Status
Not open for further replies.

Slomo

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Just thought I'd put this out here. It's for anyone needing mid or long term (folley) catheterization, and who might be sensitive to them or otherwise in pain down there.

I've found most every urologist is more than happy to prescribe batracin (an antibiotic ointment), or lidocane gel. Please be aware that the gel has a nearly liquid consistancy, and is readily absorbed by your urethra. And within 30 minutes it will leave behind a very sticky residue. Obviously, this will certainly lead to pinching from our numerous and slight size changes (not even erections, which will be much worse). That pinching leads to rubbing, swelling, and of course more pain.

However, there IS a better option. Demand to get lidocane *ointment*. This is a much thicker, water based, jelly/ointment. It has a similar consistancy to petroleum jelly. Having a thicker base suspension, it will take at least a few hours to get absorbed by the body. The lidocane will be more slowly released too, meaning it will numb you for longer too.

I have no idea why urologists don't like prescribing this, but it IS much more effective. Failing the ointment, the bactracin is your next best alternative. Also having a thicker base, it will at least lubricate things down there for about as long (no sticky residue either, just dry). Unfortunately it won't do much for any already existing pain.

Either one, I always keep that tube in my pocket wherever I go. Constant re-application of even just a half-pea sized bit is a must, and when you get dried out down there you will know it it needs to be re-applied.

There have been studies that show that lidocaine gel is pretty much the same as other lubricants (non-anesthetic) on pain studies
There is a nice NIH study that confirms exactly what you saying, that the gel is pretty useless and cream helps a lot.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5411198/

I don't know how they ran those studies on lidocaine, but I have to wonder if they used a protocol that have the lidocaine enough time to again. It takes 20-30 minutes for lidocaine gel to realy numb the urethra, but many urologists squirt it in right before inserting a catheter, and out ends up doing nothing more than KY jelly would. They're do better to squirt it in the urethra and clamp the end of the penis to keep it in for 20 minutes or more, but free want to spend that time.

My urethral opening is still swollen and bleeding from the catheter that was in from Friday through Monday. I think my bladder would be less painful if I still had the catheter in, but without something effective to protect my urethra it was just too painful to keep using. I wish they'd given me some of the ointment, but I didn't know about it until after.

At least I have a reasonable amount of pain killers for the time being. I'm using as little as I possibly can to try to get them to last through the worst of the post-procedure bladder pain.

My urologist has brought up using a Foley catheter instead of diapers to manage my incontinence. If this level of bladder pain continues, I may try it, but with more attention to urethral care. That pain was worse than my bladder pain.

ltaluv said:
I don't know how they ran those studies on lidocaine, but I have to wonder if they used a protocol that have the lidocaine enough time to again. It takes 20-30 minutes for lidocaine gel to realy numb the urethra, but many urologists squirt it in right before inserting a catheter, and out ends up doing nothing more than KY jelly would. They're do better to squirt it in the urethra and clamp the end of the penis to keep it in for 20 minutes or more, but free want to spend that time.

My urethral opening is still swollen and bleeding from the catheter that was in from Friday through Monday. I think my bladder would be less painful if I still had the catheter in, but without something effective to protect my urethra it was just too painful to keep using. I wish they'd given me some of the ointment, but I didn't know about it until after.

At least I have a reasonable amount of pain killers for the time being. I'm using as little as I possibly can to try to get them to last through the worst of the post-procedure bladder pain.

My urologist has brought up using a Foley catheter instead of diapers to manage my incontinence. If this level of bladder pain continues, I may try it, but with more attention to urethral care. That pain was worse than my bladder pain.

I once had a urologist that wouldn't help me with anything- except his recommendation of permant folley catheterization (changed out by myself every week). I didn't have the ointment then either, but made it seven months before my urethra became permanently sensitive to catheters.

I firmly believe that long term folly use is BAD. Based on your own pain, I highly recommend you try an alternative course, as it isn't going to get any better. If like me, and catheters do give you the desired result, you may want to push him for a sphincterotomy or two. Though don't let him follow the same mistake I went through though. NO linear cuts, go with radial- and go deep with a green laser just once to get it done and over with in one shot.

And ps, I used those folley catheters in conjunction with letting them drain into my diaper for that full seven months. Never had a priblem. Diapers alone are way way way better though.

Good call on the lidocaine ointment! I picked up the prescription this morning, and had it this afternoon. Much better than lidocaine jelly or Vaseline.

ltaluv said:
Good call on the lidocaine ointment! I picked up the prescription this morning, and had it this afternoon. Much better than lidocaine jelly or Vaseline.

I know, right! The difference is so clearly amazing, it's a real wonder urologists haven't figured it out yet (and even resist it to a degree).

My urologist was completely unfamiliar with it. She offered me a time of the gel I've been using, thinking that's what I meant, then had to go look it up. I'll show it to her at my next appointment - maybe it'll save some other patient some discomfort!

When it comes to catheters, foley and intermittent, my urologist downsized to deal with the pain and irritation. HUGE difference. Yes, I have to wear a pad or diaper because of stress leakage around the catheter, but I can go for long periods of time without any issues.

When my doctor placed this Foley, I was surprised that she didn't use the 18Fr that I usually get. This one is 16 Fr, and it's pretty comfortable. I lubricate the urethral opening a few times a day, and otherwise I hardly notice it in my urethra. The biggest problem I have with it is that it gets tugged easily - last night I had the overnight bag attached and caught the tubing from that on a doorknob as I walked by. Ouch!

For intermittent catheters, I recently switched from 18 Fr to 14 Fr. I like the larger ones for the increased rigidity that makes them easier to push into place, but as I've gotten better at it (8 times a day, on average, for the past two years, so lots of practice) I've found the 14 Fr ones easy enough to put in, and they don't irritate my urethra quite as much.

I've had a little bit of leakage around my Foley, but not enough that I've needed a diaper. I wear diapers when I'm using intermittent catheters, but that's because of urge incontinence, not because of my bladder emptying issues. It's ironic that I can take off a just-wet diaper and I still have to put in a catheter to drain the rest of the urine in my bladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back