I have never wore a cloth nappy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbilly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I’m 31 and have no interest wearing one either. Am I alone?

I’m sure your not. I got into the idea and I bought two of them. They literally feel like thick underwear and they are a pain in the butt to clean. I only ever wet them and the inserts are actually really absorbent but they feel like underwear so I don’t like them much.

podmuse said:
I’m sure your not. I got into the idea and I bought two of them. They literally feel like thick underwear and they are a pain in the butt to clean. I only ever wet them and the inserts are actually really absorbent but they feel like underwear so I don’t like them much.

Being incontinent it wasn't too long before I tried cloth diapers. I found they need to be extremely thick in order to work without leaking on me. This caused several bone and hip displacement problems, so I wasn't very comfortable using them. Not to mention, the laundry was tedious and constant.

However, I am glad I have them on hand now. They make an excellent plan C, should my emergency supply of disposables (plan B) ever run out.

I bought a flat one but soon gave up trying to fold it.

I’ve had bladder control problems for many years. Up until about 15 years ago, I wore cloth diapers and plastic pants. Cloth diapers are a much bigger hassle to deal with than disposables.

As someone who is incon, I thought about it but the amount of work to keep up with it is not somethin i can handle. I have a few AIOs that i have as diaper covers that can also work as emergency backup but I would stick to disposable if I'm the one that has to deal with em

I read something a while back about DL's being attracted to a particular types of diaper, something I'd never really thought of before; but then I realised I do have a specific type.

For me it's got to be disposable, tapes and most important, plastic and CRINKLY! The idea of wearing a cloth diaper for me, just doesn't do anything.... which is weird in itself!

Now I'm into ABU diapers, I also have the requirement of it having a nice print (eg. Kiddo's!), plain white just seems boring now.

I have tried disposables and hate the way they look on. I have always used cloth...was a cloth baby...and with many new styles now...contour..AIO I will stay with cloth,pins and plastic pants.

indigodl said:
I read something a while back about DL's being attracted to a particular types of diaper, something I'd never really thought of before; but then I realised I do have a specific type.

For me it's got to be disposable, tapes and most important, plastic and CRINKLY! The idea of wearing a cloth diaper for me, just doesn't do anything.... which is weird in itself!

Now I'm into ABU diapers, I also have the requirement of it having a nice print (eg. Kiddo's!), plain white just seems boring now.

I'd wager at least 70% of us can agree on most/all of that: disposable, tapes, crinkly, and prints. I'd also add mostly white shell, front and rear waist elastic, and thick padding to your list.

And strictly from a performance aspect (since I wear and wet fairly heavily overnight) I want good leak guards.

I suppose it depends how you were raised . I'm 19 and wore disposables when I was young so I'm more attached to them. I also reckon disposables absorb more than cloth.

I've tried disposables and there OK but my diapers of preference are cloth. I enjoy the look & feel of them. Maybe it's because I was raised in them. I know there is a considerable more hassle with cloth. Because of the hassle and due to the fact that people come over on occasion, I can't wet as much as I would like.

While as a baby I only ever wore cloth I am not really fond of them.

I have tried as an adult when I was 24/7 incon fitted cloth with varying amounts of success I just never managed to find the love for them anymore than I have ever found for pull ons.

Cloth diapers and plastic pants are much more comfortable for me. I usually wear them every night. But if I am away from home like during the day I often wear a disposable because they are more convenient and easy to manage--I don't have to bring the dirty ones home with me.

I used to only wear disposies and always wondered if I would like trying cloth... One day I did, and I like them as well :D. My analysis is:
Disposables:
  • Feel: Very rigid and rough, like wearing a sheet of paper when comparing to cloth
  • Absorption: keeping the same thickness, way more absorbent than cloth. Amazing to wear on public
  • Cleanup: Have to throw garbage every once in a while. Landfill.
Cloth:
  • Feel: Like sitting on a cloud/pillow. Also warmer than disposables (better for winter, worse for summer)
  • Absorption: Just make it thicker to get a better absorption. Night-time side-sleeping performance is way better than disposables. Just don't use it on public...
  • Cleanup: Spend 5 minutes rinsing with water, add it to the regular dirty cloth bin
In my case, I let the soakers dry up and if they don't smell at all, I'd reuse them. If they smell just a bit, I add them to the dirty cloth basket to get washed on the next cycle.

Last edited:
Vaan said:
I used to only wear disposies and always wondered if I would like trying cloth... One day I did, and I like them as well :D. My analysis is:
Disposables:
  • Feel: Very rigid and rough, like wearing a sheet of paper when comparing to cloth
  • Absorption: keeping the same thickness, way more absorbent than cloth. Amazing to wear on public
  • Cleanup: Have to throw garbage every once in a while. Landfill.
Cloth:
  • Feel: Like sitting on a cloud/pillow. Also warmer than disposables (better for winter, worse for summer)
  • Absorption: Just make it thicker to get a better absorption. Night-time side-sleeping performance is way better than disposables. Just don't use it on public...
  • Cleanup: Spend 5 minutes rinsing with water, add it to the regular dirty cloth bin
In my case, I let the soakers dry up and if they don't smell at all, I'd reuse them. If they smell just a bit, I add them to the dirty cloth basket to get washed on the next cycle.

If disposable feel like wearing a rigid sheet of paper, then you're not wearing the right disposables.

You also forgot to add cloth diapers are made of cotton which strips the land of nutrients. They require lots of chemical nutrients and loads of pesticides. Washing them also adds a lot of detergent and waste into our sewer systems. They are not exactly the "green" option we've been led to believe.

You are definitely not alone.

I have never really had the desire to wear a cloth diaper either. Growing up the diapers that I came to associate with being an AB were always thick, disposables that sounded crinkly and had colourful designs.

From what I have seen of cloth diapers they look like they would be tricky to get firmly into place. Cloth diapers also seem to have decent bulk, but they don't appear very absorbent to me and they don't seem very comfortable either, the distribution of bulk always seems off and sometimes the cloth used looks too coarse to be super comfortable. That being said, I applaud anyone who uses cloth diapers as they are much more eco-friendly.

Still, I never have and probably never will wear a cloth diaper, they weren't of my time and they have never been a part of my fantasies.

Slomo said:
If disposable feel like wearing a rigid sheet of paper, then you're not wearing the right disposables.

That depends a bit on what the composition is. Cloth diapers could be compared to a no-SAP disposable in that regard. Looking at a high sap diaper like an ATN or previous generation confidry or northshore, those are thin and stiff, but swell quite a bit when wet. Cloth diapers (and no-sap disposable diapers) don't swell, they're as thick as they're ever going to get when dry.

bambinod said:
That depends a bit on what the composition is. Cloth diapers could be compared to a no-SAP disposable in that regard. Looking at a high sap diaper like an ATN or previous generation confidry or northshore, those are thin and stiff, but swell quite a bit when wet. Cloth diapers (and no-sap disposable diapers) don't swell, they're as thick as they're ever going to get when dry.

Sap or not, any premium diapers is still going to have enough pulp to not feel like a sheet of paper. Vaan didn't say what diapers he is using, but did comment they keep their thickness the same. Meaning he is using a no sap, and very thin diaper. Ie, he isn't using the right ones.

Slomo said:
Sap or not, any premium diapers is still going to have enough pulp to not feel like a sheet of paper. Vaan didn't say what diapers he is using, but did comment they keep their thickness the same. Meaning he is using a no sap, and very thin diaper. Ie, he isn't using the right ones.

Well, my current disposable stash is (in thin -> thick order): Tena Slip Plus, ID Expert Extra, Formacare X-Plus, BetterDry.... So I'd say I'm not using sap-less / thin diapers.

What I meant with the sheet of paper is not about the thickness, but that generally they are rough and rigid: all of it is made from plastic, and the sides are a bit sharp... now compare this to the softness of a cloth towel. This is just how I feel it.

Slomo said:
You also forgot to add cloth diapers are made of cotton which strips the land of nutrients. They require lots of chemical nutrients and loads of pesticides. Washing them also adds a lot of detergent and waste into our sewer systems. They are not exactly the "green" option we've been led to believe.

Also, I don't agree on this. I didn't say how they are super green and eco-friendly, but they are definetly more eco-friendly than disposable diapers - I just mentioned that disposables contribute to landfill. Plastic is non biodegradable, and they also use celulose pulp to make them, so they also "strip land nutrients". And as I said, as mines are just wet, I usually rinse them with cold water and let them air dry, so don't worry too much about detergent either.

As a final note - I don't think cloth are better than disposables... They all have their own advantatges/disatvantatges, so I wear them both about the same, that's my point.

Vaan said:
Well, my current disposable stash is (in thin -> thick order): Tena Slip Plus, ID Expert Extra, Formacare X-Plus, BetterDry.... So I'd say I'm not using sap-less / thin diapers.

What I meant with the sheet of paper is not about the thickness, but that generally they are rough and rigid: all of it is made from plastic, and the sides are a bit sharp... now compare this to the softness of a cloth towel. This is just how I feel it.

Also, I don't agree on this. I didn't say how they are super green and eco-friendly, but they are definetly more eco-friendly than disposable diapers - I just mentioned that disposables contribute to landfill. Plastic is non biodegradable, and they also use celulose pulp to make them, so they also "strip land nutrients". And as I said, as mines are just wet, I usually rinse them with cold water and let them air dry, so don't worry too much about detergent either.

As a final note - I don't think cloth are better than disposables... They all have their own advantatges/disatvantatges, so I wear them both about the same, that's my point.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that you're not taking everything into full consideration with either one being eco friendly. The truth is neither are, so don't fool yourself.

And ps, plastic diapers take oil that would otherwise be converted/burned and ultimately puts it right back into the ground. Versus the massive amount of transport fuels burned in order to support just the growing of cotton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back