Does your paci hurt your teeth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordFluffybuttz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I have a little for big pacifier that I love, I’m new to the whole paci thing but I like it. Does it harm your teeth? I heard that if it was a small baby paci then it would and adult sized ones if proper fit will not?

My teeth are not perfect anyways so I can not tell if the discomfort is from the paci or not.

Hi Lord F.,
For me its exactly as you describe. I can't use baby pacifiers over night as those hurt my teeth.
But with adult sized NUK medic I have no problems whatsoever. Even with every night usage.

Not hurt, but they can deform your teeth. Of couse, this only happens with lots and lots of repetitive use.

Do a google image search for "pacifier teeth". You'll see what I mean.

For more it's kinda different. It stops me from gnashing lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah. I've tried using a dummy/paci overnight and my teeth hurt, just like when I had orthodontic braces. They can push your teeth out of alignment -- that's one reason that they're discouraged from use with children.

You have to use them very extensively to actually do noticeable damage. I've noticed a very very very slight shift in my front teeth but it's literally by the thickness of my nail. Most won't notice, I'm just extremely vigilant when it comes to stuff like that. I use it occasionally maybe a couple hours per 2 weeks give or take? Been doing that for around a year and a half

If your jaw is hurting take some breaks in between. It might be because you're not used to it not necessarily your teeth shifting.

There's a few episodes of SuperNanny where Jo has to help parents wean their kids off pacifiers because it can affect their speech drastically by deforming their teeth into a circular shape. The reason my teeth are falling apart is that I always forget to brush them. I sleep with a paci on most nights but take breaks for a few days at a time.

So would nightly use be too much? And would the wiser ABDLs suggest we try to stick with adult sizes if we use them regularly?

I think it's pretty much a sure thing that sucking on anything in your mouth for extended periods will move your teeth around. If it's something you're worried about, then I think you should be fine just doing it in moderation. Like only use it to sleep at night or every other day. If you've had braces, and have a retainer, then using you're retainer like you're supposed to will counter act any damage. Paci moves your teeth out retainer moves them back in. If it's something that's a major concern for you you can ask your dentist, they might make a retainer for you, that might cost a pretty penny but if it's becoming a major concern it's something to think about.

If paci has correct size, so there isn't necessary holding with teeth. Problem fixed: Correctly sized pacis.

I really need to start paying more attention. Did not know this question was already asked. So I will post what I did in my thread.
I find myself sucking on my pacifier too hard without even trying or thinking about it. I know this is just me trying to focus. Its an unconscious thing I do and I am trying to figure out how to be gentle with the thing.
I use it when I need to clear my thoughts. I would use it with my stuffed animal in my arms and go into my imagination. Then I will keep it in my mouth when I get back to my daily chores. I also find that If I am not careful that I have a line form on the inside of my lips where my teeth meet. I have an over bite, but that has been there long before I turned to pacifiers for mental relief. I have to have my pacifier to concentrate on things. I rather be functional and have misaligned teeth than to be dysfunctional all together.

Last edited:
I've had to use an adult sized pacifier for the last 6 months due to air leakage when I first got my CPAP machine about 7 months ago. The pacifier was recommended for the issue and, along with a chinstrap (which didn't solve the issue when used without the pacifier) it completely reduced my air leakage. Note, too, that I use a nasal pillow type CPAP. I am a thumb sucker so I had to have something anyway in order to sleep.
As for my teeth, I noticed quite a significant change in their position when first waking up (it's in my mouth for the entire night, about 6-7 hours typically). It settles back quickly (usually about 30 minutes) but, over time, my dentist confirmed that my overjet increased by 2.8 mm and my front teeth are angled up more.
If it gets far higher then I will make a decision. I'll probably stay with it as my sleep quality has risen tremendously and I'm used to "buck" teeth. I am surprised though. During the day, my thumb fits better so that's a good thing I think.

lazurm said:
I've had to use an adult sized pacifier for the last 6 months due to air leakage when I first got my CPAP machine about 7 months ago. The pacifier was recommended for the issue and, along with a chinstrap (which didn't solve the issue when used without the pacifier) it completely reduced my air leakage. Note, too, that I use a nasal pillow type CPAP. I am a thumb sucker so I had to have something anyway in order to sleep.
As for my teeth, I noticed quite a significant change in their position when first waking up (it's in my mouth for the entire night, about 6-7 hours typically). It settles back quickly (usually about 30 minutes) but, over time, my dentist confirmed that my overjet increased by 2.8 mm and my front teeth are angled up more.
If it gets far higher then I will make a decision. I'll probably stay with it as my sleep quality has risen tremendously and I'm used to "buck" teeth. I am surprised though. During the day, my thumb fits better so that's a good thing I think.

Same to me, but my gap between teeth is about 5 mm. It'd be way how to identify anothers ABs. As minimum two times I discovered someone.

Well my gap increased 2.8 mm as I stated but my total gap now is a little over 9mm so my teeth show easier now than before. Still, I'm used to buck teeth so for me it's all good.

CrazySmoker said:
Same to me, but my gap between teeth is about 5 mm. It'd be way how to identify anothers ABs. As minimum two times I discovered someone.

LordFluffybuttz said:
I have a little for big pacifier that I love, I’m new to the whole paci thing but I like it. Does it harm your teeth? I heard that if it was a small baby paci then it would and adult sized ones if proper fit will not?

My teeth are not perfect anyways so I can not tell if the discomfort is from the paci or not.
Well a baby pacifier does make my teeth hurt if used for an extended period. Interestingly, the Little For Big pack fits my mouth well and doesn't hurt. I tried a Baby Pants pacifier which is larger than the Little For Big. It doesn't hurt but is uncomfortable since it is too big for my mouth.
I think it's all about finding the right size. Fortunately for us with strong oral fixations, there is a range of sizes available.
As for harming your teeth, if you are not feeling any pain or discomfort, I think you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They make it a little sore sometimes yeah. Hopefully it doesn't hurt too much... :(

My paci makes my mouth and my teeth sore pretty quickly. It’s a baby pacifier, so it’s a size issue. When I move out I plan on ordering some adult sized pacifiers.

I somehow ended up without a gap in my teeth despite having and using pacifiers until I was almost 4. I had a secret stash of them, but eventually my parents found them and that was the end of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back