Prescription for flowmax to control incontinence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebabyboy12

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I went to the dr Monday and described my symptoms and I was giving a 30 day prescription for flowmax. I started taking it yesterday. I definitely noticed a lot fewer urges today. Although when the urge does come I was peeing very shortly there after. I’m still diapered so no big deal. I have a follow up appointment in 30 days. Anyone else been through a similar situation?

Ehorton said:
I went to the dr Monday and described my symptoms and I was giving a 30 day prescription for flowmax. I started taking it yesterday. I definitely noticed a lot fewer urges today. Although when the urge does come I was peeing very shortly there after. I’m still diapered so no big deal. I have a follow up appointment in 30 days. Anyone else been through a similar situation?

I've been on EVERY Incontinemce related med. Sadly, non worked.

Ehorton said:

I am on the generic version of Flomax.
The answer is "NO!", it has not made a dent in my incontinence, except to say that it keeps me peeing.

I tried taking my catheter out and using flomax. It makes my nose really stuffy and I can't tell if it helps or not. Im going back to a catheter and diaper.

Flomax is one of the drugs that my urologist recommended that I try. It slightly reduced the frequency of my incontinence episodes, but not enough to enable me to stop wearing a diaper 24/7. Flomax also worsened my chronic problem with congested sinuses. I figure that, unless drug improves my incontinence enough to enable me to go without a daytime diaper, I won’t take the drug.

Last edited:
Did not help at all

I tried it and when it made no difference in my overactive bladder issues I called my doctor and told her "I don't want to try anything else and to please prescribe diapers for me." The drugs really work well for about 30% of the population. I don't use my diapers daily they are more of an insurance policy than anything. I wear the ABU Preschool plastic diapers and pay with my FSA.

Meds work for a lot of people, but not for everyone. I've had mixed results with meds; some helped, some didn't, but none took care of all my symptoms. Them again, I've got a complicated medical situation, and my urologist thinks there are at least two different conditions contributing to my incontinence, so getting everything to behave at the same time is difficult.

Still, meds are worth trying.

ltaluv said:
Meds work for a lot of people, but not for everyone. I've had mixed results with meds; some helped, some didn't, but none took care of all my symptoms. Them again, I've got a complicated medical situation, and my urologist thinks there are at least two different conditions contributing to my incontinence, so getting everything to behave at the same time is difficult.

Still, meds are worth trying.

I wonder about that. I've heard maybe one or two cases where meds alone actually helped enough to nit need diapers. I've also heard hundreds of cases where they didn't work.

Indeed, but you don't hear much about the people for whom the meds work well. They happily carry on their lives without diapers, and aren't on forums asking questions or telling their stories. I don't know the rates of people who are and aren't helped from the clinical trials, but I do know that a significant number of people are in fact helped.

We are very much a self-selected, nonrepresentative group here, and it's the same thing on most forums.

It's a bit like hanging out at the auto body shop to see how many people get in car accidents. You'll quickly conclude that car accidents are extremely common, because your seeing only the people who have been in an accident and need their car fixed. In reality, the accident rate is much lower.

I think you and I agree, though, that many, if not most, doctors are too quick to hand out pills without really assessing the problem or the patient's needs. Many of us here are better served by diapers than by meds, but few of us have had doctors who really drilled down to that analysis before trying us on a bunch of prescription meds that didn't work and/or had bad side effects.

I take 0.4 of Tamulosin the generic of Flomax , i have mega complicated IC , but one thing that was easy was my enlarged prostate i have been on Flomax since it was patented, and it has done wonders at shrinking my prostate and it causes the bladder neck to relax so it will theoretically improve you stream also , since my streams are either in the diaper or via catheter I can't rightly say if it's good for my stream of not .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Tetra said:
I take 0.4 of Tamulosin the generic of Flomax , i have mega complicated IC , but one thing that was easy was my enlarged prostate i have been on Flomax since it was patented, and it has done wonders at shrinking my prostate and it causes the bladder neck to relax so it will theoretically improve you stream also , since my streams are either in the diaper or via catheter I can't rightly say if it's good for my stream of not .

Odd question. What type of side effects did/do you have? Feel free not to answer if you choose I understand. I’ve been on it for a week and have pretty constant back soreness and some other issues.

Ehorton said:
Odd question. What type of side effects did/do you have? Feel free not to answer if you choose I understand. I’ve been on it for a week and have pretty constant back soreness and some other issues.
Actually really no side effects that I can complain about , once in a while I get a little sinus congestion and yes a little bit of almost like a kidney pain not severe just enough to know its there once in awhile , my Urologist used to do DRE me every 6 months for about 8 years , he doesnt anymore he is happy with how much it has shrunk , and Medicare is behind the times they keep reminding me that it's a covered preventive benefit as I approach 50,just wait until they realize that we had our first date many years ago [emoji23]

I'm also on Flomax. Actually the generic Tamulosin. I've been on it now for about a year. I LOVE it. I didn't think I had a flow problem till I started using it. Within 12 hours I was peeing like a kid again. Wow! Forgot what that was like. I still experience urge and at times OAB though not nearly as much. It's weird as the OAB symptoms come and go. Normally I can go 3 hours without needing to go. But when its time to go, I REALLY need to go. It's not a problem if a bathroom is nearby, but if I'm going to be away from a restroom for any period of time I still wear diaper. With the Flomax, its not gonna be a dribble when I can't hold on....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back