Rearz Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sizing is relativity the same as Abu

Something that isn't often mentioned with the Rearz Safaris that I really really love about them is that the actual plastic backing is SOO incredibly strong and thick feeling. It's absolutly stronger than that on bambinos, and a bit moreso than ABU.

Possibly the strongest plastic backing I've ever seen.

anton said:
Can anyone comment on the sizing? Do they run similar to ABU or do they run a little big (or small)?

Rearz Safari Large
claimed size: 40-52
tape length: 3.5"
dry weight: 7.4oz

ABU Space Large
claimed size: 36-46
tape length: 2.75"
dry weight: 7.9oz

Most everything else is identical, including shell and padding length/width/crotch, so the rated size difference can be ignored. Safari padding is a higher percentage in pulp, but there's a lot more of it, for thicker-when-dry and a bit higher capacity. Price is a lot higher though, especially outside Canada.

Thanks for the info. I ordered a case of the mediums through rears and will have them on the 29th. Looking forward to giving them a try. They are expensive, but if they work as advertised and reviewed, sounds like they are worth it. Wish someone in the states sold them without a huge markup. It’s still cheaper to buy direct than from bambino, even with free shipping.

anton said:
Can anyone comment on the sizing? Do they run similar to ABU or do they run a little big (or small)?

The sizing is listed clearly on their website.

Im an M with ABU, but S with Rearz.

I noticed a few things last night when picking what I was going to wear to bed, the ABU Simple and the Rearz InspireInControl diapers are VERY hard to tell apart. The only two visual differences I could see were the ABU had their logo in black in a few spots out on the sides of the wings in the front, and the Rearz have a blue rectangular area colored in the middle of the crotch. The design, cut, and fold of the shell, leak guards, and the tape panel on the front are photo-identical. I think they might be more similar than I had first thought, although I still stand by my experience that Rearz seem to have a higher capacity. But their dry size is close to identical. There IS a slight weight difference though, but it's in tenths of an ounce and impossible to tell by handling. There's no denying they're made on the same machine with the same cutting dies. This then applies to the ABU Space, Lavender, and Simple, as well as the Rearz Safari, Princess, and InspireInControl.

plasticsounds said:
I am surprised about the leaking. I know I risk bruised feelings, but I would almost guarantee that it is an application problem. There are several threads regarding how to put on a diaper.

Properly applied, this diaper outperforms them all.

The rave reviews on this site have lead me to try again with a size small. I am 6'00" and 185 lbs and an ABU Little Pawz size medium fits me like a glove. The Rearz Safari medium leaked on me every time. I will take Slomo's advice and give them one more try in size small.

SimCo said:
The rave reviews on this site have lead me to try again with a size small. I am 6'00" and 185 lbs and an ABU Little Pawz size medium fits me like a glove. The Rearz Safari medium leaked on me every time. I will take Slomo's advice and give them one more try in size small.

Since different models of diapers are different lengths and have the tapes spaced differently, you have to adapt your taping strategy to suit your body and the model of diaper you're wearing. I suspect a lot of leaks are caused by incorrect placement of lower tapes. I honestly have difficulty understanding how people get leaks in a Safari - they're thick, wick well, have wide padding in back with generous borders, great leak guards, very high capacity, and great tapes.

bambinod said:
Since different models of diapers are different lengths and have the tapes spaced differently, you have to adapt your taping strategy to suit your body and the model of diaper you're wearing. I suspect a lot of leaks are caused by incorrect placement of lower tapes. I honestly have difficulty understanding how people get leaks in a Safari - they're thick, wick well, have wide padding in back with generous borders, great leak guards, very high capacity, and great tapes.

What lower tapes? When you lay out the side panels flat, you ca clearly see one tape centered in the panel, and one tape above that. From the middle tape down, there are no lower tapes.

anton said:

I’m a size medium in every diaper out there. Small in the Rearz brand however. Took me a while to figure this out. Leaking wasn’t the issue with the mediums, it was the lower tapes that kept coming off after moving in the diaper a lot. Haven’t had the issue with the small yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slomo said:
What lower tapes? When you lay out the side panels flat, you ca clearly see one tape centered in the panel, and one tape above that. From the middle tape down, there are no lower tapes.

If there are two in different places, one will be upper and one will be lower (whether or not you consider them "low enough")

Very few four-tape diapers have the lowers anywhere near the bottom of the back wings. Safari and confidry are some of the few that get that far down. The majority of them place the lower tape about in the middle of the back wing. I think it's a compromise... higher up allows the lower tapes to wrap around higher on your hip where it's more likely to have narrowed, making for a better "holds your diaper up
" fit. Lower tape position sacrifices that in exchange for a more secure wrap around your butt cheeks and helps reduce leaks in the "rear corners", which is useful for a long sleep on your back and don't have to worry about your diaper inching its way down during use.

Maybe in that regard you could consider lower tapes good for overnight, and higher tapes good for daywear? But you can always tweak the fit a little bit by changing where you're sticking them down.

bambinod said:
If there are two in different places, one will be upper and one will be lower (whether or not you consider them "low enough")

Very few four-tape diapers have the lowers anywhere near the bottom of the back wings. Safari and confidry are some of the few that get that far down. The majority of them place the lower tape about in the middle of the back wing. I think it's a compromise... higher up allows the lower tapes to wrap around higher on your hip where it's more likely to have narrowed, making for a better "holds your diaper up
" fit. Lower tape position sacrifices that in exchange for a more secure wrap around your butt cheeks and helps reduce leaks in the "rear corners", which is useful for a long sleep on your back and don't have to worry about your diaper inching its way down during use.

Maybe in that regard you could consider lower tapes good for overnight, and higher tapes good for daywear? But you can always tweak the fit a little bit by changing where you're sticking them down.

Lol, middle is lower. Ok, whatever.

And no again, there are more diapers types out there with the lower tapes, than there are with them at the middle and have a tape landing zone. (Though granted a lot of those are of a lower quality/avsorption). Confidry, Northshore, Betterdry, Crinklz, Abena, Seni, ATN, and the like, all have tapes low enough to secure the diaper all the way around your legs. ABU, Fabines, Bambino, and the like do not.

And no once more, diapers like these are more prone to leaking with flooding or with sitting down. Controlled releases, pointing down, and nit taking them to their max are all necessary with these. If anything, they actually make better overnight diapers IF you lay on your back. Side or front sleeping is another guarantee for early leaks long before reacing their rated capacity.

Thanks so much for all the replies everyone and I am sorry my reply is really late, I have been very busy as of lately.

I am having issues with the tapes, well I say tapes but strangely it is the bottom left tape that has come undone for me on each Nappy I have worn each night now, always the bottom left tape :/

I have tried different taping positions, pulling my Nappy higher up almost over my belly button and also lower down literately right on my hips, but still the tape comes undone and is waking me up in the middle of the night.

I still to this day don't exactly know for sure if I am putting my Nappy on correctly, am i supposed to be pulling it right up over my belly button or just taping it along my hip waist? I can't work it out I see pictures of some people with theirs over their belly button and then others below the belly button.

I just can't work out what I al doing wrong, I also pull the front of the nappy out so it makes like a gutter as to speak sometimes and other times I put one on without so much of a gutter space.

I am sorry to keep going on guys but if any of you have any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong I will listen and try anything, maybe I'm not making a big enough of a gutter space or taping them unevenly or the nappy is too high up or too low, it is strange when I think about it because I know that everyone's body is different but Nappies look so different on other people than me, they seem to have a lot more room at the front if that makes sense.

Thank You to all and stay comfy

MartinPeters said:
I am having issues with the tapes, well I say tapes but strangely it is the bottom left tape that has come undone for me on each Nappy I have worn each night now, always the bottom left tape :/

I have tried different taping positions, pulling my Nappy higher up almost over my belly button and also lower down literately right on my hips, but still the tape comes undone and is waking me up in the middle of the night.

I assume you mean the tape is "popping"? (coming unstuck from the front) As opposed to breaking or pulling away from the back wing.

After you've been wearing a diaper for a bit, take a look at the tapes and make sure they're not being "twisted". Look for the tape to be getting stretched on one side. If your tapes are at a weird angle it can put a lot of pressure on one side of the tape and either break it or pull it loose.

Try changing the vertical location of your lower tapes - move them farther down or farther up the front.

If all else fails, use duct tape to keep the tapes down. If you don't like the look of grey tape, Duck sells a variety of patterned and different colored tapes. I prefer to use their all-white duct tape for diapers, though I very rarely find it necessary.

Of course ask yourself if you're not taping on too tight. And make sure the tapes go on flat and smooth, with no creases or wrinkles in the front panel under the tape, that will weaken its hold.

Lastly, make sure you're not "fouling" your tapes. Make sure NO lotion gets on the sticky part of the tape, especially transferring from your fingers, and make sure there's nothing (no lotion, no powder) on the front tape panel of your diaper. It's easy to rub on lotion and then get out and handle your diaper and in the process to transfer lotion from your hands to the front panel. Tapes either will pop easily or not stick at all if you have lotion on your front panel. If you use a lot of lotion, you may need to wash your hands after applying lotion before getting out a fresh diaper.

MartinPeters said:
Thanks so much for all the replies everyone and I am sorry my reply is really late, I have been very busy as of lately.

I still to this day don't exactly know for sure if I am putting my Nappy on correctly, am i supposed to be pulling it right up over my belly button or just taping it along my hip waist? I can't work it out I see pictures of some people with theirs over their belly button and then others below the belly button.

I just can't work out what I al doing wrong, I also pull the front of the nappy out so it makes like a gutter as to speak sometimes and other times I put one on without so much of a gutter space.

I am sorry to keep going on guys but if any of you have any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong I will listen and try anything, maybe I'm not making a big enough of a gutter space or taping them unevenly or the nappy is too high up or too low, it is strange when I think about it because I know that everyone's body is different but Nappies look so different on other people than me, they seem to have a lot more room at the front if that makes sense.

Thank You to all and stay comfy

More than how tight or loose you tape it on, the radius cut out for the legs is what will determine your problem. Too small of a cut out, and when you walk, sit, or bend over, this will put a lot of extra tension on the tapes.

You need to try a slightly larger or more generously cut diaper. This may or may not be actually going up in size, but may just be this one brand doesn't fit your body shape. Try a few different samples for a larger size, but also try different manufacturers too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back