Why do US Attends have a bad reputation when UK Attends are excellent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbilly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I have never tried US Attends but everything I have read they are considered a cheap supermarket brand like Depends and they are rubbish. The UK Attends I can't fault them. The Attends Slip Regular plus 10 is a brilliant incontinence nappy. It fits comfortably and wicks good and benefits from being plastic. Also the cloth backed Attends Regular 9 and 10 are good too, much better then the cloth backed Molicare Premium. Why the difference in quality? If Molicare can distribute the same quality pads in the UK and US why can't Attends?

The US and UK versions of many, many diapers are not even close to the same. Depends, Tena, Seni, and many more are also this way.

What we have in the US is almost always worse. For decades, the manufacturers here have been pushing that thinner is more discrete (which also drives up their profits due to more changes required). Of course thinner is also crappier too.

The majority in our society here seem to be slowly realising this though, and better brands keep becoming more readily available (just nit in stores yet). Betterdry is probably the best example of this. It's an EU diaper that is now being sold in the US with the same performance specs. Up until a few years ago we never had anything close to as good as these.

I have a soft spot for plastic-backed diapers that a lot of other ABDLs don't care for but I can't say much positive about Attends anymore. I really enjoyed them when I first got out on my own to buy diapers but the quality dropped so far when they changed ownership that I had to go and find other options. I have some Attends Waistband right now I got for free and I will get through them but after using a number of them recently, I don't think I'd pay typical thrift store prices for them. I like the feel of the plastic and the tapes grip very well but otherwise they're very poor. It's a sad fall for a product line I really loved at one time.

Attends never changed ownership; they simply changed their name. "Paper Pak" became Attends Consumer Healthcare. They USED to be a supermarket brand in that in the 90's they could be found in supermarkets along side Depend; however they are now very difficult to find, probably because they are noisier and more expensive than other brands; and they had a tendency to leak. Also, people prefer not to purchase adult diapers in grocery stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abdltimmy said:
Attends never changed ownership; they simply changed their name. "Paper Pak" became Attends Consumer Healthcare. They USED to be a supermarket brand in that in the 90's they could be found in supermarkets along side Depend; however they are now very difficult to find, probably because they are noisier and more expensive than other brands; and they had a tendency to leak. Also, people prefer not to purchase adult diapers in grocery stores.

I wasn't absolutely sure about Attends ownership changing but I had heard it often enough that I was inclined to believe. I dug around a little just now and what I found matches my recollection: they were owned by Procter and Gamble and were sold off to the existing Paper Pak company in the 90s (https://www.cnbc.com/2014/08/08/betting-on-boomers-pg-enters-the-adult-diaper-market.html).

And now domtar is making attends.

Absolutely P&G was the original maker! I was buying them in the late 80's. They originally had the micropore lining, same lining used in feminine pads. I never really liked the feel of that since it was a plastic film with lots of micro holes in it. But they had nice padding and I remember it to be a wide pad as well. then they went to the better known stay dry lining of non woven nylon. Then they sold the line off to Paper Pak and that was the fall of a great design. Such is life i guess.

I wasn't aware of the original P&G ownership. I humbly stand corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attends were okay back in the day only thing I hated was that perfume smell. Anyone in the same room as you would know you are wearing a diaper with that perfume smell since its a tell tale scent. Plus the crinkle was out of this world too. Same for the good old Depends too crinkle speaking. I still use a attends when I have physical therapy since I do not want to waste my X-Plus or Dry 24-7 or DCAmor on sweat. I did have to get a bag of the attends in England once and yes they were far better than the US Version I bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back