Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclectic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
I usually don't post personal stuff on here, but as anybody who has read my past posts would know, I've been urge incontinent my whole life. It became much worse in my 20's and 30's. About 10 years ago, I went through cytoscopic and urodynamic testing, which showed how terribly bad my bladder had become. It barely holds anything before my nerves signal it to empty.

Anyway, I'm a little freaked out because about 5 months ago I had a really bad UTI. I think it had gotten up into my kidneys because my symptoms were severe, but the hospital couldn't confirm that. Anyhow, I've got a new urologist now who is concerned about my bladder and I'm scheduled for another cytoscope and urodynamic test at the end of the month (he's new because I recently moved to another part of the state).

The first test in 2007 was a nightmare. I can withstand a lot of pain and this was one of the most painful things I had ever been through. I keep thinking they must have forgotten to use any kind of anesthetizing gel. They actually stopped trying to insert the catheter for a little bit because of how much I was writhing in pain. I really hope this isn't a repeat performance.

I stopped taking drugs for my OAB years ago. The current doctor, of course, has already talked to me about botox injections and interstims. He has also mentioned bladder retraining therapy, although I don't know what that entails. I just want to know if I'm slowly going south because of all this or I can keep managing things the way they are. Every year I get a general health screening and blood work up and my GP says things look great, keep doing what you are doing.

Anyway, my Christmas present is testing, testing, one two three.

I feel for you. My urodynamics tests were all much the same. Incredibly painful doesn't even beging to describe the bladder pain they put on me.

I've been through the botox too. Guess what, it is a temporary bandaid at best but will likely make things much worse. And, with botox that even works, it works less and less each time you get it done. Tell your doctor you're looking for a more permanent solution, and save yourself from the useless botox.

I've also been through the interstim. Don't fall for the numbers trick. An 80% success rate for only half of those who get it means the other half who get it don't have an markedly good improvement at all- or worse. And 80% of 50% is an overall, measely, 40% success rate for interstim.

I can also say that when I had the test implant, that was a horrible three weeks or pain. It was a constant electro shock, akin to torture. It also left my sacral nerve fried afterwards, and left me in worse shape than when I started the test implant. Be EXTREMELY cautious in thinking about having this done. AND I had to undergo two surgeries to have it put in then removed.

I’ve had urodynamic testing and cystoscopic exams a few times. And I agree that they are not fun. However, since you haven’t had them done in some time and given your recent UTI, I would suggest that you go through with them. However, I agree with Slomo about Botox and interstim. I’ve found that in the long run the easiest and most efficient way to manage my urge incontinence is just to wear a diaper.

Inconinmiss said:
I’ve had urodynamic testing and cystoscopic exams a few times. And I agree that they are not fun. However, since you haven’t had them done in some time and given your recent UTI, I would suggest that you go through with them. However, I agree with Slomo about Botox and interstim. I’ve found that in the long run the easiest and most efficient way to manage my urge incontinence is just to wear a diaper.

"Just wear a nappy" I couldn't agree more. My wife said exactly the same when I became incontinent. She told me to stop worrying and wear nappies and get on with my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back