Lumpy diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltaluv

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I've been having a hard time finding diapers that don't get lumpy during the day. Even when my incontinence flares up, I probably average 6-10 accidents a week, and sometimes I'll go several days without leaking. I end up changing diapers multiple times a day even when they're not wet, though, because the padding disintegrates and/or gets lumpy. Once I feel like I'm sitting on a bunch of golf balls, it's time to change, and often that's just 2-3 hours after I've put on the diaper in the first place. I'm guessing that it's from absorbing perspiration, since it's much worse on days when I'm active than when I'm sitting at my desk.

I've been using Abena L4s because they're the most resistant that I've found to breaking down and getting lumpy. What other brands do well for extended wear? I'd love to find something that I can put on at 7 AM before I go to work, and not have to change it until 6 PM when I get home. That way I'm not throwing away all these expensive diapers that aren't even wet.

When I do have a wetting accident, it's usually quite a bit, 400-500 ml or so, so I do need something reasonably absorbent to handle that sort of flood.

ltaluv said:
I've been having a hard time finding diapers that don't get lumpy during the day. Even when my incontinence flares up, I probably average 6-10 accidents a week, and sometimes I'll go several days without leaking. I end up changing diapers multiple times a day even when they're not wet, though, because the padding disintegrates and/or gets lumpy. Once I feel like I'm sitting on a bunch of golf balls, it's time to change, and often that's just 2-3 hours after I've put on the diaper in the first place. I'm guessing that it's from absorbing perspiration, since it's much worse on days when I'm active than when I'm sitting at my desk.

I've been using Abena L4s because they're the most resistant that I've found to breaking down and getting lumpy. What other brands do well for extended wear? I'd love to find something that I can put on at 7 AM before I go to work, and not have to change it until 6 PM when I get home. That way I'm not throwing away all these expensive diapers that aren't even wet.

When I do have a wetting accident, it's usually quite a bit, 400-500 ml or so, so I do need something reasonably absorbent to handle that sort of flood.
I have found if I stay dry my nappy starts to break up and as you describe become lumpy. Once wet it stays comfortable.

Hi I respect everyone has different experiences so I will only talk of mine, generally I have found l4's to be one of the worst I have tried in both clumping and weeping through the cover "cloth like" version. And I found tena Slip maxis to be much better by far however there latest version has taken a big dive in quality. I would highly recommend trying abu lavenders if you don't mind colour. Everything seems inferior once you've gone abu. I've found the single tape lavenders fit amazing and stay comfortable all day without leaks I am a little larger and struggle to find diapers that fit really well. There 4 tape ie little paws, space and simples are awesome too with more absorbency but I have never had one clump at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've thought about cloth diapers, especially since my accidents are not that frequent. When thing are going better with my bladder, it's sometimes once a week or less that I have an accident. I got some prefolds a few years ago, and they ended up way too thick to wear under my clothes, and I didn't much like the feel of the vinyl pants against my skin. I think part of the problem there was that I have very large thighs (I was a serious bicyclist for years, and hopefully someday will be again) so it was hard to find plastic pants that weren't too tight there and caused skin problems.

I took a look at ABU, and they seem to be sold out of a lot of stuff. I don't know that I could get past the colors and patterns of a lot of their diapers, and the Simples in my size are sold out until at least later this month.

ltaluv said:
I've thought about cloth diapers, especially since my accidents are not that frequent. When thing are going better with my bladder, it's sometimes once a week or less that I have an accident. I got some prefolds a few years ago, and they ended up way too thick to wear under my clothes, and I didn't much like the feel of the vinyl pants against my skin. I think part of the problem there was that I have very large thighs (I was a serious bicyclist for years, and hopefully someday will be again) so it was hard to find plastic pants that weren't too tight there and caused skin problems.

I took a look at ABU, and they seem to be sold out of a lot of stuff. I don't know that I could get past the colors and patterns of a lot of their diapers, and the Simples in my size are sold out until at least later this month.
How have Simples been, for you? I've had a couple other kinds of their diapers, but I've really wanted to try those. I really prefer something that's just plain white.

And to go with the topic of this post, I have also had a lot of issues with clumping. For me it's more the frustration of waking up in the morning with a wadded up mess between my legs, because of whatever position I was lying in.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

northshore supreme pad is firm and will not break up.

In my experience, the tendency for a disposable diaper to clump varies tremendously from one brand to another. For the past year or so, the brands that I’ve been using have been ComfiDry 24/7 BetterDry. Both brands are premium, high-capacity diapers that do not clump.

Thanks for all these suggestions. That gives me some brands to try.

It seems like such an obvious issue to me that I'm surprised so many manufacturers put out products that fall apart so easily. I guess a lot of them are geared toward institutions that change diapers every 3-4 hours anyway, and toward bedridden patients who aren't up being active and sweating.

Same here. Northshore, confidry, and betterdry last a good long while without clumping.

On the other hand, if the OP wants to not use his diaper most of the time, then I'd suggests tranquality atn. They will still clump up after a few hours, but they at least cost less than abena.

I have recently started to use a brand called liv dry, they are sold by a company in north Carolina called tye medical. The diapers themselves are not very absorbent but are intended to be used with different absorbency insert pads, there are several different levels of the insert pads and i personally use the super or the hyper level and am very satisfied with the cost, comfort and quality of these also they are designed for you to use the same diaper all day and just change the pad as needed. I must say i was quite skeptical about these when i found them but i got some samples and liked them so i bought cases. If you email them they will send you up to 5 samples

I looked at the Liv Dry website, but I was a little confused. As I understand them, the diaper is somewhat absorbent, but the booster is more absorbent? Does the booster have a plastic backing, and doesn't that keep the diaper from absorbing anything?

In any event, they look like something I should try.

ltaluv said:
I looked at the Liv Dry website, but I was a little confused. As I understand them, the diaper is somewhat absorbent, but the booster is more absorbent? Does the booster have a plastic backing, and doesn't that keep the diaper from absorbing anything?

In any event, they look like something I should try.

Generally you don't want to need boosters at all. They do extend the total absorbency, but do nothing to improve their performance. And when they do leak, there's more pee to leak out so it's alays bed. Then there's the added cost of the diaper plus booster.

If you think you need boosters all the time, you're better off just getting a better diaper.

I wear boxer briefs over my diapers and they seem to keep them in place a lot better. I wear tens ultra stretch and when I'm wearing just a diaper for a couple hours I do notice bunching and sometimes it gets painful. Try wearing underwear over your diaper and see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back