Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New use for the panic button.

Default New use for the panic button.

So after I realized that the panic button was supposed to be for a redirect URL, I thought of a different use for it.

If I find a thread I like on the "New Posts" list, I click on the button that takes me to the most recent post. What do I do if I want to go back to the new posts list? I could hit "Back", but that won't reflect the fact that I just viewed a post.

Solution? Enable the panic button feature in your userCP, and set the redirect url to be a search query.

Set the URL field to this:

http://www.adisc.org/forum/search.php?do=getnew

Save changes, and have a look at a thread. Now the panic button is there, and it's essentially the same as the "New Posts" button on the top menu bar.

~Jonathan

[edit]

This obviously is only a good idea for people who don't need the ability to hide the forums really quickly, as the PANIC button is supposed to be for.

Also, this tip has been posted on the Wiki along with instructions on setting up the panic button feature in general.
    Last edited by Jon; 03-Mar-2008 at 16:44.

hmm i gd idea but i need the button (if only all sites had a panic button)

You know, you could just have posted that in the panic button thread instead of creating a new one.

www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

That said, all you need to do to update your viewed threads is refresh the page.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSunDS View Post
    You know, you could just have posted that in the panic button thread instead of creating a new one.

www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

That said, all you need to do to update your viewed threads is refresh the page.

Wrong.

First off, this is a separate use of the panic button. If the mods feel that it should go in that thread, they will move it.

Second, refreshing will NOT do the same thing. That's not how queries work.
    When you query new posts, it generates that list that you see. Refresh will just show you the same list, because it does not re-query.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Wrong.

First off, this is a separate use of the panic button. If the mods feel that it should go in that thread, they will move it.

Second, refreshing will NOT do the same thing. That's not how queries work.
    When you query new posts, it generates that list that you see. Refresh will just show you the same list, because it does not re-query.
    Maybe it's different with the New Posts section, but when I do that on the forums, it works. I might be mistaken. But I guess it's a good idea to use the panic button for some part of the website that takes a while to find, though most users will prefer to set a website like about:blank, Google or YouTube to hide ADISC from their parents/siblings/friends.

I still think that it's a better idea to post anything related to the panic button in the panic button thread. v.v

Bah, I don't need that. I just scroll all the way up to the top and click it there! Easy!

Good Idea! I actually think it's annoying to scroll up, hehe. So after replying I can just click the panic button. Thank you for that!