Painful urgency

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltaluv

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I've had my catheter out for two and a half days now, and I'm still fighting with very, very painful urgency. I'm trying hard not to take any Vicodin unless I really need it, and most of my bladder pain has calmed down. But sometimes, as my bladder fills, I get a horrible sense of urgency where my bladder just clenches. It's very painful, and when it's happened I've come very close to having accidents.

I've been debating whether to go back to wearing diapers, but it's pretty clear that I need to. Meanwhile, I keep hoping that the pain will subside, and hopefully take the incontinence with it for a while.

ltaluv said:
I've had my catheter out for two and a half days now, and I'm still fighting with very, very painful urgency. I'm trying hard not to take any Vicodin unless I really need it, and most of my bladder pain has calmed down. But sometimes, as my bladder fills, I get a horrible sense of urgency where my bladder just clenches. It's very painful, and when it's happened I've come very close to having accidents.

I've been debating whether to go back to wearing diapers, but it's pretty clear that I need to. Meanwhile, I keep hoping that the pain will subside, and hopefully take the incontinence with it for a while.

Well you already know what happened after I tried fighting my urges by still holding it anyways. I WILL get worse. It always gets worse.

You may not like diapers, but please trust me when I say there are worse things to deal with.

That depresses me. I wore a diaper today, and at least this time I was able to leak instead of trying to white-knuckle my way through the pain and urgency.

I'm so tired of hurting.

ltaluv said:
That depresses me. I wore a diaper today, and at least this time I was able to leak instead of trying to white-knuckle my way through the pain and urgency.

I'm so tired of hurting.

Glad you tried that, Fo you agree that it is the best solution at the moment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltaluv said:

I'm so tired of hurting.

It shouldn't be. Fighting the need for diapers is all in your head, and all because you've fallen for the common misconceptions of adult diapers. Think about it, not having to deal with constantly reoccuring pain is a relief, not a depressant.

And the fact your diaper leaked also means you need better diapers. I know that having to deal with leaks can be bothersome, and even feed into that depressing feeling. Using diapers you can trust goes a long way in improving your life.

Right now it's either way diapers or have a catheter in full time. The two weeks I spent catheter were good in that I'd forgotten how nice it feels not to worry about accidents, leaks, and diaper changes, and it hurt less than the spasms I get when my bladder fills. However, it also put me at dusk for infection, had it's own set of discomforts, and I spent most of the time feeling a moderate urge to pee even though my bladder was empty.

If I can get away from the spasms, then a diaper is definitely preferable. If the spasms continue, I'll talk to my doctor about going back to the catheter.

I'm stuck between two bad choices, with pain, discomfort, and high costs no matter which way I go.

- - - Updated - - -

I should clarify that I leaked urine from my bladder into my diaper. My diaper didn't leak. When I use up some of the L4s I have, I'll probably go to the Northshore Supremes because most seem to agree they resist clumping better, but I haven't had a leak from the Abenas.

The pain happens whether I'm wearing a diaper or not. My bladder will start to fill, then will very suddenly clench painfully trying to put out the urine. I have considerable retention and still have to cath regularly (I can't empty the last 250 ml out of my bladder without a catheter), so my bladder will fill even if I were to try wetting my diaper continuously, and I'll end up with spasms and pain.

My ulcerative colitis is flaring and I've got a biliary obstruction, both of which are painful. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I have intractible bladder pain, too.

ltaluv said:
Right now it's either way diapers or have a catheter in full time. The two weeks I spent catheter were good in that I'd forgotten how nice it feels not to worry about accidents, leaks, and diaper changes, and it hurt less than the spasms I get when my bladder fills. However, it also put me at dusk for infection, had it's own set of discomforts, and I spent most of the time feeling a moderate urge to pee even though my bladder was empty.

If I can get away from the spasms, then a diaper is definitely preferable. If the spasms continue, I'll talk to my doctor about going back to the catheter.

I'm stuck between two bad choices, with pain, discomfort, and high costs no matter which way I go.

- - - Updated - - -

I should clarify that I leaked urine from my bladder into my diaper. My diaper didn't leak. When I use up some of the L4s I have, I'll probably go to the Northshore Supremes because most seem to agree they resist clumping better, but I haven't had a leak from the Abenas.

The pain happens whether I'm wearing a diaper or not. My bladder will start to fill, then will very suddenly clench painfully trying to put out the urine. I have considerable retention and still have to cath regularly (I can't empty the last 250 ml out of my bladder without a catheter), so my bladder will fill even if I were to try wetting my diaper continuously, and I'll end up with spasms and pain.

My ulcerative colitis is flaring and I've got a biliary obstruction, both of which are painful. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I have intractible bladder pain, too.

Oh, my appologies I misunderstood. Yeah, when cathetered I too will often leak past the catheter. I guess that's part of why I just let my catheter drain into my diaper. I need one anyways, so why not use it. Plus, not needing a separate collection bag is more comfortable for me too.

And also yeah, even when catheterized (or now that my urethra is opened up) my kidneys will sometimes dump a bunch of urine into my bladder all at once. This will trigger a bladder urge in me, even though it will just drain out seconds later. Kind of annoying, BUT those urges are less intense and much shorter lived than otherwise.

I wear a diaper because I have urge urinary incontinence. When one of my urges occurs, resisting the need to urinate quickly becomes painful. If I continue to resist an urge, it may eventually pass after 5 to 10 minutes. Or it my continue to the point at which I begin leaking uncontrollably. Unless a bathroom happens to be close by, wetting in my diaper quickly relieves the discomfort.

I have urge urinary incontinence. I was diagnosed with it in 2008. I have tried catheters and I would get bad UT infections. I wear diapers instead. I am used to it now. I would rather wear than deal with pain or infections.

ltaluv said:
I've had my catheter out for two and a half days now, and I'm still fighting with very, very painful urgency. (snip) It's very painful.

What you are describing is an infection. Many people, my self included, get urinary tract infections (UTI) during an after catheters. Please see a doctor ASAP.

Scaramouche said:
What you are describing is an infection. Many people, my self included, get urinary tract infections (UTI) during an after catheters. Please see a doctor ASAP.

This. Unless you've explicitly gone to see a doctor and the doctor has told you, "it's totally normal for what you described to happen in your situation," you should assume it's an infection (hopefully just a urinary tract infection / UTI)--especially if your urine is cloudy.

And, to be clear, a UTI is not something to simply shrug off or accept. It can progress to a bladder infection and subsequently to nephritis, which itself might end in your kidneys failing.

So go see a doctor.

I talked to the urologist about this during my follow-up appointment for my hydrodistension. She sais that it's related to my bowl and liver issues rather than my bladder specifically. However, she also put in a new Foley that I had in for three weeks. That seemed to give my bladder enough time to finally hear, since when that was removed a week ago, my pain is much better.

Meanwhile, I'm scheduled to get a blocked bile duct dilated next week, so hopefully that'll reduce the reflected pain, along with other liver symptoms.

We shall see. In the meantime, I'm continent and mostly pain free, at least from my bladder.

ltaluv said:
I talked to the urologist about this during my follow-up appointment for my hydrodistension. She sais that it's related to my bowl and liver issues rather than my bladder specifically. However, she also put in a new Foley that I had in for three weeks. That seemed to give my bladder enough time to finally hear, since when that was removed a week ago, my pain is much better.

Meanwhile, I'm scheduled to get a blocked bile duct dilated next week, so hopefully that'll reduce the reflected pain, along with other liver symptoms.

We shall see. In the meantime, I'm continent and mostly pain free, at least from my bladder.

Just remember to NOT try holding it if/when you get an urge agan. That's still likely a part of what lead you to needing catheters in the first place.

ltaluv said:

It sounds to me like this is what docs call a 'secondary condition' thats actually a side effect of other medical problems. I agree with others who say not to hold and cause yourself pain but you will have to make sure to ware protection all the time. Its sometimes a hassle though especially when your at home and not necessarly using protection. Ive had to clean up enough accidents to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick update: my bladder has been awesome. My urgency has been mild, I haven't been having accidents, and my residual volume is low enough that I've only been cathing two or three times a day. If it always worked like this, I'd have little to complain about, and only need to wear diapers when I was really going to have to go a long time between restroom breaks. Of course, over time it'll start going back downhill, but I'll at least enjoy it while things are working well.

Unfortunately, the rest of my insides aren't doing as well. My colitis is going, and I've been struggling through a freakishly long bout of pancreatitis after my procedure a couple of weeks ago. When it occurs, the pancreatitis is usually gone in a few days. This time, it's been going almost two weeks. My gastro just put me on clear liquids for three days to give my pancreas some rest, which really sucks. But having two weeks of significant abdominal pain sucks, too.

But at least my bladder is behaving itself so I only have one thing to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back