Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyh

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Wanted to share this with you all.

Just before Xmas I had man flu and it got me. I spent 5 days in bed. Anyway on the 6th day I felt much better and went about my day as normal, later that day I had a few glasses of red as you do went to bed wrapped in my cloth nappy.

About 9pm I was really finding it hard to get or take a breathe. My wife and I were very worried and the wife rang for an ambulance, about 20 mins later two of our finest turned up.

I'm very open with family and even some friends know about my bedwetting and the fact that I use nappies to help with the problem.

At this point I was just in my nappy and a pair of plastic pants in bed. I wasn't embarrassed I was still trying to breathe and was asked by John one of the paramedics to try and sit up so they could do some tests and pop on a nebulizer mask to help me breathe.

I remember my wife and the other paramedic (Sue) talking just outside the room about why I was wearing a nappy, the wife told her that I wet the bed. Oh, ok she said. (Like it happens every day to them)

Anyway while John and I worked on my breathing it was suggested that I would have to pay a visit to hospital. "What about this" Pointing at my nappy.
"what about it? don't worry about it. People in hospital wear pads you know"

Now I know this but this is a full on very thick cloth nappy and plastic pants was all remember thinking. Fighting to put on my pyjamas and dressing gown we left for hospital.

Fast-forward. Hospital, onto a ward. Blood pressure, bloods and that thing they put on your finger to check something else all went fine. Right we'll need to do a ECG on you and those stickers the crew put on are no good we'll have to change them. Can you take off your top please I'll be right back.

Yep. I'm thinking. Ok if I take off my top your so going to see it.

Well another nurse came back to do the ECG and began to hook me up. I was breathing a lot better at this point.

"What's this" referring to my plastic pants.
"I wet the bed and I use them to save the sheets"
"Makes sense, but why cloth and plastic pants"
"Because it's cheaper than disposables"
"Well if you need any help changing that just let us know"
"I think I can cope thanks" It was a little wet and at 12:30am I just knew I would need to change it at some point.

At about 2:30am I had a visit from a Junior Doctor. Now he must have been talking to the nurses and seemed to be more interested in the fact that I used nappies for bedwetting instead of what I was taken into hospital for.

"Is that something that you would like us to look into?"
"Look doc I've seen doctors all my life about it and none of them could give or tell me why I wet the bed"
"Ok so it's been a problem since you were a child?" Don't you think that they would check the records of patents (they must all be on a computer somewhere)
"Ok, so you'll need to go for a chest X-ray. I'll sort that out"

Now I'm sure some of you have spent a night in hospital and you just cant get any sleep. Bleeps, people in the room being sick and others sounding as if they will die at any min. Not to mention the nurses and doctors on nights thinking well if I have to work they'll not sleep on my shift.

3:45am Porter turns up. "I'm here to take you to X-ray, can you stand to sit in this chair?"

"Yep" off we go. Gets to X-ray. Nurse says.

"Can you take off your pyjama top and dressing gown off and stand in front of that screen"

Well I did and yep you guessed it my plastic pants are showing under my pyjama bottoms, I wasn't worried now who see's. I suppose I felt the whole place had seen them and they just didn't care.

Back on the ward I see the nurse that did my ECG come into the room to see another patient. "Nurse" I whispered (not sure why as I said earlier everyone was speaking normally).

"I need to change, but I'll need something to pop this one into so can take it home to wash"
"No probs, give me 5 mins"

She came back with a plastic bag and a Attends slip 8 "If you need any help let me know, I'll wait just outside the loo"

"I'll be fine thanks" Went into the loo and changed I thought to myself this Attends is so thin, It'll not last long. I popped my very wet, very heavy cloth into the bag that the nurse provided and went back to bed.

6:45am now. After what seemed to be about 10 mins sleep (must have been more) I'd shared the night with 3 other blokes, oh the guy that I said I thought was going to Die was fine. :) The young man that was throwing up all night was still doing so. I we had the pleasure of a Canadian that was peeing into a bottle all night, my god he could pee!

7am All the lights came on and the tea lady came round, more ops so I took the opportunity to ask the nurse what time the doctors came onto the ward.
"between 9-10, everything else ok?" what I didn't realise was she was enquiring if I needed another change. "Well yeah, I do" "Ok 2mins" now at this point all the curtains are open on the ward so we can now see each other.

"Morning" says the old chap in the bed next to me, the young man that was throwing up all night was still doing so. (I felt for him) and the Canadian couldn't see a foot in front of him. Nurse comes back into the room with another Attends like it was a form I had to sign. My god, at least try to hide it!

I just remember laying back on the bed and holding my arm over my head! I got up and walked to the loo and changed, opened the bin to put the used nappy only to see another one. Not mine, I only used the one I just took off.

Anyway a little later the registrar came round with a junior doctor and told me that I had a chest infection from Man Flu. Gave me a inhaler and off home he sent me. No mention of the bedwetting (must have taken a look at my notes) :)

So why share my experience? I was never embarrassed who would see me in a nappy, it's hard to explain but it wasn't embarrassment.

I read a lot on adisc about people finding out about your wearing of nappies and I do feel for you and think that peoples mind set needs to change. I know that's not going to happen overnight but I do think it will happen.

We should all be what or who we want to be. I do think as a bed wetter that nappies and the use of them as a tool is and always will be more accepted than someone that just likes to wear and even use them. Don't get me wrong I do like them and the security they give me and most of you can relate to that.

Just be yourself.

Great post! I wear medical diapers 24/7 (normally Northshore Supremes), but have tried a few of the AB diapers out there just to break up the monotony... every time I do I can't help thinking "but what if I end up in the hospital for something!", haha. This is also comforting, as I have a few old injuries to my ankles and knees that prooobably will require surgery in the future, but I'm putting it off due to dread of medical professionals asking about my diaper, which I am still a little self-conscious of. I've had so many tests done on my bladder with no results, I'm just done with that.

On the flip side, I've heard other stories such as "we don't do diapers here, we'll change your bedding if you have an accident", so it's good to hear that not all hospitals are as uncomfortably cold to the needs of people like us.

In the doctor's defense, he probably figured you were going to be there awhile and it wouldn't hurt to give you the full tune up.

When I was in the hospital for some foot infection and homeless, they wanted to try to help me with technology homeless thing. They also asked about my Aspergers and they flipped a shit over the fact that I didn't pick a religion on the intake form.

All in all, I wish the medical community in America was as concerned with a patient's well-being as they seem to be in the UK.

just before i read your thread i wrote about my experience in the hospital. they are all polite and diapers are a thing they deal with every day.

ggreggy said:
just before i read your thread i wrote about my experience in the hospital. they are all polite and diapers are a thing they deal with every day.

Yeah I seen that. Good for you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back