the Ice Man cometh (fixed the washing machine just in time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
well, it's minus 6 again (yeah, take a hefty pinch of salt with owt that the Met office says; we had minus 6 on the 8th of this month, and more since; suck my ice, Aberdeen!) and i'm waiting for daylight to see if we have any ice sculptures.
from the 8th:
S0076611 Standard e-mail view.jpg

an ice finger! (as opposed to an iced finger)

S0106633 Standard e-mail view.jpg

i don't know, but it's pretty. sort of an Europa-scape.

a couple of days beforehand, i gave the washing a bit of TLC as one of the bearings was starting to squeak. turned out that the seal had split and knackered up the 'new' bearing that i put in about 9 years ago (?). the remaining original bearing seemed fine, weirdly.
anyways, i'd planned the TLC around the weather and getting the machine back in order on the Friday, with heavy rain forecast for the Saturday. naturally, i'd forgotten what size bearing kit i'd need, so i had to set about stripping the machine down (on the Thursday). but not to worry, because Amazon has 'guaranteed next day delivery', doesn't it? well, it does if you don't catch them out. as with a lot of spares, nowadays, they either come from central or eastern europe, and i think that Amazon trips over itself, there. once they 'realized', the ETA of the bearing kit was revised to a day later (with the original listing then dropping the next day delivery tag for a 6 day delivery). at £8-odd for the kit, with free two-day delivery (from Slovenia or Slovakia or somewhere), i can't moan.

2017-11-06_18132 Standard e-mail view.jpg

i also got new brushes :yes::
2017-11-06_18131 Standard e-mail view.jpg

i did debate it, after measuring the one old one in the pic (the short one on the left), reasoning that there was a couple of mil left to play with and that i couldn't get a good price on direct-fit replacements (you can buy the carbon brushes 'loose' and then adapt then to fit whichever holder type you have; sometimes, you have little choice but to do that). anyway, i didn't fancy all the pain and hassle of moving the machine again, whenever, so i splashed out.
and a good job i did because when i took out the other old one, it was 2 mil shorter than the one i'd measured :lol:

got a new door seal (and clip), too. i wanted to get more new parts, but hardly anything was available on next day delivery, with most being weeks away.

and i've still not recovered (which explains why i've not been around, lately).

of course, i've also been minded to murder.
a couple of months ago, i felt in the mood for a bit of storytime paranoia (much as when i used to watch Dexter) and happy coincidence led me to buying a couple of books (Alone in Berlin and Welcome to Stasiland) for reading throughout the dark and dreary run-up to Xmas. as typical bad-luck would have it, i got five chapters into 'berlin and was striken by abscesses, preventing me from sitting down with a good book; more badness soon followed with the news that i'd been reported as having been working whilst claiming benefits. the day i took the pre-arranged phonecall, i was unable to sit because of my abscesses and had blood and pus leaking fom nearby my anus, and there i was stood-accused of 'driving' for reward.
of course, that's what 'they' say, but i doubt if there ever was an allegation and that they're just trying it on: lying, basically. so, i end up with the threat of investigation and surveillance on the basis of a lie of a lie, and all for £30-odd a week.
Welcome to Gestapoland/Stasiland/England.

Last edited:
WTF! What is a "minus" temperature? And it that's real, why would anyone want to live in a place like that!

Just kidding about the minus part. Not kidding about why anyone would want to live like that.

Slomo said:
WTF! What is a "minus" temperature? And it that's real, why would anyone want to live in a place like that!

Just kidding about the minus part. Not kidding about why anyone would want to live like that.

Since you asked… Negative Temperature (Wikipedia) :graduate:

It's a pretty interesting quantum phenomenon! I'd not want to live in such a state though! ^^; </science geek mode>

To the OP: That sounds like quite an exhausting ordeal. o.o

Haha....you've certainly spent a lot of time and money on that machine, if my memory recalls correctly. The last time I had to replace the washer and dryer, I bought a Speed Queen. They're actually made in Wisconsin by real Americans (not Chinese) and came with a 10 year warranty.

dogboy said:
Haha....you've certainly spent a lot of time and money on that machine, if my memory recalls correctly.
well, all things are relative: it's nearly 14 years old!
i think it was several years old when the first bearing went, so you'd talking about buying another two machines, if you didn't repair or maintain it, over that time. i reckon i've spent under £100 on parts, all told, thereby saving about £500 (more if we extrapolate).
out of interest, i tried to price up the cost of making a machine from the spares as offered by the manufacturer; i gave up after just three parts (front panel (for door fitting), control pcb (for the buttons on the front) and ECU) as they alone came to the same price as a brand new machine. it's no wonder people just buy new.

Yeah, I think people have done that with automobiles and the cost of a car, one part at a time, is astronomical.

dogboy said:
Yeah, I think people have done that with automobiles and the cost of a car, one part at a time, is astronomical.

[video=youtube;m1mOU7G7jN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1mOU7G7jN0[/video]

Joe Pesci gets about a bit, dun't he?
:biggrin:

well, we're currently around the minus 7.5 C mark. my suspiscion that there really is a global conspiracy to misrepresent temperature readings grows.
on top of that, the shower's throwing a wobbly.

it's been awkward for a bit, but since i've fitted the new ceramic valve taps (faucets) throughout the house, the quirks have been more noticeable; if you're arthritic or disabled, have a look at fitting the new ceramic/quater-turn taps: they're miles easier. the downside is that they're noisier, with the noise being transmitted throughout the plumbing.
such noise was what led me to scouring the upstairs in hunt for for the sound of a water leak, with the freezing temperatures in mind. since i leave the showerhead on the floor of the cubicle, i couldn't hear that the showerhead was leaking and the closed cubicle threw the sound asunder, leading to a bit of farce and head-scratching.
"oh, it's done that a few times on me" said mum. yeah, thanks for telling me. :rolleyes:

Amazon came up trumps, again. i priced up parts, but ours is discontinued and the prime suspect was more than half the cost of a new shower (if i could get it). after a bit of searching, i found a model by the same maker which is a direct-fit for ours (in fact, everything looks to be the same, so it's probably just an updated casing). as it's the same, it obviously saves buggering about with the piping; you'd think that they'd standardize such things, wouldn't you [to save having to rework a whole bathroom wall, just because a pipe connector's on the opposite side]?
so, i'm just awaiting delivery.....and more snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back