Should I get help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyNappin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
First of, this is my first post to the ic forum, I'm not at the point where i see myself as physically incontinent, not yet anyway, my question relates more to psychological dependence on protection.

Backstory,
I have been wearing nappies daily/nightly for around 5 years now, the longest ive gone 24/7 is around 5 to 6 weeks, over those 5 years ive had,
2 major bowel accidents, one protected one not, but both in public.
3 bedwetting episodes.
Countless major nappy leaks in public, around friends and family, where I was unable to hold off, or just didn't realise how full my nappy or bladder where.
Developed a fairly large and consistent post urination dribble.
And finally one mortifying, unprotected urge wetting accident when working as a 2 man team.

After that last accident I started wearing guards/pads at work, when I started working alone I got frustrated having to find somewhere to pee 3/4 times a shift while working in unfamiliar places, and started wearing and using nappies full time at work and at home, only going back to guards for social outings, this lasted for around 2 years.

Most of the time I was able to keep the pads dry, but not always, after a few leaked while wetting out of desperation rather than accidentally, I started buying and wearing tena men pullups instead of the guards safe in the knowledge they would hold a full bladder if needed, which is becoming uncomfortably often.

I feel like I should go to my gp or a continence clinic, but I'm scared they just judge me as I've just given myself theses problems and put me on meds or a bladder training programme.

Has anyone in the uk experienced getting help for lost bladder confidence/control through the nhs?

Should I try to visit a clinic first or book an appointment with my gp?

I don't have any experience with the continence service. I don't think they would provide nappies because you would definitely lose what remaining control you have very quickly. They would just recommend pelvic floor exercises. I think without the pelvic floor exercises you may find yourself becoming more and more incontinent until you reach the point that your in nappy type pads and weeping urine 24/7 because of severe stress incontinence.

I've been in nappies for four years now, after I had a major stroke that left me bladder incontinent 24/7. I was asked to wear a bag when I left hospital but I totally refused. My nappies are supplied and I get through three or four a day, all my family and friends know and for the first 18 months I was showered and changed by carers. This is a part of my life now and I don't have a problem with it.

Yes you should go to your doctor, you don't have to say that you were wearing for fun, they won't figure it out unless you show up in a baby printed diaper.

Simply say that you've been having worsening incontinence.

Because the incontinence could be the sign of something more serious

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if i were you i will see your doc right away.

3/4 times a shift isn't very often imho, health and safety says you MUST be provided with toilet facilities, but yes, see your GP asap and they def will not judge you whether you disclose you were wearing for recreation. Imho they would rather have the whole story so they are better able to help you. I'm also in UK btw,

Thanks for the advice, I should probably do an update to this at some point when I've got time.

HappyNappin said:
First of, this is my first post to the ic forum, I'm not at the point where i see myself as physically incontinent, not yet anyway, my question relates more to psychological dependence on protection.

Backstory,
I have been wearing nappies daily/nightly for around 5 years now, the longest ive gone 24/7 is around 5 to 6 weeks, over those 5 years ive had,
2 major bowel accidents, one protected one not, but both in public.
3 bedwetting episodes.
Countless major nappy leaks in public, around friends and family, where I was unable to hold off, or just didn't realise how full my nappy or bladder where.
Developed a fairly large and consistent post urination dribble.
And finally one mortifying, unprotected urge wetting accident when working as a 2 man team.

After that last accident I started wearing guards/pads at work, when I started working alone I got frustrated having to find somewhere to pee 3/4 times a shift while working in unfamiliar places, and started wearing and using nappies full time at work and at home, only going back to guards for social outings, this lasted for around 2 years.

Most of the time I was able to keep the pads dry, but not always, after a few leaked while wetting out of desperation rather than accidentally, I started buying and wearing tena men pullups instead of the guards safe in the knowledge they would hold a full bladder if needed, which is becoming uncomfortably often.

I feel like I should go to my gp or a continence clinic, but I'm scared they just judge me as I've just given myself theses problems and put me on meds or a bladder training programme.

Has anyone in the uk experienced getting help for lost bladder confidence/control through the nhs?

Should I try to visit a clinic first or book an appointment with my gp?

The NHS Continence service were a great help to me. Don't be frightened of seeing them about bladder problems they will not judge you and are very helpful.

Definitely make a doctors appointment and don't stress about talking about your bladder issues be open and honest about the number of accidents and your control levels. Wear plain white premium diapers for your doctors appintment and remember to take your diaper bag so you can change to a new diaper if wet before your appointment and for after your exam if the diaper gets damaged when removed.

Right an update before this ends up getting locked.

January wasn't a good month continence wise, I had a pretty bad flu for most of the month.
This ment i was drinking way more water than usual, to try and offset my temperature and more caffeine to keep my energy up.
So i was in nappies all month, barely exercising my bladder, if I'm wearing a nappy i regularly void small amounts almost automatically, with what i was drinking i was going through around 4 high capacity nappies a day.
Coughing was making me gush uncontrollably, or would tense my bladder causing it then void on relaxation.
Blowing my nose would cause me to pass wind, which was worrying but didn't lead to any accidents.

My cold finally eased of at the end of january and I've cut back a lot trying to go alternating days and nights without nappies unless I'm out going somewhere.

This has gave me a bit more confidence in my bladder, but i will stick to wearing them while out the house, particularly if I'm driving as any urgency is massively distracting.

even if you’re ok with 24/7, you should still go to the doctor to rule out major health issues that might be presenting with IC.

It’s always good to take your health seriously.. Like the saying goes “If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of myself”.

I would go to your doctor they will possibly send you to urology Dept of Nhs hospital for a urodynamics test where they will test your bladder peak flow and fill your bladder with saline water to see how your bladder holds and how long for it's then you will know the outcome of your problems

I'd see your GP, explain your issues with leakage and ask if you can be referred to your local continence service. They may also recommend taking a bladder control drug to help your control issues.

The rule of thumb with continence service is that they will provide you with three pads a day, regardless of thickness. They don't provide pull-ups, so I would suggest you try Tena Flex. These are not full-blown tape-on nappies but they are a step up from pull-ups. They're designed for people who have incontinence issues but still have some bladder control and they're much easier to untape and refasten than a traditional nappy.

I hope this helps you - Good luck!

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back