Putting a nappy on with a broken arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashy

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Has anyone broken an arm and still been able to manage getting a nappy on themselves or with help? I'm just curious to know as I'm single and if the scenario ever arises.. I'd like to know.. If you have succeeded yourself.. Could you run through how you have done it? As a bedwetter who wears every time they sleep, I'd really like to know :)

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Never had a broken arm. Diapering would be difficult. I think if it ever happens a pullup would be in order. I know they aren't as absorbent but maybe put some plastic pants on over them and a pad on the bed?

I'm cerebrally palsied, and one arm just will not behave, so, I hate tabs, but, they can be done. I don't walk, so, that impacts how I do a tabbed diaper, too. Here's what I do.

Put the diaper open on a chair.
Sit down atop it.
Tape one side at a time. Which one first? It depends on the break, and individual preference. Play around with it. Depending on the break, you maybe able to use the cast to hold things in place while doing tabs.

Last edited:
I had my elbow broken last year (radius bone) and got a cast from the knuckles to half of the upper arm.
I'm not IC, so I had to deal with this only a few times, but it wasn't that bad, mainly because I could still freely move my fingers and my shoulder - I used my "good arm" to do the taping itself, and the other was just there to keep everything in place.

A broken shoulder is much worse I believe: They immobilize the elbow and the shoulder, leaving you unable to move your arm... not quite sure if in that situation it's manageable

I didn't have a broken arm, but I did fall on my wrist on the tredmill. My right wrist was out of action for a couple of weeks. I'm a bedwetter so I ended up speaking with my gp. She gave me a list of companies that provided short term home help. I tried to do it myself but in the end I decided to get some help. It was a bit embarrassing at first but they were very friendly and professional. I got used to it after a couple of days.

ashy said:
Has anyone broken an arm and still been able to manage getting a nappy on themselves or with help? I'm just curious to know as I'm single and if the scenario ever arises.. I'd like to know.. If you have succeeded yourself.. Could you run through how you have done it? As a bedwetter who wears every time they sleep, I'd really like to know :)

Yup. The key is to have previously memorized where they tapes are supposed to end up at. You know, like you were supposed to.

Only use the cast arm to help hold the diaper in place. Reach over with your good arm and place the tapes in the right spot. Don't worry about getting a good fit when taping up the one side too. As long as you put the tapes in the right spot, you will automatically get a good fit every time.

Alternatively, you can also pre-tape the diaper then step into it like you would with underwear. This only works if you don't have really wide hips and a small waist though.

I have a partly paralyzed arm, so diapering can be a bit of a hassle when i want to wear. I find pull on's are good for this. As the tape on diapers get slightly crooked.

Enjoyed this, a couple years back (or so)...
Never could manage putting taped diapers on properly, so they wouldn't freakin' slip/come undone once I stood up and moved around a bit.
Thankfully I could spend most of my time at home/indoors, and used pull-ups. If they failed, I had no one around to notice/comment, and could clean-up myself w/o anyone being the wiser (Home and self).
I know amputees are taught some damned good methods for doing things sans a limb (or two, three). Maybe check through Youtube on that sort of thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back