Toys for Baby Boomers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbmccue

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I'm a child of the 1960s, and I'm having trouble finding appealing toys to play with while being babysat. As a 'real' kid, I loved construction toys - plastic bricks, Girder and Panel, etc. - but the only thing commonly available these days is Lego. The pieces are generally too small for me to see without glasses, and wearing glasses very much ruins the 'baby' look for me.

I played board games - Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, etc. - and those are still easily found today. I'm just not sure my babysitter has time to sit down and play with me.

I'm a big Thomas the Tank Engine fan and the wooden railway sets, while expensive, might occupy me during my 'little' time.

I don't really play video games, which seems to be common for younger ABs, and I have some sensory issues that prevent me from coloring or drawing. I think I could still use an Etch-A-Sketch or play with Play-doh.

I'm looking for something that will engage my mind while helping me link back to my childhood, and such things are pretty difficult to find these days. Would any other folks who were 'little' in this era have any ideas for toys to buy?

DuPlo blocks are giant lego type blocks. Also, check e-bay and local garage sales for older toys such as those great metal Tonka trucks.

We collect toys from like 1978 to 1992 and I can tell you that both flea markets and EBAY have been a treasure trove. It has taken nearly 11 years but we have most of the toys that we had when we were kids. Please keep in mind we don't keep these as collectables or museum pieces, they are there to play with! I have some new toys that get played with too but for the most part I can get lost in little land with my older toys, the things I actually played with as a child.
You were asking about candyland and chutes and ladders? These games are still easily available but they just aren't the same. My hubby bought me the new Candyland and although the game play is the same it just doesn't look the same anymore and you take the chance of getting one of the new versions of the game with some sort of newfangled electronic doohickey in it. After playing this version of the game together twice we gave it away and went to e-bay and bought an older one from the 80s.

Scaramouche said:
DuPlo blocks are giant lego type blocks.

Or you could go with the even larger MegaBlocks.

Andrea, I did the same thing - collecting all my childhood toys - but I couldn't bear to actually play with them! I spent months tracking down a Lionel train set identical to the one I had when I was 5 years old; after paying several hundred dollars for it, I couldn't bring myself to play with it on a regular basis.

Thanks for the heads-up on modern games versus the retro versions we had. You've saved me a little money and time, and I'm appreciative.

Glad I was able to help even if it's just a little. You inspired me to share some pictures of my playroom, I just think these things were made to be played with and really, if I break it, it's my own fault. The only way there is something that we don't play with it's because it is still in it's original packaging and we have another identical one that it not. I am not afraid to open sealed vintage toys either. All of the Barbies that you see in the box on the one shelf if you look at my photos, I bought them new in original unopened packaging and the first day I had them pulled them all out and played with them. I put them back in their boxes afterward so they stay pretty but what's the point in a collection that just gathers dust! ;)

I just checked out Amazon and they sell both Lincoln Logs and Erector sets along with a lot of other building sets. Amazon has everything.

Hello,

Anyone have any baby toys that they love to play with or want to have?

Baby toys online

Last edited:
I have several very nice barbie dolls. I also have a nice Missy that I adore doll.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back