Thread: Painful urgency

Default Painful urgency

I've had my catheter out for two and a half days now, and I'm still fighting with very, very painful urgency. I'm trying hard not to take any Vicodin unless I really need it, and most of my bladder pain has calmed down. But sometimes, as my bladder fills, I get a horrible sense of urgency where my bladder just clenches. It's very painful, and when it's happened I've come very close to having accidents.

I've been debating whether to go back to wearing diapers, but it's pretty clear that I need to. Meanwhile, I keep hoping that the pain will subside, and hopefully take the incontinence with it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ltaluv View Post
    I've had my catheter out for two and a half days now, and I'm still fighting with very, very painful urgency. I'm trying hard not to take any Vicodin unless I really need it, and most of my bladder pain has calmed down. But sometimes, as my bladder fills, I get a horrible sense of urgency where my bladder just clenches. It's very painful, and when it's happened I've come very close to having accidents.

I've been debating whether to go back to wearing diapers, but it's pretty clear that I need to. Meanwhile, I keep hoping that the pain will subside, and hopefully take the incontinence with it for a while.
    Well you already know what happened after I tried fighting my urges by still holding it anyways. I WILL get worse. It always gets worse.

You may not like diapers, but please trust me when I say there are worse things to deal with.

That depresses me. I wore a diaper today, and at least this time I was able to leak instead of trying to white-knuckle my way through the pain and urgency.

I'm so tired of hurting.

That depresses me. I wore a diaper today, and at least this time I was able to leak instead of trying to white-knuckle my way through the pain and urgency.

I'm so tired of hurting.
    Glad you tried that, Fo you agree that it is the best solution at the moment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so tired of hurting.
    It shouldn't be. Fighting the need for diapers is all in your head, and all because you've fallen for the common misconceptions of adult diapers. Think about it, not having to deal with constantly reoccuring pain is a relief, not a depressant.

And the fact your diaper leaked also means you need better diapers. I know that having to deal with leaks can be bothersome, and even feed into that depressing feeling. Using diapers you can trust goes a long way in improving your life.

Right now it's either way diapers or have a catheter in full time. The two weeks I spent catheter were good in that I'd forgotten how nice it feels not to worry about accidents, leaks, and diaper changes, and it hurt less than the spasms I get when my bladder fills. However, it also put me at dusk for infection, had it's own set of discomforts, and I spent most of the time feeling a moderate urge to pee even though my bladder was empty.

If I can get away from the spasms, then a diaper is definitely preferable. If the spasms continue, I'll talk to my doctor about going back to the catheter.

I'm stuck between two bad choices, with pain, discomfort, and high costs no matter which way I go.

- - - Updated - - -

I should clarify that I leaked urine from my bladder into my diaper. My diaper didn't leak. When I use up some of the L4s I have, I'll probably go to the Northshore Supremes because most seem to agree they resist clumping better, but I haven't had a leak from the Abenas.

The pain happens whether I'm wearing a diaper or not. My bladder will start to fill, then will very suddenly clench painfully trying to put out the urine. I have considerable retention and still have to cath regularly (I can't empty the last 250 ml out of my bladder without a catheter), so my bladder will fill even if I were to try wetting my diaper continuously, and I'll end up with spasms and pain.

My ulcerative colitis is flaring and I've got a biliary obstruction, both of which are painful. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I have intractible bladder pain, too.

Right now it's either way diapers or have a catheter in full time. The two weeks I spent catheter were good in that I'd forgotten how nice it feels not to worry about accidents, leaks, and diaper changes, and it hurt less than the spasms I get when my bladder fills. However, it also put me at dusk for infection, had it's own set of discomforts, and I spent most of the time feeling a moderate urge to pee even though my bladder was empty.

If I can get away from the spasms, then a diaper is definitely preferable. If the spasms continue, I'll talk to my doctor about going back to the catheter.

I'm stuck between two bad choices, with pain, discomfort, and high costs no matter which way I go.

- - - Updated - - -

I should clarify that I leaked urine from my bladder into my diaper. My diaper didn't leak. When I use up some of the L4s I have, I'll probably go to the Northshore Supremes because most seem to agree they resist clumping better, but I haven't had a leak from the Abenas.

The pain happens whether I'm wearing a diaper or not. My bladder will start to fill, then will very suddenly clench painfully trying to put out the urine. I have considerable retention and still have to cath regularly (I can't empty the last 250 ml out of my bladder without a catheter), so my bladder will fill even if I were to try wetting my diaper continuously, and I'll end up with spasms and pain.

My ulcerative colitis is flaring and I've got a biliary obstruction, both of which are painful. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I have intractible bladder pain, too.
    Oh, my appologies I misunderstood. Yeah, when cathetered I too will often leak past the catheter. I guess that's part of why I just let my catheter drain into my diaper. I need one anyways, so why not use it. Plus, not needing a separate collection bag is more comfortable for me too.

And also yeah, even when catheterized (or now that my urethra is opened up) my kidneys will sometimes dump a bunch of urine into my bladder all at once. This will trigger a bladder urge in me, even though it will just drain out seconds later. Kind of annoying, BUT those urges are less intense and much shorter lived than otherwise.

I wear a diaper because I have urge urinary incontinence. When one of my urges occurs, resisting the need to urinate quickly becomes painful. If I continue to resist an urge, it may eventually pass after 5 to 10 minutes. Or it my continue to the point at which I begin leaking uncontrollably. Unless a bathroom happens to be close by, wetting in my diaper quickly relieves the discomfort.