Status
Not open for further replies.

indigodl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Coming somewhat late to the diaper game, I never actually went through the part of buying cheap store bought diapers; instead my first diapers were ABU BareBum's. They feel great, they have a nice crinkle and boy can they hold a lot.

They are however quite expensive, and so I'm interested in mixing in another type of diaper into my stash. I've been looking at the PVC backed Abena M4, since they also look nice and bulky and you get a few more for the same price, but does anybody know if I'll be disappointed with them after the BareBums?

I haven't tested; you might want to read reviews of those diapers on the site. My sense is that despite being pretty different kinds of diapers, they're fairly close in capacity. This puts them in the same category with Plastic Preschools in my experience, although it seemed like Preschools had slightly better capacity and performance out of the three.

Assuming ABU works good for you without premature leaking, then Abena M4 (plastic backed) is going to be a little worse.

They do not hold as much, which means you will get to a leaking point much more often. You will also need to change more often, which will drive up their cost. Possible even by double. Nit to mention the added leaks, pinhole leaks, and tape issues.

You're better off skipping Abena and going with a lower cost-per-day diaper, not cheaper-per-diaper. I highly recommend Betterdry. They easily last more than 8-10 hours, so with just three changes you end up spending only about $5.00 per day. Take it to just two changes per day and now you're only spending $3.34. This is the lowest cost diaper I have ever seen- though you may have rash problems so I don't go that long.

iirc the barebum were very similar to mydiaper. sized a bit small (like bambino), medium capacity. The xplus have less sap and more padding so they wick better but are probably going to be around the same capacity. Barebum will fit a little more comfortable with the rear elastic. M4 lack a tape panel and use double tapes instead. IIRC the leak guars on the xplus are a little shorter also.

If you like barebum but want cheaper, see if you can get mydiaper cheaper where you are as they are very similar. They are quite a bit less expensive but shipping (from Germany?) may do you in. Tykables are also very similar.

Yep I think you will be disappointed. They are old fashioned fit wise and no taping panel and cheapened out on the manufacturing.

Bambinod is correct as usual see if you can source some MyDiaper Night variants which are basically the same as BareBums.

I've never tried BareBums but have a strange love of Abena M-4s, they are less than the original X-Pluses and not quite the diaper they started out as losing more SAP and elastic waistbands still they fit the best and with a back striped Luvs as a booster hold more pee than I can put out in 12 to 14 hours. I do not find tape or pinhole issues with the M-4s as another mentioned but do with ID slips at times and a few others. I recommend you try a few and decide for yourself.

I have been using M4's for the last several months and have had no pin leaks ever. I now have 3 cases because of the scare they they were going to go away.

I've been using the M4's for about a year now. I've never had any pin hole leaks, I don't think a tape has popped off that I didn't screw up first and it wicks better than any other diaper I've used which means you can use more of its actual capacity.

I'm confused by the dislike of the M4's in this thread. Just the other week there was a rumor going around that they were being discontinued and everyone was upset.

I don't know how they compare to the barebums. I'd recommend checking out the review section to get more details.

I'm just a DL and just enjoy the feeling of wearing a nice dry comfy diaper. Preferably dry. When dry which are thicker and more comfortable M4 or BareBums?

I'm not sure about M4's, but I don't find BareBums TOO thick when dry. Of course, I'm in the opposite direction and can't wait to wet them, at which point they do tend to swell up quite a bit. No matter how hard I try though I've never found their limit (just took one off after 5hrs).

Thanks for all the suggestions here, I'm not too bothered about the day to day costs, my wearing is more ... recreational. However I only have a specific amount that I can really spend a month on this 'hobby' and so was looking at a way I could potentially get more diapers to spend more days wearing.

I went to order some Abena M4 just to try.... but in the end my head overruled my wallet and I ended up getting ABU Simples, so lets see what they're like.

Katarn89 said:
I've been using the M4's for about a year now. I've never had any pin hole leaks, I don't think a tape has popped off that I didn't screw up first and it wicks better than any other diaper I've used which means you can use more of its actual capacity.

I'm confused by the dislike of the M4's in this thread. Just the other week there was a rumor going around that they were being discontinued and everyone was upset.

I don't know how they compare to the barebums. I'd recommend checking out the review section to get more details.

It's possible abena has fixed many of the problems they were plagued with. This was over a year ago, abd the reason why I quit using them. At the time, tapes were horrible, pinhole leaks were common, and the padding had just been cut back. They lost my trust in the name of making a bigger profit. That was a good thing though, as I've found much, mech better than what they even used to have.

indigodl said:
I'm not sure about M4's, but I don't find BareBums TOO thick when dry. Of course, I'm in the opposite direction and can't wait to wet them, at which point they do tend to swell up quite a bit. No matter how hard I try though I've never found their limit (just took one off after 5hrs).

Thanks for all the suggestions here, I'm not too bothered about the day to day costs, my wearing is more ... recreational. However I only have a specific amount that I can really spend a month on this 'hobby' and so was looking at a way I could potentially get more diapers to spend more days wearing.

I went to order some Abena M4 just to try.... but in the end my head overruled my wallet and I ended up getting ABU Simples, so lets see what they're like.

Hooray! You avoided shrinkflation corporate stuff. :)

ABU Simples are excellent but if you haven’t found BareBums limit after 5 hours you probably will need 12 hours for a Simple.

Simples/Space/Lil Pawz are great but very different to BareBums, they have a super wide crotch and a more generous fit. To make the most of them though I recommend you do the vertical fold to make the channel on them.

Did you look at the pricing for MyDiaper Nacht varieties from Saveexpress? They have White ones, colour ones, sexy ones, black ones (shudder), some new fuggly yellow ones, gorgeous pink ones and are basically the same nappy as BareBums.

The plastic backed M4s have recently been discontinued. Everything out there at the moment is just what has already been made, but Abena won't be making them in plastic backed anymore.

indigodl said:
Coming somewhat late to the diaper game, I never actually went through the part of buying cheap store bought diapers; instead my first diapers were ABU BareBum's. They feel great, they have a nice crinkle and boy can they hold a lot.

They are however quite expensive, and so I'm interested in mixing in another type of diaper into my stash. I've been looking at the PVC backed Abena M4, since they also look nice and bulky and you get a few more for the same price, but does anybody know if I'll be disappointed with them after the BareBums?
Just curious as a life long ABDL; What got you interested in diapers?

Sent from my U673C using Tapatalk

bambinod said:
iirc the barebum were very similar to mydiaper. sized a bit small (like bambino), medium capacity. The xplus have less sap and more padding so they wick better but are probably going to be around the same capacity. Barebum will fit a little more comfortable with the rear elastic. M4 lack a tape panel and use double tapes instead. IIRC the leak guars on the xplus are a little shorter also.

If you like barebum but want cheaper, see if you can get mydiaper cheaper where you are as they are very similar. They are quite a bit less expensive but shipping (from Germany?) may do you in. Tykables are also very similar.
Oh Tykables are amazing!
[emoji2]

Sent from my U673C using Tapatalk

Argent said:
ABU Simples are excellent but if you haven’t found BareBums limit after 5 hours you probably will need 12 hours for a Simple.

I'm not saying it wasn't lovely and soggy, but I'm also looking forward to testing out the Simple!

extremecomfy said:
Just curious as a life long ABDL; What got you interested in diapers?

Probably slightly off topic, but I've always been DL since I was about 12 (did the usual thing of attempting to make temp diapers out of bags etc, which I THOUGHT I was the only one that did that :). It laid dormant for about 10 years and then started coming back but I didn't really know how to process the desires/feelings and just felt ashamed. I also had no real free time to try one or an easy way of getting them (I also couldn't pluck up the courage) so I just kept trying to kill this feeling.

Fortunately after 30 years of holding the dam back... it broke and about a month and a half ago the feeling came back stronger than ever to the point where I just thought "to hell with the consequences I HAVE to wear a diaper!". Now I'm working on accepting this as part of me, the feeling is even stronger and I LOVE! it. I wish I'd plucked up the courage to just throw myself into it sooner.

Anyway, since I came to this late and with a proper paying job, I'm able to jump straight into premium diapers. (Currently wearing an ABU Kiddo.... WOW!)

indigodl said:
I'm not saying it wasn't lovely and soggy, but I'm also looking forward to testing out the Simple!

Probably slightly off topic, but I've always been DL since I was about 12 (did the usual thing of attempting to make temp diapers out of bags etc, which I THOUGHT I was the only one that did that :). It laid dormant for about 10 years and then started coming back but I didn't really know how to process the desires/feelings and just felt ashamed. I also had no real free time to try one or an easy way of getting them (I also couldn't pluck up the courage) so I just kept trying to kill this feeling.

Fortunately after 30 years of holding the dam back... it broke and about a month and a half ago the feeling came back stronger than ever to the point where I just thought "to hell with the consequences I HAVE to wear a diaper!". Now I'm working on accepting this as part of me, the feeling is even stronger and I LOVE! it. I wish I'd plucked up the courage to just throw myself into it sooner.

Anyway, since I came to this late and with a proper paying job, I'm able to jump straight into premium diapers. (Currently wearing an ABU Kiddo.... WOW!)

That took a lot of courage. I started so young, unable and unwilling to resist, a born rebel, :graduate: human rights lawyer until 7 years ago, I was caught by parents many times and was the victim of attempted humiliation. Like the dog shit diaper story. My late father, I am 43, got a brand new beautiful pamper, just my size and held it out for me. When I looked inside there was smelly dog poo in it. What my dad was trying to do did not register in diaper driven brain. I remember thinking, " man my dad is stupid. Why would I want to use a diaper with dog shit in it???!!!" I was six yo when that happened. My mom did it to me at age 15. I remember her screaming at the top of her lungs" SO YOU WANT TO BE A FUCKING BABY????!!!! She trashed my stash. Not fazed. I promptly replaced it. I respect you for waiting though because you avoided all the hell I went through. I just could never stop. :cloud9: lol

- - - Updated - - -

I made my first temp diapers at age 9. White plastic garbage bag. Stuffing from a teddy bear. Stapler. Done. Peed in. over the toilet. Major leaks. Had to do it though. Amazing how similar our stories are. *sigh* hmmmm.....diapers get :worshippy: from us

Argent said:
Simples/Space/Lil Pawz are great but very different to BareBums, they have a super wide crotch and a more generous fit. To make the most of them though I recommend you do the vertical fold to make the channel on them.

WOW you weren't joking they ARE super wide! I had a bit of trouble getting the taping right as well, guess practice makes perfect.

After the fun Kiddos yesterday (which I LOVED) the plain white of the Simples does look a little boring. It's kind of a revelation because when originally looking for diapers I thought I'd only want no print, but after the barebums and kiddo I realise a fun print is... FUN!

(I actually bought the Simples not only to try, but because I intend on telling my wife soon and I guess one question will be "Can I see one of your diapers?" and I didn't want to scare her by showing her one with a more 'childish' print (I'll get her use to the idea first).

I used to be an all white diaper lover and was super impressed with the Simples but Kiddos are the best EVER IMO.

I love ABUs Super Dry Kids, Lavender and Cushies as well and they are the same as Kiddos only the Kiddos have the front elastic (others currently only have the back elastic.)

Fingers crossed it goes well with your wife buddy!

I’ve used M4 and barebums extensively, I like the barebums better, they hold a little more, are a little bit thinner and fit me better. Abena makes a great medical product, and there PE backed diapers are not being discontinued in the states at least, but with so many new better diapers out there, abenas are now on the back, back burner for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back