Status
Not open for further replies.

RompingBulbasaur

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I recently got a baby bottle from the grocery store, and I really enjoy using it but I can't seem to get the hang of it and my mouth ends up hurting after I'm done. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, like maybe I'm sucking too hard or it's too small? Any tips on getting it down pat would be much appreciated! (Sorry if I'm kinda light on info)

hold with your lips and lick the nipple really hard. Also it helps to take an eXacto knife and cut the opening a little.
Heat the milk first, it changes the molecules to a very natural tranquilizer. And the warm milk feels so good in your tummy.

For larger nipples, go to a veterinary supply/feed store, they make them in all sizes going all the way up to what a calf or foal would need. And they have really big mouths compared to ours. Experiment and if you get some more methods, let me know, m'kay?

It sounds like your problem could be based on the type of bottle you are using.

Ones made for newborns and small babies say 4 months and under are designed in a way to simulate nursing and natural milk flow, possibly to make weening easier. Those types of bottles are almost useless to adults, you have to suck extremely hard to get any milk out of them and they can tire out your jaw.

Bottles made for older babies, I'd say the ones made for anything 6 months and up, can be decent, but the problem is they are still designed for actual babies, so the milk flow and nipple is optimized for them, not for grown-ups.

As LittleSissieJolie suggested, you can salvage an actual baby bottle by using an eXacto-knife or another sharp object to make the hole on the nipple larger, this will increase the milk flow and make drinking from it easier. I've done this with a couple of my baby bottles and they work ideally now, I can drink the milk without having to tire myself out and I still have to get a rhythm down to get the milk flowing. Be careful with this method though, when you are making the hole larger you have to make sure that the second hole overlaps the actual nipple perforation or else you'll wind up with two milk holes on one nipple or you could risk damaging the nipple beyond use.

I would suggest that if you want the actual bottle feeding experience and you have a little extra cash, that you consider investing in an Adult-baby bottle with a larger nipple. I own one and I tend to drink out of it fairly frequently, it really feels like you are using an actual baby bottle but one made for adults, so you don't have to struggle to get all the milk out. Here's a link to the one I have:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BIG-TOTS-Se...hash=item545140050b:m:mC0Etd0UD4iR-BypgOvc6sw

Thanks so much for the quick responses! I think I'll try making the hole a bit larger before buying anything new, but I will definitely look into those options y'all mentioned. I probably am having more trouble with it because it's aimed at 4 month old, it's a Gerber "First Essentials" from Kroger so obviously I'm not the target audience haha. I'll be sure to update y'all if I make any progress.

I use those same bottles and I always pick up the largest nipples. than I take a small scissor and make a X on the top of the nipple. perfect flow.

Good news! I tried using my lips more and cutting an X in the top of the nipple and it seems to work perfectly now! I think besides the flow being too light I was pinching with my teeth and that was causing problems. Also the warm milk is a really good touch. Thanks again for all the advice everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back