Explain the difference between premium nappies and non-premium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbilly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I have heard people say Molicare are just a bog-standard medical incontinence nappies and there are better premium nappies out around. I find the Molicare Slip Maxi to be of high standard and they really meets my needs, they fit comfortable and rarely leak. They are my everyday nappy. What distinguishes between standard and premium nappies? Is it just capacity?

And to answer the question before, yeah people usually put the diapers with the most capacity as the best, better dry, m and l4s, dry 24/7 etc

I'd consider Molicare a premium diaper.

Premiums will usually have higher capacity, but that's not the only feature that dictates if or how much of a premium it is. There's also leak guards (if there are any and how tall/well they work), the tape system (how well it sticks and if it can be refastened without compromising their ability to hold), the texture/durability of the shell (and inner part of the diaper), whether there are waist elastics and if they're front and back, as well as the overall shape and how it stretches/conforms when worn. Some might also consider graphics or wetness indicators as a premium feature. And not only is there capacity to take into account, but also whicking ability and retention. A diaper could have a high capacity, but if it has a poor whicking and retention factor then the amount it can hold is a moot point.

Really, it's a factor of all the above and how they perform with each other that dictates whether it's a premium or not, imo at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When I think of "Premium" products, I think of things that...
- have more features
- perform better
- have better name recognition
- cost more
.. than the average product in their market

(usually some combination of the above)

While molicare don't have much of an edge in the "features" category, I'd say they meet the others. Some of this will of course depend on how far you are going to narrow down the "market". Just talking "diapers" is one thing, getting more specific with "ABDL diapers" is a very different story.

Molicare is good, for sure. So is Abena, abu, and the like. They are not premium though.

Like the others have said, premium diapers have options like taller leak quards, more padding (especially ar the sides of the front panels). They also lock away pee better, and have more generous cuts in their material. While they do cost more individually, they also last a lot longer too. This actually brings their total overall cost per day down to less than diapers like molicare or abena.

More simply put, premium diapers are good enough to not leak. Well at least not more than once every 100 diapers or so. Very, very, very few diapers can make this claim. So far, only confidry, northshore supreme, and betterdry make the cut for premium.

I have used many diapers, both premium and non-premium ones and truly, I stick to those non-premium. Usually those that are labelled as premium ones have better absorbancy, are more comfortable and they made of some special materials which you won't feel difference with and of course - the most important factor for many people struggling in life currently - they are expensive. Seriously, just compare the price between premium and non-premium - is it really worth it? For example if I had to rate diaper A in premium and non version to 10, I would give premium a 9 and non-premium an 8. Is this small difference, really worth paying twice for a set of diapers? I'm currently ordering non-premium ones from hexa & co and I'm extremely happy about it, plus I got money left to spend on other stuff.

The difference between a premium nappy and a non-premium one is roughly analogous to the difference between a short piece of string and a long one.

Generally speaking, non-premium diapers are made with cost in mind, while premium diapers have more expensive materials and features.

So, Tender, Boots, A+ and many smaller/own brands would be considered non-premium, while Tena Slip, Abena Abriform, and so on would be considered premium.

Then there are ABDL diapers, which tend to be based on premium diapers, but are often extra-absorbent and bulky, or have a babyish design printed on them.

Also keep in mind, there are different levels of premium and non-premium diapers (and the whole idea of "quality" can be quite subjective). As in, it's not always so clear cut to say ABC is premium while XYZ is not premium.

For instance, Depends 6 tab diapers, pretty much universally agreed upon as being non-premium. Then there are Tranquility ATNs, also agreed upon as being non-premium, but even then, these two diapers wouldn't be described as "essentially the same".

Then you have diapers like the Dry 24/7 and ABU Little Pawz. Both generally considered premiums, but once again are very different diapers.

But if you compared an ABU Little Pawz to a six tab Depends, there is a very clear difference in overall quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally divide them into the following categories:

- Regular diapers: baby diapers, drugstore brand diapers, some tenas. Basically diapers that are designed to handle a small dribble and not much more. Depends would be the highest end of this list.

- premium diapers: molicare, abena, higher end Tena, dry247, northshore, etc. Basically anything that can *realistically* hold more than half a liter.

- abdl diapers: Abu, Bambino, rearz, etc. Basically anything made specifically with abdls in mind. Tends to have capacity on par or higher than premium, but not the main criteria.

irnub said:
I generally divide them into the following categories:

- Regular diapers: baby diapers, drugstore brand diapers, some tenas. Basically diapers that are designed to handle a small dribble and not much more. Depends would be the highest end of this list.

- premium diapers: molicare, abena, higher end Tena, dry247, northshore, etc. Basically anything that can *realistically* hold more than half a liter.

- abdl diapers: Abu, Bambino, rearz, etc. Basically anything made specifically with abdls in mind. Tends to have capacity on par or higher than premium, but not the main criteria.

Yeah I was thinking about that and I'd probably add one more category because that seems to be where a lot of the confusion is

- regular IC (your "regular") - store brands
- premium IC (your "premium") - online brands like abena, molicare, xpmedical, northshore, etc
- regular ABDL - older bambino, saveexpress, rev1 cuddlz, original cushies/sdk, qtty, barebum
- premium ABDL - rearz, bellissimo/magnifico, newer ABU

I think we have one group seeing all ABDL diapers as "premiums" and another group that sees at least two grades of ABDL diapers, hence the confusion when someone says "premium"

It certainly is interesting to see the ABDL diaper manufacturers/retailers all adding "premium ABDL" grade models to their offerings. On the other hand though, there are definitely diapers out there now that are getting their performance out to and beyond any possible usability. I woke up this morning in what I was fully expecting to be a soaked rearz, but no, after ~6-7 wettings overnight I hadn't even touched the back 5" of padding. wow.

James202 said:
I have used many diapers, both premium and non-premium ones and truly, I stick to those non-premium. Usually those that are labelled as premium ones have better absorbancy, are more comfortable and they made of some special materials which you won't feel difference with and of course - the most important factor for many people struggling in life currently - they are expensive. Seriously, just compare the price between premium and non-premium - is it really worth it? For example if I had to rate diaper A in premium and non version to 10, I would give premium a 9 and non-premium an 8. Is this small difference, really worth paying twice for a set of diapers? I'm currently ordering non-premium ones from hexa & co and I'm extremely happy about it, plus I got money left to spend on other stuff.

Yes they are worth it. And when you compare their total cost per day to other "cheaper" diapers which need to be changed more often, they can actually cost less overall.

Slomo said:
Yes they are worth it. And when you compare their total cost per day to other "cheaper" diapers which need to be changed more often, they can actually cost less overall.

The trouble I have with them is not so much cost, but I have money to spend in part because I don't waste it. And so naturally I don't like to waste a premium diaper when I'm not going to get a premium amount of use out of it. Whether that means capacity for wetting, being able to wear for an extended period of time, being comfortable while I'm wearing, or not being otherwise inconvenienced.

I wear most of my premiums overnights, and I'm almost always wearing premiums overnights on the weekends because I drink more and sleep in more.

So I just see premiums during the day to be a bad idea for me, both in terms of value and in convenience. And that's why I have a good variety of diapers in my cabinet ;)

I want to see someone do a cartoon... two panels, one above the other:

Panel 1 is titled "My Girlfriend", shows a woman staring into her wardrobe mumbling to herself, "what to wear, what to wear..."

Panel 2 is titled "My ABDL Girlfriend", shows the same woman staring into her diaper cabinet, again mumbling "what to wear, what to wear..."

bambinod said:
...I want to see someone do a cartoon... two panels, one above the other:

Panel 1 is titled "My Girlfriend", shows a woman staring into her wardrobe mumbling to herself, "what to wear, what to wear..."

Panel 2 is titled "My ABDL Girlfriend", shows the same woman staring into her diaper cabinet, again mumbling "what to wear, what to wear..."

Would you mind commissioning that and posting it here please, I really want to see it too!

bambinod said:
The trouble I have with them is not so much cost, but I have money to spend in part because I don't waste it. And so naturally I don't like to waste a premium diaper when I'm not going to get a premium amount of use out of it. Whether that means capacity for wetting, being able to wear for an extended period of time, being comfortable while I'm wearing, or not being otherwise inconvenienced.

I wear most of my premiums overnights, and I'm almost always wearing premiums overnights on the weekends because I drink more and sleep in more.

So I just see premiums during the day to be a bad idea for me, both in terms of value and in convenience. And that's why I have a good variety of diapers in my cabinet ;)

I want to see someone do a cartoon... two panels, one above the other:

Oh, I always get my full use out of premium diapers. The only difference is I only wear the same diaper until one of two things get reached. Either 1, I've been in the same diaper for too long (10+ hours) and am smelling bad or at high risk for a rash. This means that diaper has reached it's maximum towards my health/well being. Or 2, the risk for leaks has become sufficiently high enough that they have reached their lowest level of reliability and can no longer be trusted for continued use. (I can't exactly "try" and hit their leak point at work every day by staying in a diaper just to try and squeeze a few more ounces into it).

Any higher or lower, and that diaper has outlived it's usefulness- regardless of how much it has absorbed. Plus, any diaper than can get me through an entire work day saves me on needless changes and time wasted. So for me at least, that is a premium amount of use which not even confidry can do (for me), let alone a lesser diaper like ABU, Fabines, etc that will leak hours sooner. Now that would be a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back