Not open for further replies.

KimbaFoxNatsume

Pokemon Trainer in, err, Training... Pants
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Is it just me, or has sippy-cup use among young babies been on the rise over maybe the last decade or so?

I mean, I've seen sippy cups marketed for infants as young as four months. Granted, some of them are rather similar to bottles with soft spouts, and I don't know how many people ditch bottles and use sippies exclusively, but it now seems relatively common to give them to babies less than a year old.

If I recall correctly, my mother said I was on the bottle until I was two, which I suppose is a little old by today's standards - I read somewhere that's it recommended to wean your child at 12-18 months. I've only seen one picture where it looks like I have a sippy cup, also around two years old.

I suppose I've viewed sippy cups as something more relevant with the two-to-four set, and giving them to months-old babies is just... kind of weird to me. They're just little babies and babies should have bottles! It's like rushing them to grow up or something...

The American Dental Association has declared bottles to be a grave danger to babies teeth, and need to be stopped as soon as the first tooth appears, they why the rush it now, it is the ADA fear mongering, your babies teeth will all fall out if you don't take them off the bottle as soon as the first tooth starts to appear.

see
http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Publications/Files/ADA_PatientSmart_BBTD.ashx

official recommendation is off the bottle by the first birthday

We have a 2 1/2 yo nephew who refuses a sippy cup at our house. Only the bottle, yet will use sippy cups elsewhere. When you have a baby, you learn to be on baby time and to do whatever you can to calm them down for a nap, even if it bends the rules a little.

One son, four nieces, three nephews and a slew of great nephews and nieces all were on the bottle past one. There have been dental issues but I think genetics plays a big role in their problems.

My kids were off the bottle by two, I still prefer the bottle.

babyboy said:
The American Dental Association has declared bottles to be a grave danger to babies teeth, and need to be stopped as soon as the first tooth appears, they why the rush it now, it is the ADA fear mongering, your babies teeth will all fall out if you don't take them off the bottle as soon as the first tooth starts to appear.

see
http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Publications/Files/ADA_PatientSmart_BBTD.ashx

official recommendation is off the bottle by the first birthday

Yep, before the first tooth. It's not just a Rugrats episode. Nursing doesn't have this problem, because the human nipple gives. There's even evidence that nursing increases IQ. That's why many parents nurse until 18 months or later.

Hey I am approaching fifty , I have regular cups and such for friends but for me it's always an adult sippy cup , makes less of a mess if I drop it ( if it was an Olympic sport I would have more gold than Michael phelps) when you have physical difficulties you use adaptions that make your life simpler, so yes it's not uncommon for me to use devices invented for the young .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I can't remember when I was taken off the bottle as a baby (I guess after 2 years). However I do know I never got breastfed because my mom wasn't around until I turned 18. The reason half of my baby teeth fell out before age 8 is because I always forget to brush, I don't think that the bottle has anything to do with that. I still forget to brush, so the cavity creeps are literally drilling holes into my teeth, not my current bottles or pacifiers.

I see a lot of infants at the place I work and most of them I see are from 9-months to 2 years, and most of them are given a bottle. Only once have I seen a 20-month old use a sippy cup. I also have a friend with a 4-year-old grandson, he was taken off the bottle at 17-months, and been given juice boxes at age 3 1/2. Guess it really comes down to what the parents think of their child's safety.

Bottles, juice boxes it's all acid staying on your teeth and in your mouth for prolonged time ,you should avoid anything but milk and water in bottles when kids lay down , for the longest life of your teeth brush them immediately after anything acidic.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly my mom said my half-brother fell and chipped his front teeth when he was little, revealing decay. The doctor said it was from being put to bed with a bottle, so she didn't do that when I came along. Nowadays however, I do occasionally take a bottle to bed, but not too often because I know how bad it is.

When I was in my teens I used to get up during the night and drink milk, don't do that anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back