Cloth Nappies (Towels)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyh

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
So after 3 nights with my new folded towels I think it's going well so far.

One in the wash, wearing one and a spare. Not sure if I've got the right size plastic pants though. Don't get me wrong they haven't let me down. They just feel a bit small, ordered large. Maybe should have gone XL.

They just feel a bit on the small side around the back, I have about half an inch if that from the top of the towel to the top of the pants, Legs fit great though.

Should I go XL or XXL. Thing is these things are not cheap! Oh and I have a question on washing them. I've been taking them into the shower and just rinsing them through, is that the best thing to do or can I stick them in the washer?

I have a 15 min wash on my washer.

Some prefer not to, but I generally throw my vinyl pants into the wash with my diapers. When they come out, I do my best to shake any remaining water droplets off of them and that's it--back into my diaper stash. The 4mil pants have lasted me about two years on average.

I've found over the years that if you want your plastic pants to last, you better go big. I gave up trying to have a "normal fit". Every time I did that, the plastic tore at the legs, usually at the side seams. So now my plastic pants balloon over my diaper but they last a LOT longer. As long as there is just a bit of pressure from the elastics I'm secure from leaks. They are really poofy this way and look kind of old fashioned babyish. Oh well....

As far as washing, the two killers are heat and bleach. Oils from your skin and lotions/oils are hard on the plastic too. Wash cold and hang dry.

I also found that when they get so stiff that they are nearly useless that you can save them. It's sounds kind of weird. But go online and get "Plastic Softener" from any site that sells supplies for making plastic worms and other soft plastic fishing lures. It's a liquid plasticizer that makes plastics more flexible. Take just a bit and spread a light film on the stiff areas inside and out. Avoid getting it on the elastic though or they'll go limp. Fold them up in a zip lock bag. Then put them in the microwave oven for about 30 seconds. They have to get pretty warm before the plastic absorbs the liquid (but not too hot that they melt). You need to experiment with the time and maybe even add another coat of softener to get them where you like them. Take your time experimenting. Thick plastic pants take more than thin. If they're still stiff when they cool down, or if the plasticizer is gone put some more on the pants, warm them up a bit warmer than the time before. Repeat till they get soft. It only takes about five minutes of your time to repair them. I've saved tons of money on my pants by doing this. You can easily triple their life:)

You should wash your diapers at least two at a time. This will ballance the load, and reduce wear on your washer. If not, you will break even a top load washing machine by loading it with just one cloth diaper.

And yes you can wash your diaper covers along with your cloth diapers. PUL will last the longest, even with a little bleach added. Mostly you should just use dreft detergent though.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back