Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm engaged!!!

Default I'm engaged!!!

So I'm finally engaged! It's quite nerve-wracking but it's happening. We are planning to get married out of the country. Any must-do's that we should do during the preparation? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

What country are you getting married in? Have you set a date yet? Have you been in contact with a wedding chapel or church where you planned to be married? How many guests will be at the wedding/reception? Caterer? Flowers? Bridesmaids? Groomsmen? Dresses? Tuxes?

Lots to think about. My wife and I did our wedding planning ourselves and we did it in a year (engagement to wedding). We didn't have internet back then so we made a lot of phone calls and visited places - which you should do anyway.

Congratulations! "Finally" is an interesting choice of word for someone your age. Is there some background story I'm not aware of? Anyway, best wishes for the future!

Live with her for a full year before you get married. A LOT of little compatibility challenges come up only after you move in together. Too many people make the mistake of not truly getting used to a person before marriage, only to find out they aren't as compatible as they though. Often with a kid already onvthe way too.

Also, make sure she knows- and accepts- your dl or sd side too. And make sure she has seen you in a diaper too! (This makes it more real for her). Trying to even partially hide this has been nothing but a cause for trouble to other people here. Don't make their same mistake.

Congratulations.

It is hard to give advice to someone I don't know very well. Is there any background information that you think would be helpful? For starters, how long have you been dating? Do you currently live together? What country are you getting married in? Why? Does your fiancÚ wear diapers? Do they know that you do? Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticsounds View Post
    Congratulations.

It is hard to give advice to someone I don't know very well. Is there any background information that you think would be helpful? For starters, how long have you been dating? Do you currently live together? What country are you getting married in? Why? Does your fiancÚ wear diapers? Do they know that you do? Etc.
    We dated for around 6 months before moving in together (we both had bad living situations, so we both just jumped into it). We then lived together for a little over a year before getting married. Lots of little idiosyncrasies and habbits came up that tested our relationship- little stuff you won't get if not living together. We got married at our local courthouse- quickly, and on the cheap, and have been married and living together for 16 years now.

My wife doesn't wear diapers, except on rare occasions for me. However, I did tell her about my diapers way back on our third date. She didn't see me in just a diaper until we moved in though. It was a bit of a shocker for her, even though she already knew. Hence all of my earlier advice. I'm speaking from experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit. Oh, and make it a point to stay over and visit with her parents for a few days (hollidays are good for this). The same for her meeting your parents too.

You'd be surprised how much family can influence spousal relationships. Sometimes for the worse. Best to get to know them, hopefully on good terms, first.

Your diapers may or may not come up, but be preparred for it either way.

Slomo, we're you answering my background question? I really do want to know more about you, but I was asking OP.