Advice for fitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benzie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
So, I've been having to wear since around mid to late April this year, and for the love of me, I never seem to get briefs to fit properly.

Now, it could be dependent on size and brand, but I'm not sure. I've had large 24/7s, large ABU Paws, and I'm currently using large Tena Supreme Briefs. I've watched video after video on how to properly put these on, but they always seem to end up wearing like underwear.

Now, I'm a large guy, really wide hips, even when I had much less weight. I'm 240 lbs with probably a 44"-46" pant size, but I could be closer to 42", haven't checked. I think my main problem is fitting it over my stomach and keeping it there. Any advice for how to fit briefs just right?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

get a tape measure and measure the distance from small of your back through the legs and up to the belly button.
Do it with pants on. You should buy diapers that are at least that long from end to end. you may have to email suppliers, because for reasons beyond my understanding, no one provides these measurements. Most of the diaper reviews here do, but they seem to be mostly if not exclusively mediums. I am thin and tall at 175, but still prefer larges.

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

Here's a sizing guide from one site. Note where it says different manufacturers have different sizing. Some sites like this one will send you free samples upon request. Call/email/chat with them!

Diapers are going to fit a bit large. Also many (most?) diaper manufacturers list their product size in relation to how wide your hips can get and still fit the top tapes, even though the bottom tapes are going to require 2-5" more distance on the average.

I've also seen numerous different suggestions for how to place the tapes. Bags of diapers often come with instructions on how to attach the tapes, but a lot of them show angling the upper tapes down and the lower tapes up. I find that always makes for a bad fit. In almost all cases I attach my top tapes angled straight in toward each other, and usually attach them 1/4" below where the tape panel ends on the top. I try to get them close enough to get a snug fit without being too tight, and consider the top tapes' job to be just like the belt in my pants, to hold my diaper up above the wider part of my hips. Getting a consistent fit between diaper changes can be tricky if the pattern on the shell isn't helping. (and any pattern on the tape panel is unreliable because those are often attached off-center) I often use a tailor's tape measure for a quick check.

I get the best fit with the lower tapes if I angle them down about 45 degrees. They're usually stuck down about halfway between the upper tape and the bottom of the tape panel, but this varies a bit. I also usually stick them down about 3/4" farther out than the upper tapes, because they're going around a slightly wider part of my hips. This keeps the fit comfortable but snug against leaks. Getting this right is more important for my nighttime diaper, which is more likely to leak if I'm not fitted right.

Since I'm obviously a little OCD with my diaper taping, I almost always pre-tape my diapers and them pull them up like a pullup. This insures I get a very consistent perfect fit every time. It also can help if I'm running late and in a hurry. Normally I open up a fresh diaper on my bed and sit on it to lay down some powder / zeesorb in the front. Then I get up and move the open diaper to the floor in front of my diaper cabinet and stand over it while applying powder to my back side. (works as a drop cloth, keeps powder off the floor) Then I pull on the diaper I pretaped the last change, tweak the fit so it's perfect. Lastly I pick up the new diaper off the floor and tape it up and put it in the cabinet for my next change. If I'm in a big hurry I can skip most of those steps and just toss on some powder and pull up and grab my pants, making for a 10 second diaper change.

For reference, the top tapes are about 8" apart on most of my diapers. I have about a 40" waist, and go with large size diapers.

Can you take picture. It would be helpful to visually learners

bambinod said:
Diapers are going to fit a bit large. Also many (most?) diaper manufacturers list their product size in relation to how wide your hips can get and still fit the top tapes, even though the bottom tapes are going to require 2-5" more distance on the average.

I've also seen numerous different suggestions for how to place the tapes. Bags of diapers often come with instructions on how to attach the tapes, but a lot of them show angling the upper tapes down and the lower tapes up. I find that always makes for a bad fit. In almost all cases I attach my top tapes angled straight in toward each other, and usually attach them 1/4" below where the tape panel ends on the top. I try to get them close enough to get a snug fit without being too tight, and consider the top tapes' job to be just like the belt in my pants, to hold my diaper up above the wider part of my hips. Getting a consistent fit between diaper changes can be tricky if the pattern on the shell isn't helping. (and any pattern on the tape panel is unreliable because those are often attached off-center) I often use a tailor's tape measure for a quick check.

I get the best fit with the lower tapes if I angle them down about 45 degrees. They're usually stuck down about halfway between the upper tape and the bottom of the tape panel, but this varies a bit. I also usually stick them down about 3/4" farther out than the upper tapes, because they're going around a slightly wider part of my hips. This keeps the fit comfortable but snug against leaks. Getting this right is more important for my nighttime diaper, which is more likely to leak if I'm not fitted right.

Since I'm obviously a little OCD with my diaper taping, I almost always pre-tape my diapers and them pull them up like a pullup. This insures I get a very consistent perfect fit every time. It also can help if I'm running late and in a hurry. Normally I open up a fresh diaper on my bed and sit on it to lay down some powder / zeesorb in the front. Then I get up and move the open diaper to the floor in front of my diaper cabinet and stand over it while applying powder to my back side. (works as a drop cloth, keeps powder off the floor) Then I pull on the diaper I pretaped the last change, tweak the fit so it's perfect. Lastly I pick up the new diaper off the floor and tape it up and put it in the cabinet for my next change. If I'm in a big hurry I can skip most of those steps and just toss on some powder and pull up and grab my pants, making for a 10 second diaper change.

For reference, the top tapes are about 8" apart on most of my diapers. I have about a 40" waist, and go with large size diapers.
This is great advice. The 45° angle on the down tapes helps a lot, actually. Thanks!

makena43 said:
Can you take picture. It would be helpful to visually learners
Are you asking me, or bambinod?

Bambinod. I agree with the angle the bottom tapes

makena43 said:
Bambinod. I agree with the angle the bottom tapes

Here you go!

attachment.php

The full gallery of pictures is here if you want to see more pics with descriptions:

https://www.adisc.org/forum/album.php?albumid=1929&attachmentid=29893

Oh I get it. The tops go on the start of pad area then bottoms are near the tops and point in an angle. That's it?

I tried your method, and this does feel a lot more secure. I still feel like it's riding a little low, perhaps I'm just too large? I'm not sure.
bd4b4b03223b3006e9b85a303fba20a7.jpg

Your body shape looks similar to mine. I prefer a diaper that's a little longer, so that it rides higher in the front and the back. Also, I tend to pull the front part of the diaper out more before I attach the lower tape, partly to help with leaks around the leg opening and partly to pull the front padding a little flatter, which I find comfortable. My tapes end up angled just about like yours are in the picture, just a little more snug on the bottom ones.

I haven't tried the Tena Supremes, but my experience with other Tenas is that they tend to ride a little lower. I'm using Abena L4s at the moment, and I'm pretty happy with the fit of those.

ltaluv said:
Your body shape looks similar to mine. I prefer a diaper that's a little longer, so that it rides higher in the front and the back. Also, I tend to pull the front part of the diaper out more before I attach the lower tape, partly to help with leaks around the leg opening and partly to pull the front padding a little flatter, which I find comfortable. My tapes end up angled just about like yours are in the picture, just a little more snug on the bottom ones.

I haven't tried the Tena Supremes, but my experience with other Tenas is that they tend to ride a little lower. I'm using Abena L4s at the moment, and I'm pretty happy with the fit of those.
I'll have to find another brand! I'll measure along my body to check for length.

I use confdry and tranquility diapers both in medium and I am 34 inch waist I think they fit me well. But I could be wrong. Do you guys put baby powder or Vasline?

Benzie said:
I tried your method, and this does feel a lot more secure. I still feel like it's riding a little low, perhaps I'm just too large? I'm not sure.

Yeah it does look a bit low but then again you've got a bit more of an "overhang" holding your diaper down in the front ;)

That fit should still work just fine for you though. I personally avoid diapers with a large distance of unpadded diaper in the front, it looks like your has 4-5" of unpadded plastic. You can fix that a bit by attaching the upper tapes down a bit... maybe an inch or inch and a half or so?

One other difference I notice is your lower tapes are well below the "corner curl" of the padding, whereas mine are basically directly inline with it. That may just be how your diapers are going to fit you though, I don't know. I suspect you are attaching your lower tapes farther from your upper tapes than I am. I also sometimes do that on some diapers and when I need a really good seal around my legs an am less concerned about getting my leg gathers and leak guards held in place. But it usually isn't as comfortable of a fit. (and tends to create a larger "pouch" in the front a I think I'm seeing in your picture) So I'd suggest you move your upper tapes down an inch and your lower tapes up an inch (keeping the same angle) and see how that compares.

bambinod said:
Yeah it does look a bit low but then again you've got a bit more of an "overhang" holding your diaper down in the front ;)

That fit should still work just fine for you though. I personally avoid diapers with a large distance of unpadded diaper in the front, it looks like your has 4-5" of unpadded plastic. You can fix that a bit by attaching the upper tapes down a bit... maybe an inch or inch and a half or so?

One other difference I notice is your lower tapes are well below the "corner curl" of the padding, whereas mine are basically directly inline with it. That may just be how your diapers are going to fit you though, I don't know. I suspect you are attaching your lower tapes farther from your upper tapes than I am. I also sometimes do that on some diapers and when I need a really good seal around my legs an am less concerned about getting my leg gathers and leak guards held in place. But it usually isn't as comfortable of a fit. (and tends to create a larger "pouch" in the front a I think I'm seeing in your picture) So I'd suggest you move your upper tapes down an inch and your lower tapes up an inch (keeping the same angle) and see how that compares.
I'll give that a try! Something else I've noticed is the overall length is a bit short of what I need, so I've ordered the next size up, just to see how the length compares. I'll update when I can, and in the meantime I'll adjust my tapes like you've suggested.

Wow per taped one like the picture and put it on and was very nice feel. Just need to get a little tighter on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back