Thread: Job interview today.....

Default Job interview today.....

The job interview is today, and I'm so fucking nervous

Advice and tips before I faint

Try and calm down. Be yourself. Be on time. Be willing to work any hours. Many object to weekends and evening hours. Good luck!

Deep breaths!

The thing I always struggle with is small-talk... When you meet the employee that's been sent to greet you and you have that long nervous walk to the interview room... And I panic and just walk awkwardly in silence. Just planning some "friendly, normal" stuff to chat about helps me. The weather, the building, what that person does at the company, etc...

Show an interest in the job... Ask about training and whether there are ways to move up in the company. This gives them the impression that you are both ambitious, and loyal (looking to stay with the company in the long term).

The best thing you can do if you don't have a lot of experience is to be likeable... give employers the impression that you're nice, friendly, open, honest, trustworthy, relaxed, etc. DON'T FORGET TO SMILE! Not an awkward, forced smile... but a relaxed one, with a firm handshake, and eye contact.

At the end of the interview, thank them for the opportunity and say (something like) you really hope to be working with them soon. You want to give them the impression that you can see yourself in the job. And you want to implant in them the concept of you working for them. Last impressions count as much as first impressions. Psychologically, it will be easier for them to give you the job if you've caused them to imagine you already there. (Human brains are weird. )

Best of luck to ya!

all that nervous energy is just excitement waiting to happen try to use that energy to sound enthusiastic, don't worry about hiding it everyone's nervous. The person giving the interview is nervous too.

And if this job is in the retail or service industries DEPENDABLE is your middle name be little dependable Jess. I'm rooting for you

Probably I am too late - but good luck.

Remember they want you to be right for the job they are offering - all you have to do is show that you are.

Being enthusiastic and interested, looking smart, turning up on time, being nice to everyone you meet there are all little things that can make a big difference.

I take it the interview didn't go well? What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
    I take it the interview didn't go well? What happened?
    I don't know, haven't heard back, have a gut feeling it went bad.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJess View Post
    Keep calm. Nothing has happened yet. I interviewed twice for the current job I have. The third time I got it!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJess View Post
    Don't panic! I've had interviews I thought went terribly and got the job. I've got my fingers crossed for you, LittleJess!

Did they tell you when they would get back to you?

It may or may not be a good move... but... is it worth calling up, telling them how hopefully excited you are about the possibility of working for them, and ask whether a decision has been made, or when you might find out whether you have got the job? If they haven't decided yet, this will remind them of you, show how much you want the job, and maybe be enough to convince them that you'll be a good fit for the position.

But, you don't want to bug them if they've already told you when they're going to let you know. :-/

Abracadabra! Bless you with magic rainbows! And may you get the job!

But if it doesn't work out, it's always good to have some real-life interview experience. Ask the company if they have any feedback on your interview, and if there's anything you could have done better.

Interviews are tricky. For a business, it's like buying a used car! They get to ask a couple of questions, kick your tyres, and make a decision. Any little insignificant thing can put them off. And they don't even have time to "look under the bonnet" to see what you're really made of.

So don't feel like you're a failure if you don't get the job. It's not always about your skills and abilities; it's about showing your skills and abilities (or bullshitting about them). You have to talk yourself up, and show that you're confident more than anything.

There may be a lot of competition, and there will have been plenty of equally good people, and it's just a roll of the dice You need to keep applying, and keep rolling those dice until you get lucky.

If you are unlucky this time, call them up and ask what you could have done better in the interview. Ask if they would consider you in future if you addressed these issues. Listen to what they say (and don't react or explain), just make a note of what they say and thank them for their constructive criticism.

Hopefully this will impress them by showing that a) you really want a job and b) you are the kind of person who can take criticism and wants to better themselves -- the perfect employee! Maybe they'll consider you for another role or let you know of any future vacancies.

And if not, you've had some useful interview experience, and feedback that will help you nab that job next time.

Either way, you should be proud of yourself. Job applications and interviews can be stressful experiences.

And now I've got my toes crossed for you too! But there's no icon for that, so have another...