Diaper for flights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bambinod said:
The only significant problem I recall seeing with any frequency is cancer patients on chemo that try to go through in a wheelchair while wearing a wet diaper. The diaper sets off a low level radiation alarm due to the chemo, and that combined with the xray machine not being able to make out much through the wheelchair (or identify metal for that matter) will force them to do their inspection a bit different.

What utter tosh, Chemotherapy does not involve radiation.

First Rule in Diaper Club:

Never talk about Diaper Club!

;-)

*FLEES* for mah life....

B.

aleakyboomboom said:
Yes, because then they won't be f*kn dry!

I meant the difference for x-ray/scanner. You said that that dry diapers are invisible. How does it shows when wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joelvc said:
I meant the difference for x-ray/scanner. You said that that dry diapers are invisible. How does it shows when wet?

I never said anything of the sort.

With all the hassle involved, and the potential embarrassment with the security screening process... wouldn't it be easier to just not wear for the flight? Or put a diaper on in the aeroplane toilet?

No offence, but after 9 or 10 hours in the same diaper, wouldn't people be able to smell you...?

aleakyboomboom said:
What utter tosh, Chemotherapy does not involve radiation.

they are often doing the radioactive targeting at that time. its not the chemo that's radioactive but the other treatments for cancer. I don't recall the name of it, do you?

I think Dry24/7 is about the best you can do for the capacity.

bambinod said:
they are often doing the radioactive targeting at that time. its not the chemo that's radioactive but the other treatments for cancer. I don't recall the name of it, do you?

Chemotherapy often involves the use of radioactive markers, especially for cancers of the digestive tract. Radiotherapy involves radiation.

I've been through the scanner in a SOAKED confidry before. (It was an unplanned flight, and I was running late). Yes it picks up the wetness, but that is never a problem in itself. After a quick pat down I was waved through, and on my way.

Ps. Confidry and Northshore are great choices. Betterdry/Crinklz is better (though not currently available)

From my experience, I would put ABU Space/Little Pawz up against Dry 24/7 any day on both performance and capacity. Am I off base or is the Confidry 24/7 really that good?

SimCo said:
From my experience, I would put ABU Space/Little Pawz up against Dry 24/7 any day on both performance and capacity. Am I off base or is the Confidry 24/7 really that good?

That’s pretty much my experience to in particular little paws my last order they had the superior tapes to space and simple plus I love the colour but all around the pick over 24/7 for me too

SimCo said:

I have a very wide variety of diapers on-hand and choose what to wear on any given night depending on how much I've had to drink and how late I will be sleeping in. Recently my typical choices are xplus, confidry, kitten, simple, and safari, ranked lower to higher capacity. (the xplus and confidry are very close though) I've always found ABU's premium diapers have better capacity than confidry Ideally I'd like to wake up in the morning in a diaper that's at around 75-80% of its capacity, so I'm wet and my diaper is well-used, but not on the verge of leaking. ABU and Rearz are the only diapers I can trust on the weekends when I sleep in. (I haven't done much testing with the new Tykables due to their low inventory, but they seem to fit in right around or slightly below ABU's premiums, and I prefer to wear them for extended daytime protection since they're so comfy and discrete when dry)

SimCo said:

Yes it is. In real world application, confidry can absorb around 4000 ml, and will last about 8 hours. ABU however, can barely hold 2000ml before leaking, and won't last more than 4 hours before it can no longer be trusted to not leak.

*This is with them properly sized. Wearing one size too small will actually improve their absorption and time before leaks, but at the price of blowouts, leaking over the top, and periodic tape issues.

Slomo said:
Yes it is. In real world application, confidry can absorb around 4000 ml, and will last about 8 hours. ABU however, can barely hold 2000ml before leaking, and won't last more than 4 hours before it can no longer be trusted to not leak.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree here.

Goldberg said:
If anyone has any suggestions here, that would be most welcome. Ideally, I want something that holds a lot and disguises the smell.

My first advice would be, whichever high-performance diaper you end up picking, wear it with a booster or two. That makes a lot of difference.

ABU cushies are more cute than absorbent, and the single-tape design might not be the most efficient at preventing leaks. If you want to stick to ABU you should go with their top of the line products, which from my experience would be up to the task. Rearz would perform similarly to that, so another good option. Dry 24/7s are another good brand to go with as they have excellent wicking so they are able to distribute the wetness throughout all the padding better than ABU and Rearz, even though they have a very much different fit, and over here in Europe they cost a lung and a kidney.

Since you're from the U.K., and specifically asked for something easily available there, my advice would be Betterdrys, which are in my experience more performant in real life than all of the aforementioned brands and can be purchased for relatively cheap. A boosted or doubleboosted Betterdry will keep you safe until you reach your destination, of course it'll be quite poofy by the time your flight is over as they swell up significantly when wet, but if you want a diaper that holds for 10+ hours discreetness needs not to be a concern. Wearing a onesie to give him some support from sagging would be a good idea too.

Some people have mentioned body scanners, in my experience I went through them with soaked padding before and the only wetness the machine was revealing was the sweat on my t-shirt from carrying a backpack. Even in the case you got questioned about your diaper, be straightforward about it and do not worry, because it's not illegal to wear and use them!

I agree with the above. I travel extensively for work and from Australia there are no short flights to the rest of the world. More than 7 hours I will need a change as after a few drinks in the lounge and a couple on the flight I will be soaked. The best way take a small backpack with a nappy in it, so you can take that to the toilet to get change and that way you don't have the hassle of trying to get a swollen nappy into a toilet bin on the plane. I wear betterdrys with booster pad plastic pants and onesie. The problem is they will swell up heaps so they are very noticeable when walking off the plane if you don't change. It looks like you've been riding a horse instead of sitting in a plane seat.

Body scanners never had a problem I just tell them I'm wearing a nappy and as stated above its not ILLEGAL to wear a nappy.

Go through the millimeter scanner wet, it shows up. They look at the screen and that's when you tell them you're wearing a diaper. They pat you down with the backs of their hands, they do a residue test on yourself and also swab the backs of their hands. Then they wave you through.

The only time I go through a scanner wet is after an international flight and then going back through the TSA security after re-checking baggage in the domestic terminal.

They won't care and it's something they encounter everyday.

puppyz said:
Go through the millimeter scanner wet, it shows up. They look at the screen and that's when you tell them you're wearing a diaper. They pat you down with the backs of their hands, they do a residue test on yourself and also swab the backs of their hands. Then they wave you through.

The only time I go through a scanner wet is after an international flight and then going back through the TSA security after re-checking baggage in the domestic terminal.

They won't care and it's something they encounter everyday.

I've never had anywhere near that kind of scrutiny before, and have gone through absolutely soaked before. At the most they will do a quick pat down before letting you go. Heck, I've had often enough where I'm only moderately wet and they just wave me through, no questions.

Any further scrutiny would only be because you're acting nervous or suspicious to them. Act normal (or in a rush), and the TSA won't even bat an eye at someone wearing a diaper. It's way kore common than most think.

I am late to the party on this but welcome to my hometown!

I've flown diapered all over the world and was only stopped once going through the backscatter x-ray while padded. Funny thing is that I am fairly certain I was not wet but it clearly triggered something on the monitor. The guard at the machine took a call from the person in the control room. I was then asked if I was wearing something in my pants other than underwear. I said that I had bladder problems and wore incontinence briefs. The message was relayed back to the control room and I was told that I could go on my way. Not a big deal.

I hate airports and airport security so I can't look relaxed even under normal circumstances! Plus, being a total geek, I enjoy playing "count the CCTV cameras" in places like that which probably makes me look like I'm scouting the joint :detective3

While wearing on a long flight would be awesome my nerves would never make it through security!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back