advices needed for taking care of pacifiers (latex and silicon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

neaendr

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Hello I would like to know what is your routine and your techniques when it come to clean and sterilize your pacifiers.:detective3
(Also sorry for my english i'm sleep-deprived these days and i cannot use my usual translator tool:sweatdrop)

Indeed i saw on the internet, a photo of a latex paci from someone who said that it was already fifteen years (and it was in good condition only the colors had changed) it's rather encouraging,
So it make me wonder if I take good care of my paci, i would like to keep mine like this through the years...I have a paci with a silicone nipple, this is the first true adult sized one I bought, and recently a got several other (except with latex).
I guess i can clean silicone and latex ones the same way, but I may be wrong ...:/ ?
I have not clean my latex paci otherwise than with soap and hot water yet,
but concerning the silicone paci (that I have for many months now) here is how I proceed:

Generally I simply use soap and water, but from time to time I immerse it in a small container filled with hot (but not boiling) water in which I put some dishwashing liquid and a few drop of tea tree essential oil ... (which is a good antibacterial and natural fungicide).
I voluntarily press on the silicone nipple when it is immersed to chase the air in it and fill it with the water that washes the inside of the silicone part (it is this a good thing? I do not see how to wash the inside otherwise ...:/)
I let it immersed one hour, and then I pull it out and push the water out of the nipple (by pressing it again) then rinse it with cold water and I let it dry near a source of heat (usually on a towel that I put on the radiator). Not sure if all these temperature changes are good for the silicone:dunno:

I have not yet wash the latex pacifiers this way, do you thing i can do the same with these?

As for storing them I must admit that generally I leave them in the open air or in a small metal box (i try to avoid contact between them i'm not sure but i feel like latex and silicon shouldn't been in direct contact) ... However I read on the PacifiersUS website, that it was better to put them in an air thigh container to extend their lifetime ...Did some small fabrics bags would suffice or should it really have to be some closed air thigh boxes? I think about using simple small resealable plastic bags with a pressure zip (my latex paci have been sent to me in these little bags precisely, but are they viable for long term use ...? Apparently latex can "fused" and "melt" if it is in contact with porous materials):sweatdrop:
sachet_zip_746.jpg

Now I wish I could sterilize / disinfect them better. I read that it was possible to boil pacifiers in water (whether latex or silicone) but how to proceed? sterilization boxes used in microwave for regular paci are apparently too small for adult sized models (there are larger models that can contain several paci at the same time regardless)
Otherwise, I could boil them directly in a saucepan with water... I imagine that i should avoid boiling silicone and latex models at the same time ...Right?:confused:
Does boiling paci risk to damage or erase the images and colors of the guard/ shield? (I have a very nice Eeyore model, I do not want it to be erased or faded ...) ): Say, how to make boiling water inside the latex or silicone part (without risking to burn my fingers :p)?

sorry for this avalanche of questions I would really like to know what you think of my current techniques and how you take care of your own pacifiers whether they are in silicone or latex and also how you store them so that they stay in good shape. I'm afraid about making some majors beginners mistakes, please share your advice and experience ! Thank you very much :smile1:

Ok so sorry for not reading your entire post but it's a whopper and it's late where I am and I'm very tired. Out of twenty four years of paci sucking here are some of what I learned. So if you get latex something you should know is after a time they break down faster than silicone and can become a choking hazard. (I know from personal experience) So If you replace them at the first sign of breaking down like cracking or dissolving you'll be ok. It usually takes a while for that to happen though. First thing when you get a pacifier period pull on the teat fairly hard to make sure that it's not going to have a defect and break in your mouth. Also try not to chew on them cause you can accidently bite though and it shortens the life of the paci. Also some pacis will have you boil and some will say no best to do what the box says if it doesn't say best not to boil. Remember though too that an adults immune system is way stronger than a babies. On that note when you brush your teeth wash your paci you don't want the bad bacteria that was just removed from your mouth to be put right back in also wash it if it falls on something you don't want it to. Some pacis say that they are dishwasher safe some are not at all the heat of the water can melt the plastic shield then you truly will cry just like a baby if that happens trust me. I also recommend silicone because most if not all are more bacteria resistant. I recommend dish soap or hand soap for cleaning cause you don't need to go over board on cleaning unless your immune system is weak or on the fritz. I personally don't sterilize a lot I'd say do it once a week to once a month depending on how much you use it and wash it. I personally like the idea you have on using tea tree oil and might just barrow it. As for the person that had his fifteen years he either used it once and never touched it again or had the nipple replaced a lot. Now I really say either replace the nipple or buy a new on every year to every two if it lasts you that long. And if you see signs of wear and tear stop using immediately and replace the nipple or the paci. Keep in mind that your saliva is meant to break down anything that enters your mouth and it does break down nipples. Can't think of anything right now but if I think of anything else I'll post again.

Thanks for sharing your experience ! :)

Silicone and latex can be cleaned the same ways. Word of advice, though: silicone sucks. If you're not allergic to latex, it's far superior in terms of texture and flexibility. It feels much better in the mouth. Also, most silicone adult pacifiers out there use the same nipple, a crappy Chinese one with horrible mold lines that actually cut into your mouth.

Well i like how smooth silicone can be, but i do not like some brand like the baby pant one (I tried it and i was disappointed).
Fortunately i now have one silicone paci from PacifierUS and it seem to be a pretty good quality (it already have sign of deterioration but i wasn't taking care of it during the first months of use, so it's certainly my fault :/).
I thought the silicone was the best for me, but then I bought latex paci and realized how nice there were. Less "hard" than silicone and no noticeable taste unlike the preview latex product i've tried from the NUK brand (the famous feeding bootle teat, for babies with cleft palate, used by adult...) In fact I like both for their different qualities: the latex is softer and less rigid in the mouth, and the silicone is more durable.

i loved the size of my silicone paci (MST7 long steam from PacifierUS) even a little to long maybe
And i loved the texture of my actual latex paci (Nuk 5 size)

since i'm still on the quest of the perfect size and shape for me; my next purchase will be a good combination of these two qualities : the MLT7 (latex) from PacifierUS, who seem to combine an thigh-high and long steam with soft latex. :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back