There are therapists who understand adult babies/littles

Status
Not open for further replies.
icklespace said:
were they good at talking about stress because most of my stress lead back to my little side?

Hi Icklespace,

Yes. I am not a therapist, so what follows is my opinion. My opinion is that a good therapist will listen to you non-judgementally, act as a sounding board, and then give you tools to help you with your struggles. If you choose to use the tools, it can be a very positive experience.

Did my therapist help me with stress? Absolutely, but it took work on my part and the willingness to hear things I didn't always want to hear and to do my homework for them.

I hope that helps and I wish you less stress in the future.

TabulaRasa2017 said:
My opinion is that a good therapist will listen to you non-judgementally, act as a sounding board, and then give you tools to help you with your struggles.

I totally agree.

The therapist I saw was always very coy about what he knew about anything, preferring me to tell him how it was, rather than presume he knew. I'm fairly sure he wasn't ABDL-aware, but he wasn't fazed by it at all and seemed to think that it was a perfectly understandable method of self-soothing that I'd discovered.

The whole ABDL thing isn't why I was seeing a therapist, and I wasn't sure whether to mention it, but I'm glad that I did. It was reassuring to feel like I could tell him anything and he'd be fine and supportive about it.

tiny said:
I totally agree.

The therapist I saw was always very coy about what he knew about anything, preferring me to tell him how it was, rather than presume he knew. I'm fairly sure he wasn't ABDL-aware, but he wasn't fazed by it at all and seemed to think that it was a perfectly understandable method of self-soothing that I'd discovered.

The whole ABDL thing isn't why I was seeing a therapist, and I wasn't sure whether to mention it, but I'm glad that I did. It was reassuring to feel like I could tell him anything and he'd be fine and supportive about it.

Hi tiny,

I don't know about you, but finding the right therapist was key for me. If I hadn't, I don't know if I'd be on this discussion board right now and I doubt I'd be as comfortable embracing this part of myself. Thanks for posting.

TabulaRasa2017 said:
I'm posting this in the hopes that it might be helpful to others struggling with this part of who they are. Briefly, shame is probably one of the most universal feelings associated with recognizing that you are an adult baby/little. I know it has been for me for a very long time and until the past few years or so, it was my constant companion.

I've struggled with this part of myself a lot. I kept telling myself this aspect of my life (which for me is tied in with my sexuality) was broken and that I could fix this part of myself. I told my girlfriend and future wife (now ex) that I could change this part of myself. And for a long while I believed it. But time and time again I was drawn back to this part of me - it was a need I could never completely deny. And when I would act out my fantasies in private, I would immediately afterwards feel shame and despise myself. I kept failing at not acting out AB/little fantasies.

When my marriage was failing, I sought out therapy thinking I would fix me so I could fix us. I had previously gone to therapy for depression and had tried to open up about this topic to two different therapists and either received a reaction of confusion/disgust or morbid curiosity. But this time, I forced myself to be brave enough to see a sex therapist who understands kinks and fetishes. If I had any singular piece of advice to pass along it is this: if you do see a therapist, please seek out one you know understands ABDL. Seeing that particular therapist made a huge world of difference because he told me something I'd never heard before: I was okay, and it was okay to have these needs.

Please don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying you should go to a therapist at all. But that if you feel it would help you, like it did me, there are therapists that understand us. I didn't think that was possible, but it is. For me, having a neutral party to talk through this with and (some pun intended) take baby steps towards a more healthy understanding of this in myself was huge. It gave me the courage to embrace who I am, fully, and to move forward with confidence.

One last bit - for me, one of the healthiest things I've done is let go of trying to figure out the origins of this in me. I mistakenly believed that if I could just figure out why I am the way I am, it would "cure" me. But I realized even if I did know precisely what the origins of this were, I would still have the same needs. That has been a very helpful perspective for me.

Well, I'm a newbie here and I certainly don't know everything, but I hope this post is useful to someone. I wish I had known this long ago.

Be well.

Such an amazing read.

For me just being on this site is the first time i've started to open up about the DL side, and igns of starting to accept it more personally . It started to feel a loney place and spending so long hiding it from people close by.

Just talking to others in the same position can is more comfort than a therapist, slightly cheaper as well :D

Agreed, a very good read, confirming the person I have found in order to deal with my past issues. He didn't specialize, however he saw it as a part of me that resulted from my past and that it was a part of me and that would never change.

Before this one Therapist, I have never received acceptance for who I am as a person, both as a person with High-Functioning Autism (Aspergers) and as a AB/Little/Babyfur. My parents were disgusted and thought it was sexual driven despite my explanations to the contrary.... They are disgusted about this, but they respect my privacy enough for me to perform it in only two rooms in the house (granted of course that they aren't nosy enough to look at my purchase history - which they are -_-). As a person with High-Functioning Autism (Aspergers) I have been on the receiving end of discrimination and related attacks on my rights as a citizen of the United States.

My schooling was based on survival of the fittest and as such I had to adapt by moving away from my childhood, before I was ready, in order to develop my mind and mannerisms faster than expected for a person of my age. I did this to latch onto the teachers so that they would be my protectors as I knew that I wasn't strong enough, however I miscalculated how valuable the teachers were. As such, I took the brunt of the dark side of school and of the grey area in special education; all the while being medicated for my condition and punished harshly whenever I made the slightest mistake by the administration of every school I went through.

Although I did not notice it, my little side was fighting back by taking control of me at times most inopportune. I took advantage of a lot of people and plotted while as a little to steal the items that would restore myself back to the way I was before. I knew that if I was still going to be bullied, I needed to reintegrate my other self back into myself as one mind. However, I figured out that they were polar opposites of each other and the pieces of my mind didn't fit together. So my other-self was still stealing items in the most opportunistic and low profile ways to avoid detection. I became a well-versed liar to fool my parents at least when I was trying to hide the items that I had in my room... I locked up as much as I could from my secret life that was forbidden. Over time my other-self grew a consciousness, however still acted on impulses. By late high school I was found out and about to be publicly humiliated by my special-ed teacher. I was blackmailed by my parents and the teacher to pay her back for all that I stole...

After that year I was forced by my parents to purge for two years that which I held most dear for a stable sanity; or at least a buffer against further corruption. I became depressed and I nearly ended my life at the end of sophomore year in college. After visiting with my current therapist and joining this circle, I felt like I had been awoken from a horrible nightmare, I felt accepted by so many people because either they were so themselves or my therapist saw it as a part of me. I began focusing on healing and to that end I have restarted my little space that was on life-support. Despite this restart, I felt something wrong in that it didn't give me as much fulfillment as I had left it. That was primarily because I had no free reign of the house and all my experiences were forced to be contained in either my bedroom, dorm room or the bathrooms in both locations. I also had to pay a debt of two years of experiences to my little self in order to get back to full strength. I could wear incognito, but that would still be somewhat noticeable by my ever so vigilant parental overlords. I have been improving the quality of the experience in order to regain some of what was lost when I lost a house to play in and was forced to live (as a little) in two rooms instead of many. I long for an experience that trumps high school, but am too scared to come out and plus my adult responsibilities make it nearly impossible to go to conventions. Until my submissive, yet resistant relationship with my parents ends I will not be able to enjoy the same degree of freedom and fulfillment that my original little space provided. I will require until that ends, a stable therapist and a lot of hard work both as an adult and as a little in order to keep myself from destabilizing and degenerating into a depressive episode. I am willing to use all necessary force and all resources and sacrifice everything to that end in order to keep me stable. Will it be enough? I pray and hope it will be for my sake as I cannot afford to be depressed at this juncture of my life. I also hope that I can be successful in life as success is key to my happiness.

ComfyNappies171 said:
Such an amazing read.

For me just being on this site is the first time i've started to open up about the DL side, and igns of starting to accept it more personally . It started to feel a loney place and spending so long hiding it from people close by.

Just talking to others in the same position can is more comfort than a therapist, slightly cheaper as well :D

Hi ComfyNappies,

I'm new to being open about being an adult baby/little myself. I'm glad to see my post has touched so many people. I've felt this way most of my life, but I'm a newbie to embracing it. I found that once I started to accept this as a part of who I am I was able to be the most genuine form of myself.

There are a lot more of us out there than I think any of us realize.

Be well.

- - - Updated - - -

AustinTheLionhearted said:
Agreed, a very good read, confirming the person I have found in order to deal with my past issues. He didn't specialize, however he saw it as a part of me that resulted from my past and that it was a part of me and that would never change.

Before this one Therapist, I have never received acceptance for who I am as a person, both as a person with High-Functioning Autism (Aspergers) and as a AB/Little/Babyfur. My parents were disgusted and thought it was sexual driven despite my explanations to the contrary.... They are disgusted about this, but they respect my privacy enough for me to perform it in only two rooms in the house (granted of course that they aren't nosy enough to look at my purchase history - which they are -_-). As a person with High-Functioning Autism (Aspergers) I have been on the receiving end of discrimination and related attacks on my rights as a citizen of the United States.

My schooling was based on survival of the fittest and as such I had to adapt by moving away from my childhood, before I was ready, in order to develop my mind and mannerisms faster than expected for a person of my age. I did this to latch onto the teachers so that they would be my protectors as I knew that I wasn't strong enough, however I miscalculated how valuable the teachers were. As such, I took the brunt of the dark side of school and of the grey area in special education; all the while being medicated for my condition and punished harshly whenever I made the slightest mistake by the administration of every school I went through.

Although I did not notice it, my little side was fighting back by taking control of me at times most inopportune. I took advantage of a lot of people and plotted while as a little to steal the items that would restore myself back to the way I was before. I knew that if I was still going to be bullied, I needed to reintegrate my other self back into myself as one mind. However, I figured out that they were polar opposites of each other and the pieces of my mind didn't fit together. So my other-self was still stealing items in the most opportunistic and low profile ways to avoid detection. I became a well-versed liar to fool my parents at least when I was trying to hide the items that I had in my room... I locked up as much as I could from my secret life that was forbidden. Over time my other-self grew a consciousness, however still acted on impulses. By late high school I was found out and about to be publicly humiliated by my special-ed teacher. I was blackmailed by my parents and the teacher to pay her back for all that I stole...

After that year I was forced by my parents to purge for two years that which I held most dear for a stable sanity; or at least a buffer against further corruption. I became depressed and I nearly ended my life at the end of sophomore year in college. After visiting with my current therapist and joining this circle, I felt like I had been awoken from a horrible nightmare, I felt accepted by so many people because either they were so themselves or my therapist saw it as a part of me. I began focusing on healing and to that end I have restarted my little space that was on life-support. Despite this restart, I felt something wrong in that it didn't give me as much fulfillment as I had left it. That was primarily because I had no free reign of the house and all my experiences were forced to be contained in either my bedroom, dorm room or the bathrooms in both locations. I also had to pay a debt of two years of experiences to my little self in order to get back to full strength. I could wear incognito, but that would still be somewhat noticeable by my ever so vigilant parental overlords. I have been improving the quality of the experience in order to regain some of what was lost when I lost a house to play in and was forced to live (as a little) in two rooms instead of many. I long for an experience that trumps high school, but am too scared to come out and plus my adult responsibilities make it nearly impossible to go to conventions. Until my submissive, yet resistant relationship with my parents ends I will not be able to enjoy the same degree of freedom and fulfillment that my original little space provided. I will require until that ends, a stable therapist and a lot of hard work both as an adult and as a little in order to keep myself from destabilizing and degenerating into a depressive episode. I am willing to use all necessary force and all resources and sacrifice everything to that end in order to keep me stable. Will it be enough? I pray and hope it will be for my sake as I cannot afford to be depressed at this juncture of my life. I also hope that I can be successful in life as success is key to my happiness.

Hi Austin,

Wow, thank you for sharing all of that. I have absolutely no idea what it must be like to be someone with high-functioning autism. What I can say is for me, I have found that embracing this part of myself and accepting it has been extraordinarily freeing. Sometimes I think we AB/little folks tend to dwell on this part of ourselves instead of looking at it in context of the larger, richer tapestry of our lives. For me, I am more than just an AB/little - it is part of who I am, but not the entirety. I think true happiness comes when we integrate this part of ourselves into a broader picture of who we are.

Be well.

I would be willing to discuss my ABDL side with a therapist, but not just any run-of-the-mill social worker who counsels unfulfilled housewives all day (not that their problems aren’t valid). I would be open to hearing a professional analysis from someone who specializes in or at least is well-studied in fetishes or regression, if not ABDL per se. I am deeply curious about the root cause(s) of my desires, and about the most healthy to integrate them into an otherwise balanced lifestyle. I would totally be willing to participate in an anonymous study of ABDLs if the opportunity ever presented itself.

That said, I have never shared my ABDL desires with any of my regular therapists. Every therapist I have seen to date has been a “generalist” who has a knack for empathy and understanding, but none have been experts in any particular field, let alone age play, regression, or paraphilia. I imagine my current therapist would be confused and unfamiliar with ABDL, though I’m sure she would try to be understanding and professional. However, if there was a researcher or PhD in psych whose expertise was in the ballpark, I would see them anonymously to share my experiences. Even if they weren’t able to help me personally, I believe we all should do our part to increase understanding and awareness of ABDL, if for no other reason than to make life easier for future ABDLs.

SimCo said:
I would be willing to discuss my ABDL side with a therapist, but not just any run-of-the-mill social worker who counsels unfulfilled housewives all day (not that their problems aren’t valid). I would be open to hearing a professional analysis from someone who specializes in or at least is well-studied in fetishes or regression, if not ABDL per se. I am deeply curious about the root cause(s) of my desires, and about the most healthy to integrate them into an otherwise balanced lifestyle. I would totally be willing to participate in an anonymous study of ABDLs if the opportunity ever presented itself.

That said, I have never shared my ABDL desires with any of my regular therapists. Every therapist I have seen to date has been a “generalist” who has a knack for empathy and understanding, but none have been experts in any particular field, let alone age play, regression, or paraphilia. I imagine my current therapist would be confused and unfamiliar with ABDL, though I’m sure she would try to be understanding and professional. However, if there was a researcher or PhD in psych whose expertise was in the ballpark, I would see them anonymously to share my experiences. Even if they weren’t able to help me personally, I believe we all should do our part to increase understanding and awareness of ABDL, if for no other reason than to make life easier for future ABDLs.

Hi SimcCo,

Agreed - as I've said, I discovered there are therapists who get this. My therapist is in no way an ABDL themselves, but they do specialize in kink and fetish, and the idea is that whatever you may be feeling or dealing with is not necessarily a direct result of your kink or fetish. Now for me, I needed to come to terms with this part of myself, and that's why I went, but they were not coming into this thinking that ABDL is the cause of some problem in my life.

There are relatively few PhD level studies of ABDL. We are still a relatively misunderstood bunch because, let's face it, this is a hard thing for most of us to admit to ourselves let alone to the world.

Be well.

TabulaRasa2017 said:
{...}figure out the origins of this in me. I mistakenly believed that if I could just figure out why I am the way I am, it would "cure" me. <of ABDLism>

This is, what my therapist believes, who I told today that I wear diapers to feel safe and secure; basically my anxiety antidote. She didnt freak out or anything, in fact she seemed quite understanding. But her last assumption, quoted above left me with mixed feelings.

Hi Ben,

I am by no means a therapist, so please make your own informed decisions. However, it sounds to me like your therapist is understanding of you, but thinks she can "cure" you of using diapers, correct? I once gave permission to my ex to discuss my ABDL with a mutual psychologist friend of ours. This psychologist told my ex that my ABDL was easy to explain - it was misplaced attraction. In other words, they believed something happened to me where I became attracted to diapers instead of female anatomy. A very antiquated view indeed and a complete misunderstanding of what ABDL is to me - it is more than a diaper, it is a very personal emotional and sexual feeling I would share with someone special. Does the diaper add to the sexual excitement and emotional attachment? Of course, but I'm not a diaper-sexual; I'm a heterosexual male on a spectrum of ABDL desires and needs and the person and their love for me is the most important, not the clothing.

I don't know how you relate to ABDL since we all experience this in different ways. But I wonder if your therapist might think that since you've told her diapers are a security issue for you, that if she can "crack the code," so to speak, she can get you to give up your diapers. But that may not be what you want. I'd recommend telling her more about how ABDL works in your life and your sexuality (if it does), which might give her more insight.

Remember, I'm not a therapist, and you should do what's in your best interest.

Be well.

TabulaRasa2017 said:
Hi Icklespace,

Yes. I am not a therapist, so what follows is my opinion. My opinion is that a good therapist will listen to you non-judgementally, act as a sounding board, and then give you tools to help you with your struggles. If you choose to use the tools, it can be a very positive experience.

Did my therapist help me with stress? Absolutely, but it took work on my part and the willingness to hear things I didn't always want to hear and to do my homework for them.

I hope that helps and I wish you less stress in the future.

do you thing a normal therapist would do??

icklespace said:

I know it wasn't directed at me, but I'd say yes, any well trained therapist should be able to help you. One that is ready abdl aware would be best, but that may not ways be possible for everyone.

More so, I'd recommend you find one that is somewhat younger. Under 30-35 if you can. As others have noted, there are antiquated views still being practiced. Theralist training has also come a long ways in a very short time too. Best to talk to someone a little more....current.

icklespace said:

Hi Icklespace,

I think it depends on the therapist. You just want to make sure that they have a healthy understanding of your ABDL and that they will not cause you more stress by trying to "cure" you or making you feel that you are bad in some way.

Again, I emphasize I'm not a therapist so this is only advice from someone else who's struggled with accepting his ABDL side. Always do what's right for you, and never mistake advice for therapy.

Be well.

- - - Updated - - -

Slomo said:
I know it wasn't directed at me, but I'd say yes, any well trained therapist should be able to help you. One that is ready abdl aware would be best, but that may not ways be possible for everyone.

More so, I'd recommend you find one that is somewhat younger. Under 30-35 if you can. As others have noted, there are antiquated views still being practiced. Theralist training has also come a long ways in a very short time too. Best to talk to someone a little more....current.

I agree with Slomo here too. The only thing I'd add is that there could be older therapists who, especially if this is their area of expertise, may be continuing their education and therefore could be up to date. You just want to avoid anyone who views your ABDL as a disease or problem.

Again, this is just advice ... I'm not a therapist.

Be well.

I saw a therapist who was against ABDL because it wasn't normal and it was taboo. He compared it to guns and drugs because some people carry a gun around to feel safe and some do drugs for stress relief.

Calico said:
I saw a therapist who was against ABDL because it wasn't normal and it was taboo. He compared it to guns and drugs because some people carry a gun around to feel safe and some do drugs for stress relief.

Apparently the idiot didn't stop to think guns and drugs can kill people while diapers can't. (Unless you like, tried to suffocate someone by holding a diaper over his/her face...)

kimbawolfnagihiko said:
apparently the idiot didn't stop to think guns and drugs can kill people while diapers can't. (unless you like, tried to suffocate someone by holding a diaper over his/her face...)

lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back