What constitutes as vintage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquasailor

Pull-Ups archivist
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
After perusing through ebay for some vintage diapers, I've noticed that the diapers that I remember from my high school years are classified as vintage. Hell, even some of the diapers that I remember from my uni years are vintage! This is a big leap forward from what I personally remember as vintage diapers being plastic backed. I'm glad I still have some plastic backed in my collection.

I think many of can agree that plastic diapers are vintage, but what about some of the recent cloth backed? It has amazed me as to how much the prices have skyrocketed from when I remember these diapers being filled up on every diaper shelf at the supermarket. This makes me wish I wasn't so reckless during my high school/uni years. Oh well, we were all young at one point in time.

I'm now curious, what do all of you count as vintage diapers? 20 years? 10 years? 5 years? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

I've noticed the same thing on eBay--diapers from only a couple of years ago being labeled "vintage." Although I probably wouldn't apply the term to anything less than ten years old, it seems that, on eBay, the term is simply shorthand for "out-of-production."

And, actually, I don't mind that. I makes it easy to spot all these out-of-production diapers. I suppose, in theory, it could become an issue if the number of these auctions was 10x what it is right now, but we're not there yet. It's still easy to search for "vintage diapers" and look through all the pictures. I like to do that anyway, because people often leave out important details. I happen to be sort of a hoarder of vintage (30+ years old) Curity cloth diapers, and I've several times found these in auctions that didn't even say "Curity."

My understanding of "vintage" for sale items is that it's 20+ years.

"Vintage" is a marketing tool just like "collectable", "limited edition", "collector's edition", "rare", etc that they use to try to convince you it's more valuable than something similar that lacks the tag.

I'm with bambinod all to common to use those terms to sucker people into worthless junk. point of fact today anything that Is made to say collectable or vintage Hanover produced worthless junk that will never have any real value or meaning because you started with nothing you end with nothing ..

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same and then you look at the prices some are asking. It seems a little ridiculous to me.

I have been using my cloth for ten years, would they have value to somebody else I doubt it.by they are priceless to me.

"Vintage" definitely refers to something in the past. Most people tend to associate the word with either style, or age. These jeans are vintage (style) or this table is vintage (really old). But the term also (and is probably more relevant to our particular interest in products) refers to quality. A vintage Chevy can be in reference to it's age, but is most likely a reference to the supposed standard of quality of the item back in the day.

Some of the products that are labeled as "vintage" on the sites might in fact be so. They may be a higher quality product that is no longer produced. Those days were not all that long ago for many of us. However, there is a seemingly increasing number of much younger people that seem to be searching for these things (and depending on who you are, I might be one). For them, "vintage" may be the 2006 model of Goodnites or something silly like that.

I tend to think of "vintage" as a reference to a higher quality in the past. I also tend to think of it as a massively overused word in today's society. A word that has taken on a so many meanings that it has become meaningless in any capacity other than to entice people into buying something. It's become a rather hipstery word.

Most things that start out being sold as "collectable" are only "valuable" for a brief period of time. (look at Beenie Babies) Once it stops being trendy to be collecting it, the value crashes and never really recovers.

A vintage is a good wine from a particular year, or the year itself.

So... wine from last year can be considered vintage -- it's more about the quality than the age.

It's sufficiently vaguely defined as to be meaningless when it comes to diapers.

Vintage are the Mark Clark protective pants you used to be able to get from surgical supply stores... God, these we're nice panties!

OK, so I'd say 25 years ago, and beyond should constitute "vintage", but an argument could be made for anything that's out of production, like the company that used to make the adult-sized Gerber's. They'd have to qualify as vintage, wouldn't they?

https://protex-medical.myshopify.com/products/297

Tiny is right. Vintage has no meaning other than for wine and for wine it doesn't mean old, it just means of a definite (harvest) year.

On side related note , I had s freeing who father passed away and left him a wine store , Jon was a beer guy , who found "good bottles and cases" hidden all over the place from "good years or harvests" left behind from his dad .

So he would give them to my wife and I to try because we liked wine , he had no idea if they were any good and told us try this tell me if its any good and i should sell it off, i said whats good to YOU Jon ?

"Well If it doesn't taste like someone pissed in your radiator after drinking to much Heineken"

Tried some realy good wine that way , then I moved and now live in grape country and can't drink any of it, well actually I could but Opiates, Benzo's and alcohol are a recipe for death that i dont want to play with.

That's my experience with "Vintage" wine, Guinea pig !

I'm surprised this is even up for debate. Dictionaries are your friend, though never refernce just one.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vintage
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/vintage
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=vintage&amp=true

Vintage once used to only mean when grape wine was made (which oxford still appies today). The currently used definiton applies to when the priod of origion or manufacturer date was (per merriam webster). More commonly understood as no longer being modern, but not yet old enough to be antique (per urban dictionary).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back