Not open for further replies.

BabyNeut

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
Hello and happy new years all! Well soon :D
So question for all those who have cribs. Did you buy them from a builder? Build them or get a random woodworker to build one? I’m thinking of getting a crib and my options are limited. Sooo I’m thinking confronting a random local/ out of town woodworker or just buying from babyapparels. Although a reputable builder I find the crib to short and the rails not deep enough IMO. But maybe I’ll hafta make due cause you know they’ll be build good! Anyone have review on that company? Whose personally bought? Thank you all have a good one! :D

Personally, I really prefer real baby cribs, and things. I am small, so maybe that helps? But there's just something that feels so good about actual baby things!

How much are you thinking of spending? Having a wood worker build you a custom crib could be expansive.

Have you thought about creating a pseudo crib? Just put up some railings around a twin mattress and pretend it is a crib?

I live by the Amish , if I wanted one built that would be my first thought, they build stuff like tanks only with wood .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I've had a couple of 'real' baby cribs, including one identical to the crib I had when I was a 'real' baby. However, I've found it far less expensive to buy a used pediatric or medical crib. They're built like tanks - literally - and can withstand years of AB usage. Since you can find hospital cribs that are 6' long, you'll fit in one much more comfortably. A former nanny used to change my pants while I was sleeping in a hospital crib, which is almost impossible with a baby crib.

The only problem lies with weight ... typically, a hospital crib is extremely heavy and very difficult to disassemble.

If you can find one on eBay or elsewhere that's close enough to you, you might consider renting a Home Depot van or truck to pick it up. If you dress it up with bright bumper pads and sheets, it will certainly look the part.

Last edited:
Here is how I approached building my crib. I visited a lot of online bedding stores and found a headboard that looked good. I then ordered 2 headboards. Then you need to find the locking side mattress supports. These I had to get elsewhere because I am over 6ft tall and needed a very long crib. Next, a mattress. Finally, the hardest part is the crib rail. That I made from maple 3/4 x 1-1/2" rounded over on one side. And 3/8" dowel to make 19 slats per rail. Once you start a project like this you become possessed to see it through. Hard to describe any other way. And as noted the parts to complete the crib rail slide and latch can be found here: http://www.productsamerica.com/cribpartsindex.html

PaddedBritany said:
Personally, I really prefer real baby cribs, and things. I am small, so maybe that helps? But there's just something that feels so good about actual baby things!

I also prefer real baby stuff, always have. That’s probably because I’m only 4’8” and can fit into real baby stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's cool that your small.. I wish I was small.. being 6,2 really sucks sometimes..

Littlejimmybuckaroo said:
That's cool that your small.. I wish I was small.. being 6,2 really sucks sometimes..
Look up the "Utica crib" on Wikipedia, that's an eyefull of adult locking crib.
Also for big people is the adult rehab bed , it breaks into two pieces on wheels you can roll around , and it can go down to the floor or all the way up for your Aide to easily change or dress you , there are also upgrades to the bed for elder dementia care were a canopy thats locking encloses the bed so they cant get up and wander away i use a rehab bed because of my medical problems with padded siderails because i also have epilepsy and unpadded rails have caused broken arms, wrists and skulls during seizures, so finding a rehab bed can usually be had for cheap to free because when one of us dies family and friends just want to get rid of them I see them in Craigslist and places like that all the time for between free and $300 , there good sturdy powder coat steel frames and if your creative you can make all kinds of modifications to customize it to your tastes.

Last edited:
sweetie said:
I also prefer real baby stuff, always have. That’s probably because I’m only 4’8” and can fit into real baby stuff

4'8? Ugh some people have all the luck... lol

I build the "Babica PlayCrib," which is working well these days. Google Babica products if you are interested.

KawaiiBabyjenni said:
4'8? Ugh some people have all the luck... lol

Yes 4’8. I can fit in toddler car seats and those jogging strollers.

sweetie said:
Yes 4’8. I can fit in toddler car seats and those jogging strollers

Now you're just rubbing it in... lucky little... :smile1:

I would love to have a crib one day, would probably attempt to make one myself.

BabyBoyRyan said:
Now you're just rubbing it in... lucky little... :smile1:

I would love to have a crib one day, would probably attempt to make one myself.

I have a wooden day bed, three sides are kind high and the one side with no side I have a couple pillows, so kind of like a crib

sweetie said:
I have a wooden day bed, three sides are kind high and the one side with no side I have a couple pillows, so kind of like a crib

Put an eye hook in the wall with a piece of rope and wheels on the day bed , problem solved!

Oh the wheels so I can face the open side against the wall. Cool, I never thought about that.

im learning to be a carpenter and I was joking with my friend who's a little about building adult cribs but is a possibility

I have a great crib from Kayserbetten typ Hannah with 135 cm rails and a top to prevent climbing.

These cribs are absolutely phantastic because the are very stable and effective to keep the baby in.
The doors can be locked and additionally secured by a bar that can be locked with 2 segufix locks.

Without the key the baby will stay in the crib until it is released.

Of course you can limit the possibilities by using a locking sleeping bag or hospital restraints like segufix.

If you don't mind me asking @ss44bb, how much did your Kayserbetten cost you please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back