Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Authors who Influenced You the Most

I love reading, I have a history degree which essentially just means I have a degree in reading lol. Fiction wise the top three authors that have influenced me the most are JR Tolkien, JK Rowling, and Brian Jacques.

For me personally Lord of the Rings is the greatest work of fiction ever written. First read Lord of the Rings when I was in the 5th grade. It was right as the films were coming out in theaters. Now during that time academically I wasn't doing so well. I had a difficult time adapting to learning in a traditional school setting. Plus I came from a school system that never really taught me how to read properly. Now it wasn't that I was dumb, actually I was quite intelligent. Eventually the problem was found out that I had a level of autism and I just had a difficult time learning in a traditional school setting.

So during 5th grade I was introduced to Lord of the Rings by friends of mine. I never really read a complete book at that time. Yet there was something about Lord of the Rings that I found enthralling. I became obsessed with reading the book. I would read so frequently I even got in trouble for reading too much during school. With great triumph I finished the trilogy right after I watched the first movie in theaters. I felt incredible! I fell in love with reading after that. Since that day I have read the Lord of the Rings trilogy 14 times. Lord of the Rings changed my life.

Following reading Lord of the Rings I got into the Harry Potter series and the redwall series. Both of which hold a special place in my heart because they are amazing world's filled with well-developed and interesting characters. I found that I enjoyed living more in these worlds of fantasy with these characters than I did around my own peers. These book series got me through very difficult times in Middle School and parts of high school.

I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have Harry and his adventures in an amazing wizard school to keep me company. It's through these books that I learned valuable lessons like friendship, compassion, hard work, and what it meant to be a good person. These books helped me into the person I am today.

Without exaggeration I don't know if I would be here in my life without these books. I never would have found the drive and self confidence in myself to do well in school and make friends. I never would have gone to college for history and sociology. I never would have gone to grad school. I would have missed out on some amazing friendships.

Quote Originally Posted by Secretlife View Post
    Atlis Shrugged I cant remember the ather. There are so many similarities between the book 1984 and today’s current events and it all can be summed up to lack of common sense. Alas Shrugged is probibly a book most people have never heard of much less read. If you have read it then you probibly prusue greater intalect and understanding. It’s a good read but it’s long too. Stephen King books have always been a favorite lol.
    Read it. Didn't like it much-- very obviously written on a shitload of amphetamines. Ayn Rand was a pompous ass, not someone to emulate. The "philosophy" contained within had some influence on me for a few months, probably a consequence of being 14 at the time, but her thesis is egotistical garbage.

My list is gonna be pretty damn generic, but here goes:

Jorge Luis Borges
    Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    Neal Stephenson
    Fyodor Dostoevsky
    Nikolai Gogol
    Douglas Adams
    Daron Acemoglu
    Ludwig von Mises
    Noam Chomsky
    Thomas Pynchon
    Emmanuel Kant
    F.A. Hayek
    David Hume
    Samuel Taylor Coleridge

aaaaaaaand the one who doesn't fit:

Lev Grossman

Bernard Cornwell and Tom kratman Robert Jordan and Terry goodkind Christopher paoline ra Salvatore