threads on here about traveling on planes. There is a article somewhere about the top 10 things hostess hate and cleaning adult and baby nappies from the toilet is in the top 5 so do your best to help them as they are there to help you and not at your beckon call.

Example last week, I flew from Perth to Sydney. From security checkin until picking up my checked in bags was a total of 6 hours. At the airport I put a fresh betterdry nappy on, a booster pad, onesie for support and plastic pants over the top. Had a couple beers in the qantas lounge, a champagne before takeoff, 3 gin and tonics fell asleep for couple of hours, woke where I was very wet but no leaks. Exited the plan change in the first toilet inside the airport, by the time competed that my bags were arriving on the carousel for pickup. Jumped in the taxi home which takes 1 hour 30 mins in a fresh nappy. Happy Days

sloth said:
.... Now I fly anywhere between 1 hour to 28 hours. 1 hour I don't need one in my carry on 28 hours i usually take 3.....

Ok, where the the HECK are you flying that it takes 28 hours? I've flown the the LITERAL other side of the planet and even then it only took 18 hours in flight!?!

ps. can I come too?

Slomo said:
Ok, where the the HECK are you flying that it takes 28 hours? I've flown the the LITERAL other side of the planet and even then it only took 18 hours in flight!?!

ps. can I come too?
LOL Do not forget about me I LOVE to travel!! Got Passport in hand and my carry on bag in tow lets roll!

- - - Updated - - -

sloth said:
look its simple coming from a person who flys all around the world and has done so for many years.
If you want to avoid a physical pad down don't go through scanners in a wet nappy. Wearing a dry one will not be detected and you will be fine, but if you cant avoid being wet then expect a physical pat down and that's only in the good old USA. Never in Europe, Asia, Aust, NZ or EMEA have I been patted down going through security wearing a wet nappy. 5 hours if you have a dry nappy on before the flight I would not expect you would need a change if you use a good quality brand, boosters pad and plastic pants. My preferred plastic pants to fly with, are gary long elastic waist with the snap sides. They have never gone off through the scanner.

If you require a nappy to be taken on the plane place it in your carry on in a plastic bag preferable not clear unless you want to show everyone on the plane you have a nappy in a plastic bag or you want to stick a nappy under your arm and wait in line for toilet. Personally i find it a tab humiliating and embarrassing just having a nappy under my arm. But hey each to their own. Place a small amount of wipes into a zip lock bag and place them in the plastic bag with your nappy. Powder I just take a small bottle for travel. Now I fly anywhere between 1 hour to 28 hours. 1 hour I don't need one in my carry on 28 hours i usually take 3.

I would not recommend on messing on a plane really, there are tablets that you can take to bind you up so you can avoid that and the whole plane will stink. Hostess will not be happy and people around you will be pissed off. Think about the hostess that then has to go get your dirty nappy out of the toilet even if its in the bin they will have to remove it as the toilet will stink.

To change I just open my carry on bag pull out the plastic bag with my nappy in it and walk to the toilet to change. I usually wait until there is no line so you are not standing around with a nappy in your hand. Its a hostess job to notice so they will notice you carrying a nappy even in a dark plastic bag. Practice changing standing at home and you should be able to remove wet nappy put a new one on in under 3 mins. Use the plastic bag to put your old nappy in and place it in the bin. when walking back out you only have the wipes in a small zip lock bag and a small powder bottle which could have been used for anything. Do not leave it on the bench for the next person or a hostess to clean up. I usually only change on the plane if I'm really wet or can feel I've leaked into my plastic pants. Otherwise I change on long flights in either a toilet while changing flights or in the exec lounge where i have a shower.

But all in all nothing to be scared off. unless you want to be a grub and leave you mess in the toilet or mess in your seat. Heaps of threads on here about traveling on planes. There is a article somewhere about the top 10 things hostess hate and cleaning adult and baby nappies from the toilet is in the top 5 so do your best to help them as they are there to help you and not at your beckon call.

Example last week, I flew from Perth to Sydney. From security checkin until picking up my checked in bags was a total of 6 hours. At the airport I put a fresh betterdry nappy on, a booster pad, onesie for support and plastic pants over the top. Had a couple beers in the qantas lounge, a champagne before takeoff, 3 gin and tonics fell asleep for couple of hours, woke where I was very wet but no leaks. Exited the plan change in the first toilet inside the airport, by the time competed that my bags were arriving on the carousel for pickup. Jumped in the taxi home which takes 1 hour 30 mins in a fresh nappy. Happy Days
I concur with Slomo how do you figure 28 hours? seems a bit off what route was that on???

Secondly Holy Toledo you can hold your liquid courage! A bottle of Champange I would be done for let alone beer swill and that other hard knocks stuff Wow!

xpluswearer said:
LOL Do not forget about me I LOVE to travel!! Got Passport in hand and my carry on bag in tow lets roll!

- - - Updated - - -

I concur with Slomo how do you figure 28 hours? seems a bit off what route was that on???

Secondly Holy Toledo you can hold your liquid courage! A bottle of Champange I would be done for let alone beer swill and that other hard knocks stuff Wow!

You guys need to branch out some more. Its not a bottle of champagne you get a glass when your in business class before takeoff. Back in the day before i was in nappies 24x7 mate and i polished off 5 spirits before boarding and then 18 cans of beer between Syd to London.

With advent of a the 380 this has made flying time a little shorter but not that much. I have over 20 years behind me traveling for work and pleasure. On average 5-8 trips overseas per year for the last 15 years before that for 5 years I was non stop 10 perhaps 15 overseas trips a year. Then while back at home would clock up at least a weekly flight somewhere internally in Australia even now. Perth last week for 2 days this week Brisbane 2 days, next week i will be requested to be somewhere. Coast to coast in Australia is 4 1/2 sometimes up to 5 1/2 east/west depending on wind. West/east is under 4.

Sydney - NY either stop in LA or Dallas is 21 1/2 hours 23 15 mins coming home on Qantas, Delta, United and AA on a 380. Before on a 747 it was 27 1/2 on the return trip
Sydney - Finland stop in Dubai or china 26 hours 28 coming home. 380 1 stop as to far to fly direct Qantas, Emirates
Auckland - San Paulo is anywhere between 30 and 35 hours and 40-43 coming home. 380 1 stop to far to fly direct Qantas, Latam done NZ to South America numerous times
Syd to London or Scotland is 23 - 24 there 21 - 22 return. 380 1 stop
Syd to Peru 28 there 30 for a single stop that only flys only once a week otherwise it 2 stops and 35-44 hours.
Syd to Jamaica one of my fav holiday destinations 35.5 there 45-51 coming home.

Then there are times I'm in smaller places that don't act as a hub so 2 stopovers are required and most of them are between 30-45 hours depending on location. Try to avoid those flights now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back