Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Paraphilia Research Study

  1. #1

    Default Paraphilia Research Study

    Sexual Paraphilias as an Alternative Route to Emotional Intimacy

    I am a student at Alliant International University conducting research on how one’s approach to intimacy relates to interest in different types of sexual paraphilias.

    Are you 18 years of age or older? Do you read English fluently?

    If you answer yes to these questions above please could you spare around 10 minutes of your time to complete the following online questionnaire? Your participation and responses to this questionnaire will be kept confidential and anonymous. Only the researcher will have access to your responses to the questionnaire and you will not be identifiable in any reports based on the results, de-identified responses and aggregate results.

    The results of this research will be written up in a doctoral dissertation and may be submitted for potential publication in relevant journals.

    If you would like to participate please click the link below:
    https://alliant.qualtrics.com/jfe/fo...sal6cluIEOWDjf

    Should you have any questions about this research please contact the researcher:
    Eric Jones, M.A.
    Alliant International University
    [email protected]

    Thank you for your time

    This post was approved by Moo.

  2. #2

    Default

    I argue against your very first paragraph. And the very definition to begin with too.

    For a very high number of us, being abdl simply is NOT based on any kind of sexuality. In this regard, abdl is NOT a paraphilia.

    Being a diaper lover means loving to wear diapers. Loving a person doesn't make that relationship is based on sexuality, and neither does it apply with loving diapers. What we have is more appropriately classified as a compulsion, or even simply just a part of who we are.

    It's also worth noting that not even a few decades ago, being abdl was called a sexual deviation. We can all pretty well agree this classification was completely wrong, greatly in part because we were misunderstood. And I do believe we can also agree there is much more to be learned before we will be better understood. And better classified.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    I argue against your very first paragraph. And the very definition to begin with too.

    For a very high number of us, being abdl simply is NOT based on any kind of sexuality. In this regard, abdl is NOT a paraphilia.
    I think it's fair to describe the interests of some people here as a "sexual paraphilia". It might not apply to you, but I wonder whether that's mostly because ABDL stuff doesn't really fit neatly into any of the current categories. There isn't really an accurate word or phrase that encompasses all of the complex overlapping subsets of ABDL other than... ABDL. :-/

    I think it's quite reasonable for someone who may not be an expert to use the word "paraphilia" in an attempt to describe us (or some of us). We argue amongst ourselves enough about what "AB" or "DL" really mean that a non-ABDL trying to conduct research is going to struggle to find the right term that everyone will be comfortable with.

    Actions and intentions are more important than words.

    I, for one, welcome any academic research that might help to understand human nature better.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    I do believe we can also agree there is much more to be learned before we will be better understood. And better classified.
    Classified?! Oh, hell no! I don't want to be restricted by a classification!

    Are you talking about the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders? That's just a taxonomy of conditions for the purposes of American medical insurance. Much of it is arbitrarily plucked out of thin air, or voted on by people with vested interests in medicalising an otherwise benign condition. It shouldn't be used to classify or categorise anyone, other than by American insurance companies.

  4. #4

    Default

    I fully understand that the nature of the study glosses over a fair amount of nuance, a quantitative study of this nature is never going to be able to be particularly nuanced. I do want to clarify that the study does allow for a distinction between AB/DL interest in a sexual context and not. I'd argue that that AB/DL in a sexual context is paraphilic, just as so many things the study examines can have sexual and non-sexual connotations. I will concede that "paraphilia" is a very problematic term and the thrust of the study, as Tiny noted, is to attempt to build understanding to help reduce stigmatization. In this instance however it was simply the best clinically appropriate term I could find to encompass the various flavors of sexual interests other than "vanilla".

  5. #5

    Default

    Hello

    I did your survey.

    The answers rubric is standard.

    I feel that a section for explanations would be nice.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Inquiry View Post
    I fully understand that the nature of the study glosses over a fair amount of nuance, a quantitative study of this nature is never going to be able to be particularly nuanced. I do want to clarify that the study does allow for a distinction between AB/DL interest in a sexual context and not. I'd argue that that AB/DL in a sexual context is paraphilic, just as so many things the study examines can have sexual and non-sexual connotations. I will concede that "paraphilia" is a very problematic term and the thrust of the study, as Tiny noted, is to attempt to build understanding to help reduce stigmatization. In this instance however it was simply the best clinically appropriate term I could find to encompass the various flavors of sexual interests other than "vanilla".
    Here's what I'm hearing Inquiry say. Inquiry, tell me if I'm right or wrong.

    "You gotta work with what language there is, and, while I know it hurts, it is what it is."

    It's always been my understanding that sexuals are classified as fetishists, because their sex is strange, and non-sexuals are classified as fetishists because our love, i.e. giving and receiving, is strange, and, even though it hurts, you can like it, love it, live with it, or lump it, but, love and sex aren't always that far apart. The title of the study alone, is enough to tell me that someone, somewhere, gets that it's a, "love language," thing, that isn't always sexual, because it says, "as an alternative route to emotional intimacy," not sexual intimacy.

    Look, Slomo, I know. I'm not sexual with it either, but I don't go trying to stamp out the idea it can be. Shouting down every opinion different from your own, and coming up with terms no one has ever heard of, like SD (sexual diapers) ceases to be ASD at some point, and starts to be confirmation bias and rudeness.
    Last edited by SpAzpieSweeTot; 3 Weeks Ago at 22:50.

  7. #7

    Default

    Yes, that's a pretty good summary of my point. I think beyond that, I'm not saying that AB/DL is inherently sexual, but since there are those who engage in a sexual context, then in that case it can meet criteria for a paraphilia. As to the second point, the overlap between sexual and emotional intimacy is part of what I'm trying to explore with the study.

  8. #8

    Default

    I for one am happy to participate. I would also love to read your study when it's complete; keep us posted yeah?

  9. #9

    Default

    I certainly will once it's all finished. In the mean time, any ideas or help getting more people on board are greatly appreciated!

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I think it's fair to describe the interests of some people here as a "sexual paraphilia". It might not apply to you, but I wonder whether that's mostly because ABDL stuff doesn't really fit neatly into any of the current categories. There isn't really an accurate word or phrase that encompasses all of the complex overlapping subsets of ABDL other than... ABDL. :-/

    I think it's quite reasonable for someone who may not be an expert to use the word "paraphilia" in an attempt to describe us (or some of us). We argue amongst ourselves enough about what "AB" or "DL" really mean that a non-ABDL trying to conduct research is going to struggle to find the right term that everyone will be comfortable with.

    Actions and intentions are more important than words.

    I, for one, welcome any academic research that might help to understand human nature better.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Classified?! Oh, hell no! I don't want to be restricted by a classification!

    Are you talking about the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders? That's just a taxonomy of conditions for the purposes of American medical insurance. Much of it is arbitrarily plucked out of thin air, or voted on by people with vested interests in medicalising an otherwise benign condition. It shouldn't be used to classify or categorise anyone, other than by American insurance companies.
    I mean a classification that better encompases us all than paraphilia. Yes it certainly applies to some of us, but not even half. Probably much less. And that classification restricts our being understood too much as it is. That's why we need something better- less restricting, and more all encompasing. What that would be, I don't know though.

Similar Threads

  1. Market Research Study in WI
    By bethgirl in forum Incontinence
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2 Weeks Ago, 07:10
  2. How about a study?
    By bashfuldlguy in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 24-Jan-2014, 08:12
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-May-2013, 00:31
  4. Diaper/Regression fetish (paraphilia or not)
    By Tyger in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-May-2012, 09:14
  5. *B/DL Behavior - Distinct Paraphilia, or Not?
    By h3g3l in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-Apr-2009, 00:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.