Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclectic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
This topic has come up numerous times on this forum, but I want to share this post based on medical fact. First, what exactly is incontinence? Incontinence is an inability to control bladder or bowel function. Millions of people experience some form of incontinence, if only a few times, throughout their lives. What's important to note is incontinence is a symptom of a disease, injury, congenital defect or external stimulus (e.g. drug). If you are incontinent you may also suffer from other not so pleasant symptoms of whatever ails you.

While I understand the fantasy of wanting to wet uncontrollably, if you are thinking about this, you must understand the reality. There are essentially four types of incontinence 1) functional - you are aware of the need to urinate, but cannot get to the bathroom because of some physical or mental barrier, 2) urge - you feel a sudden and frequent need to urinate that occurs too quickly for you to make it to the bathroom, 3) stress - you feel the need to urinate, but you cannot hold it when you cough, laugh, bend over or otherwise put stress on you body, and 4) mixed - a mixture of the above.

I have been urge incontinent for my entire life and severely so in the last 14 years. Previously I have said on this forum that one cannot become incontinent by wearing diapers, but I think it is possible. How so? Well, let's focus on the bladder to see how it works.

There are three main areas that regulate a normally functioning urinary response in people: 1) the nervous system, 2) the badder, and 3) the sphincters. Faults in any of these three can lead to incontinence. The sphincters are muscles that you tighten and loosen over your urethra (the tube that leads from you bladder to the outside world). A weak sphincter leads to stress incontinence and there are exercises called Kegels aimed at strengthening your pelvic floor muscles to keep you from involuntarily losing urine.

Now an analogy. What would happen if I decided I didn't want to walk anymore and decided I wanted to use a wheelchair all the time? Over time (months and years) my legs would atrophy and my ability to walk would be diminished. My life would change dramatically and my health would probably deteriorate too. That's crazy you say! It may be an extreme example, but it's analogous to what would happen if you were to wear diapers everyday releasing your urine as soon as you felt any pressure. In essence, you would have voluntarily atrophied your sphincter muscles and become stress incontinent. This is why most urologists don't want their patients wearing diapers. They are a double edge sword. Could you get your continence back? Probably. Stress incontinence is one of the easiest to cure medically speaking (see Kegel exercises referenced above).

The reality is this. If you were to tell your doctor, loved one or even person on the street you want to purposely harm your body, they wouldn't understand. In fact, any doctor would call that pathological. That's because it is. A cynical and selfish person might even say why not just jump off a four story building and get it over with? See where I'm going here. Just because you might be able to give yourself stress incontinence does not mean you should do it. Please consider this very carefully. Being incontinent is no game and no fantasy.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: lilgirllil and MotherFaith
Spaz said:
This topic has come up numerous times on this forum, but I want to share this post based on medical fact. First, what exactly is incontinence? Incontinence is an inability to control bladder or bowel function. Millions of people experience some form of incontinence, if only a few times, throughout their lives. What's important to note is incontinence is a symptom of a disease, injury, congenital defect or external stimulus (e.g. drug). If you are incontinent you may also suffer from other not so pleasant symptoms of whatever ails you.

While I understand the fantasy of wanting to wet uncontrollably, if you are thinking about this, you must understand the reality. There are essentially four types of incontinence 1) functional - you are aware of the need to urinate, but cannot get to the bathroom because of some physical or mental barrier, 2) urge - you feel a sudden and frequent need to urinate that occurs too quickly for you to make it to the bathroom, 3) stress - you feel the need to urinate, but you cannot hold it when you cough, laugh, bend over or otherwise put stress on you body, and 4) mixed - a mixture of the above.

I have been urge incontinent for my entire life and severely so in the last 14 years. Previously I have said on this forum that one cannot become incontinent by wearing diapers, but I think it is possible. How so? Well, let's focus on the bladder to see how it works.

There are three main areas that regulate a normally functioning urinary response in people: 1) the nervous system, 2) the badder, and 3) the sphincters. Faults in any of these three can lead to incontinence. The sphincters are muscles that you tighten and loosen over your urethra (the tube that leads from you bladder to the outside world). A weak sphincter leads to stress incontinence and there are exercises called Kegels aimed at strengthening your pelvic floor muscles to keep you from involuntarily losing urine.

Now an analogy. What would happen if I decided I didn't want to walk anymore and decided I wanted to use a wheelchair all the time? Over time (months and years) my legs would atrophy and my ability to walk would be diminished. My life would change dramatically and my health would probably deteriorate too. That's crazy you say! It may be an extreme example, but it's analogous to what would happen if you were to wear diapers everyday releasing your urine as soon as you felt any pressure. In essence, you would have voluntarily atrophied your sphincter muscles and become stress incontinent. This is why most urologists don't want their patients wearing diapers. They are a double edge sword. Could you get your continence back? Probably. Stress incontinence is one of the easiest to cure medically speaking (see Kegel exercises referenced above).

The reality is this. If you were to tell your doctor, loved one or even person on the street you want to purposely harm your body, they wouldn't understand. In fact, any doctor would call that pathological. That's because it is. A cynical and selfish person might even say why not just jump off a four story building and get it over with? See where I'm going here. Just because you might be able to give yourself stress incontinence does not mean you should do it. Please consider this very carefully. Being incontinent is no game and no fantasy.

So I can speak to this. I’ve been wearing diapers on and off for years. Over 15 years. I’m the last three months I’ve started experiencing inconitenece. To the point I’ve seen a urologist, neurologist, and primary care physicians trying to determine why I’m leakkng urine without any control. I’m currently cathing three times daily and using diapers as they are meant to be used. Not by choice but by need. The Dr’s have said this is more than likely permanent and I have been diagnosed with Urinary inconitenence without sensory awareness. Trust me when I say I had moments where I wanted to become dependent on diapers. Now that I’m in them for medical need they aren’t so great. Diaper changes when it’s not convenient, carrying spare diapers everywhere you go. Telling family and friends. Life in diapers sounds great but once it’s not a choice it’s a whole different experience that’s not one to wish for.

Reactions: Luke937
Being diapered 24/7 is a pain, I have no choice but to wear due to a OAB issue and have come to terms with it but I would never choose to be come incontinent.
yes there are advantages to being diapered 24/7 but the negitives out weigh the positives if you have a choice not to wear please rethink you desire to become diapered 24/7 ask any one who is incontinent and has no choice to wear and the majority will say they wish they could be free of diapers.

Exactly this! I don't have the need to wear 24/7. But there are times where I have to wear more often than others, depending what I'm doing/having a bad time controlling/other factors.

I have no clue why anyone would desire to want to be incontinent, it's no fun at all, the fun side of needing a diaper when out suddenly becomes very stressful when you don't want others seeing your spares in your bag and having to find places to change.

Saying that I still enjoy using within the house where I have the freedom to make it more fun.

Howdy21 said:
Thank you Spaz and everyone who commented. What are your thoughts about Uncontrolled Wetting in Diapers Only? That's the direction I'm going. http://understanding.infantilism.org/wetting_diapers.php

My experience is incontinence whether I'm wearing or not. However, imo, I would be prepared for wetting episodes outside of wearing diapers if you decide to go this route. I suppose it depends on how much you wear and for how long. Another factor is confidence in your diaper. It's stressful to have leaks especially if you can't help it.

That's interesting, if I don't wear I get anxious about being near a loo, and visit one whenever the opportunity occurs, when I do wear I can go quite a while before needing the loo if I don't drink very much, if anything. In my own home, I still wear all the time as I enjoy the comfort, and if working in my garden I can just leak when I need to without taking muddy boots off when going back inside for the loo. I wear old jeans when outside so can just pee as freely as I like,,,

I would definitely NOT choose to be genuinely incontinent, but perhaps my bladder anxiety issues put me somewhere on the spectrum, I would welcome feedback from others on this, thank you!

wearing and using diapers once in a while probably will not affect your sphincter muscles to much you will just get use to peeing freely in your diaper (most times) how ever if you wear and use to much and you keep your sphincter muscles relaxed you will weeken them to the point of accidents in or out of diapers so you may need diapers 24/7 and then the more youe wear an uses the weaker your mucles become.

there is no hard and fast rule that you will become incontinent by wearing and using diapers with out an underlying issue but it is possiable over time as your body adapts and your muscle memory weakens. I have been wearing for 3 years due to my OAB and I can say I have lost most of my remaining bladder control over that time frame.

regaining control for the second time as an adult is very hard and almost impossible insome cases especially if you start to wet at night while sleeping.

if you are going to wear and use your diaper do not relax your muscles when you pee and clamp down like you normaly would when you finish peeing to keep your mucles intact this may help prevent diaper dependancy but may lead to it as you get hooked on using your diaper for convenience.

as others have recommended if hou are going to wear, wear for comfort only and use diaper for emergencies only

I would consider myself functionally\urge incontinent. I pee a lot, so frequency is an issue but a lot of times I don’t get a lot of warning, sometimes also random dribbles to. Now it wasn’t so bad a few years back but that’s also when I had better vision. This is where I say I consider myself functionally iC, I have seriously compromised vision from only one eye and use a cane. Lighting effects what I can or can’t see so I have like 10 different pairs of sunglasses. So needless to say my navigation is substantially slowed down. So it takes me at lot longer to find and get to a bathroom in a safe manner, assuming I’m I may familiar enough with my surroundings or not on the bus. So diapers have become a necessity for me and have taken a lot of the stress and anxiety out of going out and about.

When it comes down to it, there's a line between fantasy and reality and it's one that everyone should be aware of before doing anything that might be considered self-harm.

Reducing your ability to control your own bladder can be harmful and would you really be prepared for the long term consequences?

I wear out of psychological needs, which are certainly just as legitimate as medical ones. Yet any fantasies I have about incontinence, urinary or fecal, are just that. Fantasies. I would much rather have control for as long as humanly possible.

i have noticed that wearing nappies persistently over the last few years has definitely had an impact on my continence. I used to have a very strong sphincter muscle where I found in incredibly difficult to wet, I had to stand like a statue and concentrate to wet and a very large volume would flood my nappy and than my sphincter would spasm and clamp shut. It was impossible to wet walking or lying down.

My sphincter as it is now will just dribble and drip small amounts. It's totally relaxed without any sphincter spasming. When I do clench my sphincter midway though wetting it releases straight away and I continue to dribble and the flow just dribbles. I have a large post micturition dribble when I use the toilet and when I go for a poo I dribble without much control. That indicates my continence is not as strong as it used to be. I can sit and lay down and freely wet without my sphincter clenching. I still have control but when I'm not wearing it feels like I need the toilet all the time.

As for impact on my life if I become incontinent, I don't think it would have much. I have mixed feeling about incontinence especially bowel incontinence but I'm in a good position financially. I'm on disability benefits. I have more than enough nappies delivered automatically every 4th Thursday because I have a standing order set up. I think if I become incontinent I would embrace it.

This has been a wish of mine for a long time. I know however that its not all it's cracked up to be and I would regret any permanent modifications to make it a reality. But still fun to fantasize about.

Reactions: SalemRose
I think anyone who wants to become incontinent is insane. The idea of not having control is intriguing I have tried a method or two to achieve it in my younger days (mainly hypnosis affirmations), but the closest I'll ever actually want to being incontinent is the so-called "conditional incontinence" that occurs when I wear a diaper which is essentially the opposite of shy bladder.

I can honestly say my incontinence doesn't bother me at all.

Reactions: SalemRose and incontinente
I only recently realized threat I've had urge incontinence for years, but only recently due to changing jobs. Before I would only get that emergency you got to go now when going into a cooler and if I lost any urine no one would notice. Between then and now I have had jobs where i wasn't confronted by these conditions and because of that never paid any attention to it. Now though 6yrs later I'm in a job again where I constantly go from warm to cold and my urge incontinence is bad enough and I lose enough urine I've had to start wearing pull ups. It's certainly is better than having to wear 24/7 but with every episode I worry about leaking. Bathrooms aren't always near by or available when your a delivery driver and changing isn't necessarily easy either. Especially when the store only has a private bathroom. When I was younger (and stupid) I thought "yeah wear a diaper, how bad can it be" well it's not bad, when your diaper is full and you can control not going any more.

I think we can all broaden our understanding on this desire. Some years ago, I wrote a series of blog posts on my profile providing some perspective on the topic. From what I have noticed, the fantasy aspect is mostly a phase that roughly 90-95% of younger AB/DLs will grow out of. I believe there may be something deeper going on with the 5-10% who don't. I posited a theory that this desire may be a very lesser known form of Body Integrity Identity Disorder, a neuropsychological didorder commonly associated with people who have a strong desire to be amputees. There has been recent research linking the disorder to an irregularity in right superior parietal lobe, the part of the brain that processes sensory input between the body and brain and holds the internal "body map" so to speak. I myself consider myself functionally incontinent due to some pretty serious IBS flareups which make going without diapers doable, but inconvenient for me.

For most, it seems to just be a passing phase and the best we can do is guide them through it, help them decide for themselves if this just a phase, or something more. For those for whom it's not a phase, the best we can do is offer advice and suggest they find the appropriate course of treatment for their particular case.

It's a interesting point about BIID. I read that people with BIIP become sexual aroused thinking about amputation, if thats the case I think incontinence desires fall within the remit of BIIP. I know I become sexually aroused with becoming double incontinent, that's the only sexual feeling I have, I don't become aroused with other peoples incontinence.. I'm on my way to becoming incontinent now and I very happy with my progress, fortunately it's a lot more easy achieving total incontinence then having a limb amputated which must be a terrible affliction to have considering the struggles and thoughts I have had over the years with my own incontinence desires and wanting to hurt myself. At least I could just wear a nappy and pretend to be incontinent and that gave me some satisfaction, if people found out I was wearing adult nappies they automatically assumed I was incontinent. it must be hard pretending to be limbless and I understand the very strong desire and need in wanting something really bad, it drives you to crazy thoughts and actions.

I personally think their is a huge difference with people wanting incontinence because it gives them a valid reason to wear 24/7 and having acceptance and people who's whole sexual arousal revolves around incontinence, nothing else! I think that's why it's very hit and miss when people set out to achieve incontinence. On hand you have people who like the thought of incontinence but live a pretty normal life with the added fetishism (which fetishism is common to have in diffrent forms) then you have the people who are totally dedicated to incontinence and achieving their goals as it's more ingrained. You mostly hear ' you don't want incontinence' speeches from the people who fall in and out of incontinence desires. The people that have always wanted to be incontinent they tell you that they've never been happier when they achieve it, they feel more whole as a person, these are the people with true BIID, if that makes sense?

Last edited:
I get offended when people go around calling people idiots because they don't agree with what they say so they result to insults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back