Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump Aides Charged

Default Trump Aides Charged

Surprised nobody's started a thread about Robert Mueller's charges against member's of Trump's campaign team.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/30/here...ates-mean.html

The FBI has filed the first charges against three of Trump's former aides in the Trump-Russia collusion investigation. Charges were laid against Paul Manafort and a business associate, Rick Gates, were charged with twelve counts including conspiracy to launder money, unregistered agent of a foreign principal, false and misleading FARA statements, and seven counts of failure to file the reposrts of foreign bank and financial statements.

The charges stem from actions that took place before the Trump campaign, however, what is unclear is how they used their agenda to influence Trump's campaign and Russia's involvement. It is also likely that these are only the first of more charges to follow.

A third person, GeorgePapadopoulos, a campaign aide and former energy adviser before he joined the Trump campaign, pleaded guilty on Oct. 5th to lying to FBI investigators. He faces up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $9,500. The White House dismissed Papadopoulos as simply having been a "volunteer with extremely limited experience, proven to be a liar." however, Mueller's team already has had, possibly for weeks, a co-operating witness in the charges to date.

If Manafort could be caught up in a probe for a violation of the misleading statements under the Foreign Agents Registration Act, then it's possible that former national security adviser Michael Flynn might be vulnerable to being indicted next, Flannery said.

Flynn, like Manafort, retroactively registered as a foreign agent. His consulting firm also accepted $530,000 to represent Turkey's interests while he served in the campaign. And he may have misled FBI agents by reportedly denying that he ever discussed sanctions with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak.

If investigators have found enough to charge him, lawyers say, one possibility is that Flynn is already co-operating with the FBI.

It will be interesting to see where this investigation goes in the days and months to come, and it is still early days yet. I think Mueller has sent a strong message that he is not afraid to go after people at the top, the question are how much these charges aginst these individuals actually influenced the campaign and how much of it will lead directly to Trump, his family, and his advisors.

Whatever happens, Trump will not be able to Twitter this away.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 3 Weeks Ago at 15:10.

It's hard to keep up with all the newstrumps. There's are just so many... every day!

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm a bit confused by the news reports I've merely glanced at. Who are these people? What exactly is an "aide".. just a friend/confidant, an employee...?

And what is the flow of money here? Where did it come from, how/why was it laundered, and who was paid... and for what? What deals were done... and how did that affect anything? Does anyone really know yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Whatever happens, Trump will not be able to Twitter this away.
    Ah, he was banned from Twitter last night! Sadly it only lasted for eleven minutes...
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/2/1...ealdonaldtrump

I read in The Washington Post (or it may have been The Today Show) that this may soon stretch further into the White House and that Trump may throw his son in law under the bus. They wondered what Ivanka would think if her own father pinned the blame on his son in law? All of this is getting more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Ah, he was banned from Twitter last night! Sadly it only lasted for eleven minutes...
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/2/1...ealdonaldtrump

And I hope that person goes to prison for a very long time. Whether you like trump or hate him the fact that he was able to shut down The Twitter account of one of the most powerful people on the planet opens up a very large security breach. What if he had instead Declared war on North Korea in trump's stead? And if it happened right now that means it could have happened to Obama before trump or any president after trump or any world leader on the service for that mater. It is a very real security risk that needs to be severly dealt with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    And I hope that person goes to prison for a very long time. Whether you like trump or hate him the fact that he was able to shut down The Twitter account of one of the most powerful people on the planet opens up a very large security breach. What if he had instead Declared war on North Korea in trump's stead?

And if it happened right now that means it could have happened to Obama before trump or any president after trump or any world leader on the service for that mater. It is a very real security risk that needs to be severly dealt with.
    Twitter isn't an official line of communication used by world leaders to chat to each other! Especially from Trump's public relations account.

It's not like Trump is going to declare war and announce it on Twitter without telling anyone! Kim isn't going to see a message like this and just fire off a nuke without picking up the phone to check!

Twitter isn't an official line of communication used by world leaders to chat to each other! Especially from Trump's public relations account.

It's not like Trump is going to declare war and announce it on Twitter without telling anyone! Kim isn't going to see a message like this and just fire off a nuke without picking up the phone to check!
    If this was any other president I would agree with you. But I wouldn't put it past him.

And deactivating an account is very different than posting from the account. My guess would be that it's impossible through standard methods to post as someone else short of logging in as that person with their password. Where as deactivating a user's account is probably a pretty standard operation for them.

And just out of curiosity, Wolfpack, what would he be charged with that would land him in jail?

Quote Originally Posted by Technologic View Post
    Where as deactivating a user's account is probably a pretty standard operation for them.

And just out of curiosity, Wolfpack, what would he be charged with that would land him in jail?
    Deactivating an account is only standard opperation as far as a violation of terms go, which was not the case. This person shut it down for laughs because he could on his last day, which is a very diffrent situation.

As for the charge, Violation of cyber security rules regarding the POTUS. The employee's actions had he stayed with Twitter Would have been cause for discipline and violated company policy And potentially could have been seen as a cyber crime involving POTUS which could raise it automaticly to felony status As it can be considered a crime against the White House and US government.

The basis for this being seen as a crime lies in the fact that the employed violated Twitter's company policy when dealing with deactivating accounts.

As for the charge, Violation of cyber security rules regarding the POTUS.
    That just begs the question: what rules?

The employee's actions had he stayed with Twitter Would have been cause for discipline and violated company policy And potentially could have been seen as a cyber crime involving POTUS which could raise it automaticly to felony status As it can be considered a crime against the White House and US government.

The basis for this being seen as a crime lies in the fact that the employed violated Twitter's company policy when dealing with deactivating accounts.
    There's a HUUUUGE difference between violating company policy and committing a crime!

You can't seriously be suggesting that private businesses should have the right to make laws without any parliamentary/government oversight?!

That just begs the question: what rules?

There's a HUUUUGE difference between violating company policy and committing a crime!

You can't seriously be suggesting that private businesses should have the right to make laws without any parliamentary/government oversight?!
    There are unique rules via secret service regarding POTUS and their unique security. Referring to this action in regards to a regular user You are correct there Is no cause for criminal action. However when taking into consideration the seriousness of anyone at the company haveing access to a world leaders account is troubling. This employee at the very least needs to be put on the FBI criminal watch list and security at twitter needs to be tightened With regards to high profile accounts.

Deactivating an account is only standard opperation as far as a violation of terms go, which was not the case. This person shut it down for laughs because he could on his last day, which is a very diffrent situation.

As for the charge, Violation of cyber security rules regarding the POTUS. The employee's actions had he stayed with Twitter Would have been cause for discipline and violated company policy And potentially could have been seen as a cyber crime involving POTUS which could raise it automaticly to felony status As it can be considered a crime against the White House and US government.

So my point about deactivating being a standard operation was that they customer service people get a handy button that deactivates the account. It wasn't some nefarious breech of security that allowed the person to gain access they were not suppose to have. So the threat of the CSR posting as if he was Trump was not existent.

I would also argue that Trump has in fact violated the terms on Twitter with some of his tweets. The fact the Twitter itself added qualifiers like, "news worthiness" as a reason for why they didn't take down his NK tweet proves that he broke the terms. But that is a whole separate issues.

There are unique rules via secret service regarding POTUS and their unique security. Referring to this action in regards to a regular user You are correct there Is no cause for criminal action. However when taking into consideration the seriousness of anyone at the company haveing access to a world leaders account is troubling. This employee at the very least needs to be put on the FBI criminal watch list and security at twitter needs to be tightened With regards to high profile accounts.

Over the last few years the Courts have ruled that violating company policy/ToS agreements do not constitute crimes. He most definitely would have been fired had he not already quit, but the courts would disagree that it is a crime.

Though I would agree this shouldnt have happened (even though personally I found it to be a fun 11 minutes of sanity) and Twitter should have had systems in play that require 2 approvals to deactivate high ranking accounts.