Diapers on a budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

SometimesAdult

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Yes, it is really expensive, especially 24/7. While you can find some brands for 50 cents per diaper, they are so thin that you have to double up, they have to be changed more often, and cost as much as the expensive ones in the end. I happen to like mine as thick as is practical for my activity while wearing. Here are my strategies. Maybe some will work for you.

1) After a lot of sampling, I settled on Seni Super Plus. They fit me better than the others, are reasonably thick, and cost $1 ea. To me, more expensive diapers are only practical for occasional use.
2)Whatever brand you like, buy by the case if you can to save money. If you need a discrete delivery, go with Amazon. Everything is packaged inside their company boxes. If you go direct to most other retailers, your case can come with certain telltale markings, which can be uncomfortable if the delivery is left in plain site of your neighbors or family.
3) If you need a diaper booster, or like extra thickness, consider baby diapers. You can find pre-folds up to 14 X 21, and you can find flats up to 27 x 27. You can find these on-line for about $1 ea. They would be the same length of other boosters that cost 5-6 times more. The flats are easier to wash and dry. The pre-folds have longer drying times. You can combine these with your disposables to double the absorbency and lengthen their life, or you could change the cloth whenever you want or need to. If you are away from home, consider packing your spares in a one gallon zip lock plastic baggy, and then you can deposit the soiled one in it, zip it, and have a good seal.
4) These boosters can be washed at night and generally be dry in the morning.
5) If you like the expensive cloth diapers, but aren't able to launder them every two days or so, they can be worn outside the disposables.
6) If you only have a few expensive cloth diapers, and want to use them, consider allocating them to 1-2 days before your scheduled laundry day.
7) Cloth diapers are not easy to manage. If you wash thick cloth diapers by hand, they will never be clean, will smell, and will not dry quickly. Their odor can permeate a household, and frankly it is really time consuming. You have to be really invested. Also, if you live with others, your personal hygiene regimen will be obvious. I live alone and work from the house, which makes all of this easier than most, but still a pain.

Net net: If you are not using them as intended, go for broke and get a couple of really comfy cloth or disposable diapers that you will enjoy. If you are using them as intended and are on a strict budget- consider the cloth doubling of disposables. 12-18 diapers will cost about $18 (amazon). If you don't have privacy, just disposables, and save your supermarket plastic bags and dispose asap. If you have flexibility and privacy you can figure out a combination that works well for you.

I hope that one or two of these ideas will be helpful.

Ugh, gods NO. Stop looking at then as a price per diaper!

Cheaper diapers need to be cha ged much more often, thereby driving up their total cost.

You have to look at it as a price per day. As long as you stay under $5.00 per day, you are doing pretty good.

I mean personally I’ve never been the budget type of person with anything (explains why I’m always broke lol). But for me I know my body and I know what I like and how much I can spend and how long it will last. I usually go for ABU brands and I’m factoring in 24/7 wearing lifestyle. Good days I’ll soak 2 of them a day. Bad days I have a case of the runs and go through many. I can easily make 80 diapers last a month and a half or longer depending. I have a whole box of diapers I’ve tried I don’t really like that I use for spare and emergency and I even have a few cloth for severe emergency. But i make sure to buy the premium brands because cheap ones will have cheap results in return wasting money

I'm not sure if you looked into it sampled these..but if you take a look at Walmarts house brand diapers 'Equate' their briefs are like $11 for 20 of them!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back