BabyAshie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
I've never played a Souls game, and I'm starting out in Bloodborne. Pretty hard I won't lie... anyone play these games, and if so, any advise for a souls/borne newbie? :p

I've played all 5, finished all of them except Demon's Souls (not that it's any harder than the rest, just put it down after a few hours).
Bloodborne is an odd case, on one hand I'd recommend it to newbies as it streamlines the formula greatly (no carry capacity, no class choices, etc.), but on the other hand I find it the most challenging game in the series (it has the only boss in the series I cannot beat, people who've finished the DLC will know the arsehole I'm referring to).
For a newbie, I've got 3 tips:
1) Explore. If a boss or elite enemy is repeatedly curb-stomping you, back up and explore the surrounding area, chances are you'll find items to help you in said fight, or even entire optional levels to go through and get more XP to make yourself stronger.

2) Ignore Bloodtinge and Arcane. It's the same in Souls games, HP, stamina and physical damage should be the only thing a first-timer worries about. Investing precious upgrade points into Bloodtinge or Arcane is taking points away from the vital stats. Arcane is useful, but only if you know the items and weapons that take advantage of it. I've never found a use for Bloodtinge, aside from the two or three weapons that need it.

3) Buy Blood vials. You have a finite number of them, unlike in Souls, so eventually, if a boss is beating down over and over, you will run out (no shame in that, happened to me my first time against the boss at the top of the snowy castle). It doesn't take long before leveling up once costs an obscene number of Echoes, so chances are you'll have some left over. The further you progress through the game, the more they will cost from the shop, so start buying them soon.

Finally, persevere. There will be times where an enemy ambushes you and kills you, where several enemies rush you at once and kill, where you get a boss down to their last pixel of health and they kill you. But just take a step back, ask yourself why you died, and do better next time.
Hope this Souls rambled helped!

I'm a pretty big fan of the Souls series.

For the Souls games, explore. Exploring every area will net you free souls, weapons, keys, stuff like that. For just starting out I would suggest using a 1handed weapon and shield, because the shield is your friend.

Absolutely don't give up on it either there will be times where your hands are shaking and sweating, because you just killed the boss with a pixel of health and no estus flask left at all.

SnowBlitz said:
For just starting out I would suggest using a 1handed weapon and shield, because the shield is your friend.

Not so much with Bloodborne, the only shield in that game was used as a joke by the devs, and you're far better off learning to parry with a gun anyway.
In Souls, I'd argue it's far more of a crutch than a friend. Yeah, the amazing 'block, stab, block, stab' technique works on basically anything, but when late game enemies and bosses show up that will stagger you into oblivion if you don't avoid their attacks, you'll be thankful for the time you put into getting good at the dodge roll.

Shadow456 said:
Not so much with Bloodborne, the only shield in that game was used as a joke by the devs, and you're far better off learning to parry with a gun anyway.
In Souls, I'd argue it's far more of a crutch than a friend. Yeah, the amazing 'block, stab, block, stab' technique works on basically anything, but when late game enemies and bosses show up that will stagger you into oblivion if you don't avoid their attacks, you'll be thankful for the time you put into getting good at the dodge roll.

Yeah, tbh I've heard playing with a shield makes it a lot easier, with bloodborne, since shields are garbage, it's kinda teaching me to play the game a more fun aproach, not saying you can't have fun, but it's teaching me to time my dodges and ect. So if I play more of these games, I might not use a shield unless it's nessesary.

- - - Updated - - -

Shadow456 said:
I've played all 5, finished all of them except Demon's Souls (not that it's any harder than the rest, just put it down after a few hours).
Bloodborne is an odd case, on one hand I'd recommend it to newbies as it streamlines the formula greatly (no carry capacity, no class choices, etc.), but on the other hand I find it the most challenging game in the series (it has the only boss in the series I cannot beat, people who've finished the DLC will know the arsehole I'm referring to).
For a newbie, I've got 3 tips:
1) Explore. If a boss or elite enemy is repeatedly curb-stomping you, back up and explore the surrounding area, chances are you'll find items to help you in said fight, or even entire optional levels to go through and get more XP to make yourself stronger.

2) Ignore Bloodtinge and Arcane. It's the same in Souls games, HP, stamina and physical damage should be the only thing a first-timer worries about. Investing precious upgrade points into Bloodtinge or Arcane is taking points away from the vital stats. Arcane is useful, but only if you know the items and weapons that take advantage of it. I've never found a use for Bloodtinge, aside from the two or three weapons that need it.

3) Buy Blood vials. You have a finite number of them, unlike in Souls, so eventually, if a boss is beating down over and over, you will run out (no shame in that, happened to me my first time against the boss at the top of the snowy castle). It doesn't take long before leveling up once costs an obscene number of Echoes, so chances are you'll have some left over. The further you progress through the game, the more they will cost from the shop, so start buying them soon.

Finally, persevere. There will be times where an enemy ambushes you and kills you, where several enemies rush you at once and kill, where you get a boss down to their last pixel of health and they kill you. But just take a step back, ask yourself why you died, and do better next time.
Hope this Souls rambled helped!

Thanks for the advice. :3 I was just fighting a boss last night when I was doing SO GOOD and it hit me, poisened me, and since antidote's take 10k years to use I died. Y'know, when I first borrowed the game from my friend I thought I would rage at it and break my controller. But since from the very start I accepted "yeah, I will die." I feel calm and collected and just say "nope, I'm getting my 9k blood echo's back." And then when I do it I just feel the most satisfaction a game has ever given me. I mean never, and I do mean NEVER, has a game made me yell PROGRESS when opening a gate becak to the check poit of finding a shortcut. Ever.

BabyAshie said:
Yeah, tbh I've heard playing with a shield makes it a lot easier, with bloodborne, since shields are garbage, it's kinda teaching me to play the game a more fun aproach, not saying you can't have fun, but it's teaching me to time my dodges and ect. So if I play more of these games, I might not use a shield unless it's nessesary. Thanks for the advice. :3 I was just fighting a boss last night when I was doing SO GOOD and it hit me, poisened me, and since antidote's take 10k years to use I died. Y'know, when I first borrowed the game from my friend I thought I would rage at it and break my controller. But since from the very start I accepted "yeah, I will die." I feel calm and collected and just say "nope, I'm getting my 9k blood echo's back." And then when I do it I just feel the most satisfaction a game has ever given me. I mean never, and I do mean NEVER, has a game made me yell PROGRESS when opening a gate becak to the check poit of finding a shortcut. Ever.

I wouldn't say go without the shield, especially on a blind run. I did a no-shield run of DS 2 (I chose that one because it has the slowest combat) and it wasn't too bad, archers and booby-trapped chests killed me a lot more than they did before, but I was surprise in how little I missed it. I haven't (and don't really want to) do a no shield run of DS 1 and 3. That's purely because the combat is a lot faster in those (especially DS 3, which has enemies and bosses that are on par with Bloodborne in terms of aggresion).

Are you referring to the Blood-Starved Beast, the boss of Old Yarnham that looks like something too inappropriate for the PG 13 restrictions? Tell me if you're still on that boss when you read this, there's an NPC you summon to help you in the fight. Also, it hates fire, once it starts poisoning you, use fire on it to kill it before it has a chance to fully poison you.
Took me a while after reading to remember the boss, mostly because I haven't replayed Bloodborne since early this year (promised myself that the next time I did, I would beat that DLC boss I never could).

Shadow456 said:
I wouldn't say go without the shield, especially on a blind run. I did a no-shield run of DS 2 (I chose that one because it has the slowest combat) and it wasn't too bad, archers and booby-trapped chests killed me a lot more than they did before, but I was surprise in how little I missed it. I haven't (and don't really want to) do a no shield run of DS 1 and 3. That's purely because the combat is a lot faster in those (especially DS 3, which has enemies and bosses that are on par with Bloodborne in terms of aggresion).

Are you referring to the Blood-Starved Beast, the boss of Old Yarnham that looks like something too inappropriate for the PG 13 restrictions? Tell me if you're still on that boss when you read this, there's an NPC you summon to help you in the fight. Also, it hates fire, once it starts poisoning you, use fire on it to kill it before it has a chance to fully poison you.
Took me a while after reading to remember the boss, mostly because I haven't replayed Bloodborne since early this year (promised myself that the next time I did, I would beat that DLC boss I never could).

I'm still on that boss,(did it last night and when I died I went to bed) and I did have the NPC, and thanks for the fire tip, and y'know, the more I play, I'm like "jeez, this is really fun." Even when I die, I can't stop playing.

BabyAshie said:
y'know, the more I play, I'm like "jeez, this is really fun." Even when I die, I can't stop playing.

Glad to hear that you're taking this in good faith.
What build are you running, what are you prioritising strength or dexterity (or is it skill, can't remember if Bloodborne is different with the names)?

Shadow456 said:
Glad to hear that you're taking this in good faith.
What build are you running, what are you prioritising strength or dexterity (or is it skill, can't remember if Bloodborne is different with the names)?

I'm going strength. I like upping that along with HP and stamina.

BabyAshie said:
I'm going strength.

Ah, ok. Never done strength myself, I tend to do a bit of both, that's the best build for great-swords in DS, same for Bloodborne, although there's only one great-sword (but god I love that weapon) in Bloodborne.
I think the axe and the hammer are good for strength, do you have the DLC?

Shadow456 said:
do you have the DLC?

Sadly no, I'm borrowing it from a friend. As well as Dark Souls III after. The only one I have access to.

Ok, I was just wonder because the DLC (along with being great in general) has a really fun strength weapon, the 'Boom Hammer'.
As someone who's beat all 3 Dark Souls games, I'd say your best doing them in order, or what I actually did which was 1,3,2. I imagine jumping straight to 3 you'll have no idea what's happening story-wise, but if that's want you want to do then I can't stop you.
2 and 3 both build off of 1's story and characters, 2 has more subtle parallels but 3 is pretty blatant with it's references to 1.

Ah, well I heard that 2 has nothing to do really with 1 or 3. And I only am gonna play 3 first because it's the only one I have access to at this moment.

Shadow456 said:

I specifically said souls haha. I haven't progressed far enough into Bloodborne to honestly have an educated opinion on weapons or builds.

SnowBlitz said:
I specifically said souls haha. I haven't progressed far enough into Bloodborne to honestly have an educated opinion on weapons or builds.

Well don't think shields can save you in Bloodborne. They can't. Lol.

I never played Demon's Souls and only played a touch of Bloodborne, due to the fact that I do not own a Sony console. But Dark Souls, I really love; all three of them.

1. Don't heal or dodge out of panic or get angry. When you get hit, stay calm and learn from it.

2. Stay assiduous to your stamina meter and manage it properly.

3. Exhaust all dialogues from NPC's.

4. Don't be ashamed of dying a lot; everyone dies a lot in these games. For frame of reference, Dark Souls 2 has at least 90 million deaths from all Xbox players worldwide.

Also, I'm digging the new avatar. :D

ClandestineWing said:
Dark Souls 2 has at least 90 million deaths from all Xbox players worldwide.

Yeah, I think Dark Souls 2 is the only game to keep track of your deaths and everyone else's too. Think I finished my second run of the PS4 version with just over a hundred "You died"s.

- - - Updated - - -

BabyAshie said:
And I only am gonna play 3 first because it's the only one I have access to at this moment.

That's fine, DS 3 isn't bad at all, nor is it any harder to get into the combat than the others. It's just that DS 3 has you visit locations and characters without giving them any context.
For example, there's a little corner of the swamp area that has a bunch of dead mushroom people. The game never acknowledges them, as it expects you to have played DS 1 and met these guys while they were still alive to figure out why they're there.

ClandestineWing said:
I never played Demon's Souls and only played a touch of Bloodborne, due to the fact that I do not own a Sony console. But Dark Souls, I really love; all three of them.

1. Don't heal or dodge out of panic or get angry. When you get hit, stay calm and learn from it.

2. Stay assiduous to your stamina meter and manage it properly.

3. Exhaust all dialogues from NPC's.

4. Don't be ashamed of dying a lot; everyone dies a lot in these games. For frame of reference, Dark Souls 2 has at least 90 million deaths from all Xbox players worldwide.

Also, I'm digging the new avatar. :D

I've been staying calm and collected about Bloodborne, which is a good sign about thje rest of the series.

Also, thanks. >~> My friend drew it for me... it's literally some of the only art of my new oc design like this... >~>

- - - Updated - - -

Shadow456 said:
That's fine, DS 3 isn't bad at all, nor is it any harder to get into the combat than the others. It's just that DS 3 has you visit locations and characters without giving them any context.
For example, there's a little corner of the swamp area that has a bunch of dead mushroom people. The game never acknowledges them, as it expects you to have played DS 1 and met these guys while they were still alive to figure out why they're there.

Ah okay, well I'll meet them eventually. :p Especially from the what I can gather now, I'm gonna be invested in these games. xD

I'm curious, how much did you know about Bloodborne before going in? Were you completely blind or did you look into the game before deciding to play it?

Shadow456 said:
I'm curious, how much did you know about Bloodborne before going in? Were you completely blind or did you look into the game before deciding to play it?

I looked into it. I watched a few reviews saying it was really good, and I kinda wanted to try the souls series anyways, and my friend said that Bloodborne would be a better start than 3 would've been. In which, I'm glad I chose to take the chace I had. I've seen no walktrhoughs or anything so I am playing the game blind, I just looked into the series itself before hand. If that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back