Thickest boosters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Echo the above - the Betterdry's tall leakguards are well suited to use with a booster - I often add one or two Lille Classic Maxi boosters as a wicking / spreader layer. They are neither thick nor especially absorbent, but as they are mainly (or maybe entirely) pulp with little or no SAP, they are quite effective at spreading wetness around the nappy itself which is not one of the Betterdry's strong points. So they are more to optimise the performance of the nappy itself rather than to add capacity.

Offering a completely different feature set for boosting is the gDiaper pad intended for use in their hybrid baby nappies. These are high-SAP pads about the size of a traditional booster, that swell like crazy when wet although they are not good at spreading (as you would expect). Their unique feature is that they are flushable - you can tear the pad open along the side and it totally disintegrates and flushes easily down the toilet - which is good when I've messed. I'll put a couple of liners in a Betterdry to cover the leakguards, a gDiaper on top holds them in place, and I'm good to go. If I stay clean I get extra capacity from the gDiaper, if I mess then everything that gets messy can be flushed away hygienically leaving only a wet nappy to dispose of in the trash. Another benefit is for a very discreet capacity refresh. I can go to the bathroom without my changing bag but with a dry gDiaper folded in my jacket pocket. The wet one slides out without untaping and gets flushed away, then the dry one slips in and I've got rid of perhaps half the wetness from the nappy in a matter of seconds, and no-one knows anything. This is another incidental booster benefit.

The biggest booster I've tried is the hourglass '2XL' type that I got from NRU. This sticks to the lining of the nappy and is basically another full size nappy without the plastic backing. It's very soft and comfy and adds lots of capacity, but as mentioned above it completely swamps the inner leakguards. One of those in a large Bellissimo or Dry 24/7 (I'm at the top end of medium; can wear a large with some risk of leg leaks when sitting) makes a lovely thick and safe combo for night wear when I expect to be sleeping in, and have had a lot to drink. Then the capacity is key and the effect on the leakguards least important. They have a tendency to clump when wet, but not enough to make them ineffective. I would recommend them with caveats - won't be to everyone's liking I suspect.

So you use the Lille as an external surge pad ?
Are they economical for that type of use?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Yes-ish. They aren't especially fast at acquisition either, so what I think happens mainly is that they channel the flood over their surface, wicking it to all areas of the nappy below. I don't make any great claims for them except that when used in a nappy that swells excessively near the point of wetting, they enable me to get better utilisation from the nappy. They are cheap here, hence economical even for a modest increase in usable capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back