Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for fitting?

Default Advice for fitting?

So, I've been having to wear since around mid to late April this year, and for the love of me, I never seem to get briefs to fit properly.

Now, it could be dependent on size and brand, but I'm not sure. I've had large 24/7s, large ABU Paws, and I'm currently using large Tena Supreme Briefs. I've watched video after video on how to properly put these on, but they always seem to end up wearing like underwear.

Now, I'm a large guy, really wide hips, even when I had much less weight. I'm 240 lbs with probably a 44"-46" pant size, but I could be closer to 42", haven't checked. I think my main problem is fitting it over my stomach and keeping it there. Any advice for how to fit briefs just right?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

get a tape measure and measure the distance from small of your back through the legs and up to the belly button.
    Do it with pants on. You should buy diapers that are at least that long from end to end. you may have to email suppliers, because for reasons beyond my understanding, no one provides these measurements. Most of the diaper reviews here do, but they seem to be mostly if not exclusively mediums. I am thin and tall at 175, but still prefer larges.

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

Here's a sizing guide from one site. Note where it says different manufacturers have different sizing. Some sites like this one will send you free samples upon request. Call/email/chat with them!

Diapers are going to fit a bit large. Also many (most?) diaper manufacturers list their product size in relation to how wide your hips can get and still fit the top tapes, even though the bottom tapes are going to require 2-5" more distance on the average.

I've also seen numerous different suggestions for how to place the tapes. Bags of diapers often come with instructions on how to attach the tapes, but a lot of them show angling the upper tapes down and the lower tapes up. I find that always makes for a bad fit. In almost all cases I attach my top tapes angled straight in toward each other, and usually attach them 1/4" below where the tape panel ends on the top. I try to get them close enough to get a snug fit without being too tight, and consider the top tapes' job to be just like the belt in my pants, to hold my diaper up above the wider part of my hips. Getting a consistent fit between diaper changes can be tricky if the pattern on the shell isn't helping. (and any pattern on the tape panel is unreliable because those are often attached off-center) I often use a tailor's tape measure for a quick check.

I get the best fit with the lower tapes if I angle them down about 45 degrees. They're usually stuck down about halfway between the upper tape and the bottom of the tape panel, but this varies a bit. I also usually stick them down about 3/4" farther out than the upper tapes, because they're going around a slightly wider part of my hips. This keeps the fit comfortable but snug against leaks. Getting this right is more important for my nighttime diaper, which is more likely to leak if I'm not fitted right.

Since I'm obviously a little OCD with my diaper taping, I almost always pre-tape my diapers and them pull them up like a pullup. This insures I get a very consistent perfect fit every time. It also can help if I'm running late and in a hurry. Normally I open up a fresh diaper on my bed and sit on it to lay down some powder / zeesorb in the front. Then I get up and move the open diaper to the floor in front of my diaper cabinet and stand over it while applying powder to my back side. (works as a drop cloth, keeps powder off the floor) Then I pull on the diaper I pretaped the last change, tweak the fit so it's perfect. Lastly I pick up the new diaper off the floor and tape it up and put it in the cabinet for my next change. If I'm in a big hurry I can skip most of those steps and just toss on some powder and pull up and grab my pants, making for a 10 second diaper change.

For reference, the top tapes are about 8" apart on most of my diapers. I have about a 40" waist, and go with large size diapers.

Can you take picture. It would be helpful to visually learners

Quote Originally Posted by bambinod View Post
    Diapers are going to fit a bit large. Also many (most?) diaper manufacturers list their product size in relation to how wide your hips can get and still fit the top tapes, even though the bottom tapes are going to require 2-5" more distance on the average.

I've also seen numerous different suggestions for how to place the tapes. Bags of diapers often come with instructions on how to attach the tapes, but a lot of them show angling the upper tapes down and the lower tapes up. I find that always makes for a bad fit. In almost all cases I attach my top tapes angled straight in toward each other, and usually attach them 1/4" below where the tape panel ends on the top. I try to get them close enough to get a snug fit without being too tight, and consider the top tapes' job to be just like the belt in my pants, to hold my diaper up above the wider part of my hips. Getting a consistent fit between diaper changes can be tricky if the pattern on the shell isn't helping. (and any pattern on the tape panel is unreliable because those are often attached off-center) I often use a tailor's tape measure for a quick check.

I get the best fit with the lower tapes if I angle them down about 45 degrees. They're usually stuck down about halfway between the upper tape and the bottom of the tape panel, but this varies a bit. I also usually stick them down about 3/4" farther out than the upper tapes, because they're going around a slightly wider part of my hips. This keeps the fit comfortable but snug against leaks. Getting this right is more important for my nighttime diaper, which is more likely to leak if I'm not fitted right.

Since I'm obviously a little OCD with my diaper taping, I almost always pre-tape my diapers and them pull them up like a pullup. This insures I get a very consistent perfect fit every time. It also can help if I'm running late and in a hurry. Normally I open up a fresh diaper on my bed and sit on it to lay down some powder / zeesorb in the front. Then I get up and move the open diaper to the floor in front of my diaper cabinet and stand over it while applying powder to my back side. (works as a drop cloth, keeps powder off the floor) Then I pull on the diaper I pretaped the last change, tweak the fit so it's perfect. Lastly I pick up the new diaper off the floor and tape it up and put it in the cabinet for my next change. If I'm in a big hurry I can skip most of those steps and just toss on some powder and pull up and grab my pants, making for a 10 second diaper change.

For reference, the top tapes are about 8" apart on most of my diapers. I have about a 40" waist, and go with large size diapers.
    This is great advice. The 45 angle on the down tapes helps a lot, actually. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by makena43 View Post
    Can you take picture. It would be helpful to visually learners
    Are you asking me, or bambinod?

Quote Originally Posted by makena43 View Post
    Bambinod. I agree with the angle the bottom tapes
    Here you go!

The full gallery of pictures is here if you want to see more pics with descriptions:

https://www.adisc.org/forum/album.ph...chmentid=29893