does bedwetting run in your family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggreggy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
i have heard bedwetting runs in families, and then others say no it doesnt. in my case i would say it does. i have an uncle who wet. my cousin who i grew up with and i both wet. and he has 2nd cousins and their kids who wet. clearly something genetic is going on there. what about you and your family?

I did. But I don't know about anyone else in my family.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

ggreggy said:
i have heard bedwetting runs in families, and then others say no it doesnt. in my case i would say it does. i have an uncle who wet. my cousin who i grew up with and i both wet. and he has 2nd cousins and their kids who wet. clearly something genetic is going on there. what about you and your family?
Yep bedwetting definitely runs in my family from my dad to my grandpa on my mom side and many cousin's bedwet

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ggreggy said:
i have heard bedwetting runs in families, and then others say no it doesnt

Genetics runs in families, and genetics can be a source of bedwetting. Other things can be too, so it really comes down to the cause as to whether or not it's genetic. Injury, illness, birth defect, past experiences, stress, environment, there are so many other factors that can contribute.

My brother and I both wet the bed or I should say we wet our diapers.

As far as I know, no one in my family had a bed-wetting problem. Then again, it's probably not something any one would talk about so I can't be sure.

I do know that my sister never had a problem and my parents (while I lived with them) did not have any problems.

It does to an extent for my family. My uncle wet but my mom didn't. I didn't wet but my brother had an awful time potty training, being diapered until he was 4. My cousin (uncle's son) wets the bed and is 9

My nephew used to wet. Other than him and myself, I'm not sure about anybody else. He stopped when he was 9 and I kept wetting until I was 17, but I started again when was 23-24 and haven't stopped again since.

I heard my first-cousin-once-removed was wetting the bed in her teens. I remember her mom saying she'd wet the bed one night when she about nine (and blamed it on laziness). Don't know if she still has a problem with that or not.

Other then hearing another cousin wet the bed because of a urinary-tract infection, I'm not aware of any other issues with it in my family. I was never a bedwetter.

Oh, now that I think about it, my aunt has issues with peeing herself.

Last edited:
I'm permanently incontinent and I know nobody that was incontinent in my family, though I don't have much contact with my family so there is a possibility, that there were some relatives, that I just simply didn't meet somebody that was - for example someone that have already died like 30 years - my great grandfather for or great grandmother for example. Seriously, I feel like I need to do some bigger research into it. There is also a slight possibility, that my mother cheated on my father and she never told him, hah. I don't like this idea, out of all the respect that I have for my mother I shouldn't be even thinking of things like this.

My father had two brothers. All three of them were bedwetters as children, and one of my dad’s brothers wet his bed throughout his whole life. According to my grandmother, his bedwetting was one reason why my uncle did not get married. He continued living with his mother until she passed away when he was about 70 years old. A couple of years after my grandmother’s death, he married a woman that he had known since his high school days. I don’t know for sure, but I suspect that the woman he married also had an incontinence problem.

I also have a son who was a bedwetter into his teenage years. So yes, bedwetting runs in my family.

I was a bedwetter I have an uncle on y moms side that wet the bed and I am pretty sure but not a 100% certain that my dad wet the bed.
So I would that genetics play a major role in bedwetting not the main cause mind you, but genetics does take part in the issue of bedwetting.

Never heard of anyone in my family having long term bed wetting issues. But I would not think it odd that my siblings had precise issues wetting their pajamas at night like I did when I was 5 & 8 & 12 & etc. Maybe they had overcame their issues by the time they were 8 and older.

Like me my Mother was a late bedwetter and I had a great uncle who wet his bed all his life I remember my Grandmother telling me this when I was in my teens an that I shouldn't worry about my bedweting. That said by this time she was well and truly incontinent so I guess her view on bedwetting might have been a little clouded.

I think that in many cases it is hereditary. I know that it was common on my fathers side of the family and more common among boys than girls including in my own family.

2 sisters and i were all bedwetters, but they being older than me got through it first. vaguely remember hearing my mum say my uncle was aswell.

Incontinence and Bedwetting. Me, my youngster sister are incontinent--I'm a heavier wetter. My third older sister started bedwetting.

Yup. 3 of my cousins wet the bed I was the only boy :sweatdrop:

thanks everyone who responded. pretty much this very unscientific survey shows bedwetting runs in families. and from talking to someone who is the only bedwetter in his family, we should be happy it does. being the only one, he says, is really bad. if there are others the family seems to understand or at least tolerate it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back