Diaper for flights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldberg

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hello.

I am flying to Toronto in Canada next month. The flight time is around 8 to 9 hours. And even then, it’ll be difficult to change for at least an hour after the flight.

I find it too tedious to change myself on a plane.

Last time I was on a long distance flight, I wore ABU Cushies and although they weren’t terrible, they weren’t quite up to the task.

If anyone has any suggestions here, that would be most welcome. Ideally, I want something that holds a lot and disguises the smell.

I live in the UK by the way, so I’m after something that’s easily available here.

~Matt

Dry 24-7 or Abena Abri Form X Plus L or M 4 is my suggestion or if you want to go bold try a DC Amor or Idyl they are very good diapers too.
I do have a question How long is your flight? are you making a connection to get to Toronto? What is your departure airport So I can give you tips on best practices and places to freshen up the best?

FYI There are two separate things in the Pharmacy that you can use to eliminate the smell of your urine or fecal matter... I think one is alfalfa and the other is some sort of charcoal type pill someone assist me on this??

Key thing is keep yourself hydrated while you travel drink water is your best bet maybe a lemon lime soda or two no coffee unless you follow it up with lots of water. Juice in moderation, and no liquid courage that in itself gives you a odor while urinating. And ensure that your diet is well balanced no overly gassy foods like vegetables or beans or tofu
or milk based foods. Key is well balanced to make your fecal matter harder and not greasy.

Dry24/7 is about the best you can do for capacity, though it's going to be similar to ABU. Most diapers in that range are going to come down to a bunch of intangibles giving you that last bit of absorbency before it leaks. How well it fits you, how it deals with the particular speed in which you wet, etc.

As far as neutralizing odor, avoid excessive protein for a few days before and make sure that before the trip you're hydrated to the point that your urine is clear. I'd actually recommend against consuming tons of fluids just before/during the flight. A bottle of water or two is fine, but if you're well hydrated anything you drink is likely going straight to your diaper rather than being processed and used by your body.

to keep the odor down dont eat asperigus or any of the cabbage family (brussel sprouts, broccoli, etc) 24 hours before the flight.

Some premium diaper as mentioned Dry 24/7 Abena L4 etc with a booster pad inside it, that way you can remove the booster pad early on into the flight, and bin it before it starts to smell, without having to rediaper up.

Goldberg said:
Hello.

I am flying to Toronto in Canada next month. The flight time is around 8 to 9 hours. And even then, it’ll be difficult to change for at least an hour after the flight.

I find it too tedious to change myself on a plane.

Last time I was on a long distance flight, I wore ABU Cushies and although they weren’t terrible, they weren’t quite up to the task.

Yeah cushies/sdk/preschool don't have long-term capacity.

For a plane ride where you don't intend to change, you need both capacity AND good odor control, and that means high SAP. The majority of the high capacity diapers seem to be over in the americas though, but Betterdry/Crinklz is one of the brands I know of over there that should work for you. 247 is higher sap but capacity isn't actually all that huge, and they seem to have problems with leaking while seated. Xplus is lower sap and I think odor could be an issue. They also seem to have problems leaking while seated, and some of my recent bags have had problems with the pulp being misplaced very near the "back corners" where they leak. If you go with them, make sure you inspect your diapers before packing or changing.

Be sure to wear loose-fitting pants, because that plane seat is going to try to smash you in a bit and that wont be very comfortable if your diaper starts to swell and has nowhere to go.

Havent had any leaks with my X-Plus L4's or the Dry 24-7's You have to properly prepare your diaper to put it on folding it in half lenghtwise and you will not have a leak that is if you do not take care of yourself and let yourself over max your diaper then you will have a leak. I have it down to a science on when its time to change and yes I use the full extent of the absorbent material in the diaper no piece is left dry. Again take care of yourself and you will not have a problem. Been incontinent for decades.

Looks like Dry 24/7 is my best bet.

Thanks for the informative replies!

I'm always curious as to what the security guys make of it, I'm assuming the body scanners would pick it up?

RubberJin said:
I'm always curious as to what the security guys make of it, I'm assuming the body scanners would pick it up?

As long as its not loaded with liquid....... nothing

Do not forget once you get seated park yourself up .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I've worn a Little Pawz flying from Sydney to Guangzhou before, changed, then into a fresh Little Pawz for the Guangzhou to New York. First flight was around 9 hours, second one was an overnight flight at 15 hours. Just watch your fluid intake and you'll be fine!

My eyesight must be failing. Every time I see the title of this thread I see "Diapers for Fights". Sorry. Comedic pause. Carry on.

Scaramouche said:
My eyesight must be failing. Every time I see the title of this thread I see "Diapers for Fights". Sorry. Comedic pause. Carry on.
The greatest weapon of all time be it for killing or chillin a frozen diaper.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

RubberJin said:

Dry diapers are mostly invisible to x-ray, same as clothing. To a body scanner it'll look like underwear. To the conveyor belt x-ray it looks like an empty spot in your bag (which is what a pile of clothing looks like).

Does it make a difference when the diapers are wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joelvc said:
Yes, because then they won't be f*kn dry!

Scaramouche said:

LOLOLOL A Sorority game no?

RubberJin said:

They're trained to look for unexpected "masses" under your clothing, but they also know what to expect. Well-trained agents will be less suspicious of lumps caused by:
- insulin pumps
- prosthetic breasts
- diapers
- colostomy bags

etc. They're trained to recognize these and dial down their suspicion when that's likely what it is. That's no guarantee you won't get a more thorough inspection though. In that case they should just perform the bare minimum physical check to verify what it is and then you can move on. They don't need to strip-search you to verify that bump on your rump is a diaper.

The only significant problem I recall seeing with any frequency is cancer patients on chemo that try to go through in a wheelchair while wearing a wet diaper. The diaper sets off a low level radiation alarm due to the chemo, and that combined with the xray machine not being able to make out much through the wheelchair (or identify metal for that matter) will force them to do their inspection a bit different.

At any rate, try to be dry when going through an inspection, and wear a thinner diaper if possible. If you need more capacity, go with a high sap diaper that will start out a lot thinner than a high capacity mostly-pulp diaper.

- - - Updated - - -

joelvc said:

It'll show up darker on the xray, and a lot firmer if they have to pat you down. Keep in mind they're looking primarily for weapons and explosives, and a wet high-sap diaper is heavy and firm, just like explosives tend to be. You won't be setting off their chemical detectors so they should be working it out in their head that you've got on a wet diaper, but you're still going to force them to verify that.

Go through checkpoints dry if at all possible. You'll make it easier on everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back