Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continence Diary - thoughts and findings?

Default Continence Diary - thoughts and findings?

Hiya All,

Who maintains a Continence Diary?

I haven't been specifically told I had to start one, but thought it'd be a good idea anyway. So at the start of the month, whilst bored at work, I started one.

Have now been tracking in and outs for a month, and the results are interesting.

1) I drink way too much coffee
    2) I'm inputting between 1800 and 2600ml per day (water coffee tea milk...)
    3) The past four days, my output has dropped right off (the graph is quite glaring), outputting only 500ml for the day (1850 input). I can feel this retention in my legs and feet, tightness in my clothes. This, I'm starting to worry over...
    4) My sister says "you should be drinking 3L water", but my body is telling me that I'm not thirsty... so I'm not drinking.

What do you lot track in your continence diaries?

I did once, just to verify what was going in, and when it was coming out.

Coffee is ok, just don't brew it so dark you can't see the bottom of the pot. And it's best to not drink it after lunch. Your sister might be right too. 2 liters is pretty much the minimum you need to stay healthy- mire depending on your weight. Yeah you can survive on, and even get used to, less than that, but it's not helping you by staying dehydrated so much.

I did one for myself when I went to my doctor. At the time I was experiencing Over Active Bladder and urge issues. I was going 150ml every hour or so and having enuresis issues at night. Since taking Flomax all the OAB problems have gone away (well, almost). Coffee, alcohol and soda are killers for me. I would dump them almost as fast as I take them in. Also, anxiety over the whole IC issue doesn't help either I found. So, yeah a diary will give you a lot of information. If I were to pursue my issues further I would definitely start another diary.

I had to keep a continence diary while being assessed by the Continence nurse for my supply of pads from the NHS

Out of curiosity, for nighttime only Iíve been logging my ďoutĒ for the last couple of years. With no change in input my overnight out goes from 40 ounces plus all the way down to a rare zero. So much variation makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WBxx View Post
    Out of curiosity, for nighttime only Iíve been logging my ďoutĒ for the last couple of years. With no change in input my overnight out goes from 40 ounces plus all the way down to a rare zero. So much variation makes no sense to me.
    The human body goes through natural cycles of retaining and expelling water. Women get this to a greater extent than men, but we guys do get it as well. Most just never notice.

How much water we expell is also affected by what foods we have recently eaten, how tired we are, and a whole slew of other factors. It's quite normal, and to be expected.

Lots of people drink much more water than they need. I know people who push 4L a day, regardless of activity levels, water content of food, or what else they're drinking.

The body is very good at maintaining the proper fluid balance. However, to keep your kidneys healthy (and to avoid stones) it's often recommended to drink enough fluids to keep your urine pale yellow. This will also help about bladder irritation from concentrated urine, and will help keep the urine from smelling strongly for those of us who wear diapers.

I kept a bladder diary for about a month some time ago. The big thing I learned from it is that my bouts of urgency we're much more frequent than I'd realized. That put my urge incontinence into better perspective.

I'm not logging any urges, or floods, only pad weights after nappy changes, and estimates of output after I've been to the toilet normally.

So, at work, I'm going about 5 to 6 times to the toilet in 8 hours, and working work days, three nappy weights. On weekends, it's about 4 to 5 nappy weights.

None of those recordings show how many urges/floods I have between each change (nor those which lead to urine output into pullups at work).

I kepet a log of my bladder issues when by OAB fist started to act up neither my docor or urologist wanted ti see it so I stopped recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    The human body goes through natural cycles of retaining and expelling water. Women get this to a greater extent than men, but we guys do get it as well. Most just never notice.

How much water we expell is also affected by what foods we have recently eaten, how tired we are, and a whole slew of other factors. It's quite normal, and to be expected.
    Thanks for the reassurance. Somewhat related, with increasing age I sense my overnight urine production has significantly increased. As a young man I donít recall ever, or at least rarely, needing the bathroom during the night. Granted, my bladder capacity was greater back then. But even at that, I donít believe it could have ever held the volume I frequently generate overnight now. Assume itís the same for others?