Tykables Overnights Review

Fruitkitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
The Tykables Overnights is a new and substantially overhauled version of the Tykables Waddler Overnight, with a release date in October 2017. Tykables, which has moved increasingly to offer a wide range of ABDL clothing other than diapers, has been out of stock of all of its diapers for many months, but in early September 2017 finally announced that its flagship diaper would return with a substantial redesign.

The new Overnights advertises a higher capacity than the original Waddler Overnight, has an updated print using their current iteration of the animal characters seen throughout their product lines, and features what they have termed their "Active Littles Grip" refastenable hook-and-loop system on an otherwise plastic-backed diaper. Hook-and-loop tapes in particular are a still-novel feature for ABDL diapers that have not previously been implemented well and at a competitive price point, and stand out as a major change.

I am reviewing the Size 1 (medium) Overnights as provided in a sample for review in October 2017. The Size 1 (medium) is listed as fitting waists of 28"-36", the Size 2 (large) is listed as fitting waists of 34"-48", and the Size 3 (extra-large) is listed as fitting waists of 48"-60".

Appearance, Size, and Features

The Overnights have an all-over print with a blue and white moon pattern on the wings, a white center field with images of their animal characters in bedtime clothing and fade-away stars, and a pink, green, and blue wavy border between them. When stacked, the border area is visible and the bright color contrast is very eye-catching. The print differs from the original print primarily in the complexity of the characters in the center. The hook and loop panel is slightly opaque and feels textured to the touch. I do feel broadly that the print is believable as a modern baby diaper print.

283-1-FrontFolded.JPG

283-2-BackFolded.JPG

Front and Back of Folded Diaper, Respectively

To test their dry thickness, I stacked three diapers on top of each other, placed a heavy book on top of them, and measured their height. Together, the 3 diapers had a height of approximately 11.6 cm (4.6 in). Thus, the dry thickness of a single folded diaper is 3.9 cm (1.5 in). This places it among the thickest diapers on the market.

This is a pretty clear contrast from the original Waddler Overnight, which was an unusually thin diaper despite its premium capacity. In this redesign, Tykables has moved to make the new Overnights a thicker diaper analogous to the high-end ABU products and Bambino Magnifico.

283-3-stacked.JPG

3 Diapers Stacked

I measured the dry mass of 3 diapers using a kitchen scale and measured them at 607 g (1.34 lb) for a mass of 202 g (0.46 lb) per diaper.

283-13-DryMass3.JPG

Dry Mass of 3 Diapers Stacked

The Overnights use a double-tape design with hook-and-loop fasteners that they have advertised as their "Active Littles Grips". They measure 5.0 cm (2.0 in) wide each, which is unusually wide for double tapes, and are attached to the wings similar to traditional tapes unlike the previous stretch-side implementation seen on the Bambino Magnifico.

Hook-and-loop tapes have several clear advantages in that they grip extremely well relative to traditional tapes and can be infinitely fastened and refastened without losing any of that grip. They have been the default on baby diapers in combination with cloth-like covers for a decade and a half, but have yet to meaningfully penetrate the ABDL diaper market. Tykables split the difference and implemented hook-and-loop tapes on an otherwise plastic-backed diaper. This is perhaps the least authentic aspect with respect to modern baby diapers, but it makes for a superior diaper functionally than traditional tapes on a fully plastic diaper.

283-4-tapes.JPG

The Tapes

The inside of the diaper is white with a rectangular aqua-colored center core, and to the touch this appears to roughly mark an area of higher density. The padding is arranged in an hourglass shape. The padding feels dense with a firm and oily cotton texture. The diaper has standing leak guards. It features elastic waistbands in both the front and back.

283-5-outside.JPG

283-6-inside.JPG

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper

With the diaper outstretched, it measures 79.2 cm (31.2 in) in length, 63.0 cm (24.8 in) in width at the wings, 33.4 cm (13.1 in) in width at the center, and 20.2 cm (8.0 in) in width between the leak guards.

This is notably one of the longest diapers that I have measured in size medium, and fully 7.7 cm (3.0 in) longer than the original Waddler Overnight.

283-7-length.JPG

283-8-widthwing.JPG

283-9-widthcenter.JPG

Performance and Fit

To test the capacity of this diaper quantitatively, I ran a test to simulate use. I put a diaper on and then repeatedly poured water into the front of it in 100 mL increments and sitting down in a chair for 30 seconds each time to give the diaper a chance to absorb the liquid, pace the process, and see if it would leak when sitting.

After 500 mL of water, the swell of the front of the diaper was becoming apparent and by 600 mL it took effort to close my legs while sitting. At 900 mL, I started to first have water reach the leg cuffs, but only at 1300 mL did the front fade-when-wet stars fully disappear as the diaper continued to swell substantially in the front. At 1500 mL, there was slight wetness at the cuff but the padding where I sat still felt dry. At 1700 mL I started feeling bulk building where I sat and was sitting in dampness, with the cuffs feeling wet inside. At 1900 mL I felt like I was sitting in a puddle. At 2000 mL, I felt outer wetness at the top of the leg cuffs, and noted a lot of bulk below me when standing. At 2200 mL I felt like I was sitting fully in a deep puddle. At 2300 mL I felt like I was sitting on a squishy wet foam block and the diaper leaked on my chair, at which point I stopped the test.

This result sets the Overnights clearly into the top "super-premium" tier with very few other ABDL diapers, at a capacity that is markedly above the best medical adult diapers on the market.

I folded the diaper back up to compare its thickness to a dry diaper. It had expanded to roughly 12.5 cm (4.9 in), about 3.2x its original size. The tapes did not budge at all throughout this test.

283-10-heightfull.JPG

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

I put on a fresh diaper and wore it while going about ordinary activities. The diaper lasted a total of 8 hours before beginning to leak. During my test, I had 6 or so light to moderate wettings, but did not flood it.

With a 36" waist, I am at the top of the listed size range for the Size 1 (medium) Overnights. I normally wear size medium in other diaper brands. This diaper seemed to fit my size well, and the slightly taller rise was a noticeable positive. The diaper in general had a very roomy fit.

The hook-and-loop tapes held well through all of my testing, never moving a bit through any of it. Over my regular use testing, they had far less tendency to pull and fold than even the best tapes I've seen on other diapers, and notably they would be easily re-attachable if they ever did need it. Even better, I felt free to take multiple attempts to get the perfect fit when putting these diapers on in the first place, and I fully expect that they will perform more consistently than competing products for this reason.

The original Waddler Overnight was a very dense and thin diaper for its capacity, and used the same tapes as the much lower capacity Waddler. In my review of that prior version, I noted that the diaper was ill-engineered to handle its capacity; in my testing it had expanded to 4.3x its original size, felt like wearing a balloon animal between my legs, and the tapes simply could not handle that strain without popping. This iteration has completely solved these problems between have having a size more in line with diapers of similar capacity and with its vastly superior tapes.

Price and Final Thoughts

I received a sample of these diapers for the purposes of a review from https://tykables.com/. They are available in 10, 20, 40, and 80 packs. Pricing for Overnights is $35.00/10, $65.00/20, $85.00/40, and $155.00/80. Prices include shipping.

At the case size, this works out to $1.94/diaper. This price structure is nearly exactly the same as that of ABU's Space/LittlePawz/Simple, and that seems to be no accident because this diaper appears very intentionally to be designed to be compete head-to-head with ABU's premium line for the top of the market. The diapers are more similar than different – they are almost identical in thickness, have the same listed capacity, include all of the bells and whistles like fade-when-wet designs, all-over prints, dual waistbands, and so forth – and compete at the same price-point in perhaps the clearest instance I can recall among ABDL brands.

Since the launch of ABU Space almost exactly 2 years ago, ABU has, to my mind held claim to the best overall diaper on the market, and it was not particularly close given that even the few diapers that rivaled it cost substantially more per diaper. That rein has now ended because I think they've been clearly bested by the new Tykables Overnights. The capacity, price, and features are nearly identical, save for the innovation that Tykables brings with the first successful implementation of hook-and-loop tapes on a high-end ABDL diaper. These tapes are just plain better at holding while the diaper is used over an extended period of time, more convenient to attach correctly during changes, and offer significant additional value to ABDLs who do not necessarily use their diapers because an unused diaper with refastenable tapes can be worn multiple times. I would call this a win on points rather than a win by knockout, but it is a clear win and I believe that the community will absolutely love this diaper.

In my view, the Tykables Overnights diaper is now best overall ABDL diaper on the market. My congratulations to Tykables on innovating, creating an incredible diaper for the community, and setting the new standard to beat in "super-premium" ABDL diapers.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 74558, MegaLugia, TheBob and 4 others
Wow, glowing review. Very interested in trying these :)

I'm curious about your comments about the hook and loop tapes, specifically about them being "the first successful implementation of hook-and-loop tapes on a high-end ABDL diaper".

You spoke positively about the tapes on the Bambino Magnificos, which incorporate the same type of tapes. Any reason you don't consider them in the same category?

Reactions: mommysgirlthing
I’m at a loss for words, awesome

I can't wait to try these I did do a preorder for a half case might order a full case later on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I liked the colors on the original snuggies diapers.....I'm not very fond of bright or dark colors on my diapers. As for the performance of the Tyk's...I was pleased with the first version of the overnights and I"m looking forward to the next gen diaper, although I remember in the past a medical diaper that tried to implement a hook and loop fastening system to an all plastic diaper and it didnt do very well.

I wish there were more options as far as pastel colors vs bold colors.....and regular tapes on a landing zone like the originals vs the hook and loop.

I used the original ABU diapers when they had 2 tapes on each side. The one big tape thing just never worked very well for me and have since stopped buying them because of that reason alone. I had heard great things about the other super premium diapers that they have since offered but I didn't like the patterns or the bold colors.

I'm incontinent but I also have a bit of AB within.....and to me...nothing says baby like soft pastel colors like baby blues and baby pinks. I have since found another diaper that I've been using because of the babyish colors and ended up being very surprised that these diapers are also premium ABDL diapers. I won't mention the name of them here as to not detract from the really nice review....but wanted to add my 2 cents...for what its worth.

One of their selling points was their waistbands, how do those compare to ABU? Supposedly they are large, but do they offer a better grip of q snug fit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is what I was hoping for, been begging for really. The Bambino Magnifico has easily been what I consider the best diaper on the market for a little while now, but at $3.25/diaper it was just too ridiculously high priced for me to use it consistently. At $1.94/diaper these are much more reasonably priced and I'm excited to acquire some.

I do hope we can get something with this taping system, around this price and this capacity, but with the ABU Preschool style backing. I think whichever company hits that first will win the majority market share.

- - - Updated - - -

I also hope they release an all white version as well.

Tykables have been my go to ab style diaper . I love the fit and how much they swell up. I`ve had my pre order in for the new ones ,, Can`t wait to try them !!!

Reactions: uknappygirl
I am still waiting for my 1/2 case to arrive how am i supposed to review the diaper when i haven't received them yet.

What does this new taping panel feel like? is it more supple than conventional ones, stiffer, or about the same?

Wow, glowing review! I just ordered a bag!

Now if they only did a 2 tape style...

So close to being my dream diaper. Just throw cloth backed on that, and it’s everything I want it to be. Maybe a wetness line? And 2 tapes instead of 4? But from what I remember the 4 tapes usually fit a little better. I haven’t many two tape diapers tho.

BabyLink9 said:
So close to being my dream diaper. Just throw cloth backed on that, and it’s everything I want it to be. Maybe a wetness line? And 2 tapes instead of 4? But from what I remember the 4 tapes usually fit a little better. I haven’t many two tape diapers tho.

Oh... we have so many good 2 tape options these days! *looks dreamily into the sunset*

Seriously ABU has like 4 models and Cuddlz has some now too!

I canceled my preorder with this company. They keep coming up with excuses on shipping delays, and keep pushing back the shipment dates.

They have not had diapers in stock in about 7 months (or longer). An AB/DL company without diapers in stock for 7 month!?!? Who does that?

I messaged them back in May and they told me end of June or beginning of July. I messaged them back in the end of July and they gave me no date.

A few weeks ago, they said they would start shipping first week in October. That got delayed till mid October. Mid October comes, and they pushed it till October 25th. October 25th comes, and they now push it till November 1st. See a pattern? Yeah, I'm gunna guess when November 1st comes, they won't be shipping out.

There are other AB/DL companies out there that sells diapers, and more than 1 kind too. I am taking my business and money elsewhere.

Hard to write a tykables review, with no tykables in sight!!

It is getting comical at this point regarding all of the delays. I've been watching this forum as well as reddit abdl to see if they would provide some updates or confirmation, and nothing for the last 11+ days. Then this "orders will be delayed" AGAIN today.

Honestly, it doesn't matter how good the diapers are, if you continue to give people expectations and don't live up to them, your reputation is going to take a MAJOR hit. Given how they quietly discontinued all of their diapers and now have been promising new ones for months with only Folsom to show for, they are heading down the road of no return...

I am still waiting for my 40 or half case of the new tykables it's been 3 weeks now still waiting patiently. I'm wondering what the delays are occurring?

DLChad34 said:
I am still waiting for my 40 or half case of the new tykables it's been 3 weeks now still waiting patiently. I'm wondering what the delays are occurring?

Tykables just replied this morning to a growing thread over on Reddit: apparently the container is still not in Chicago

ProudPaddedBro said:
Tykables just replied this morning to a growing thread over on Reddit: apparently the container is still not in Chicago
Must be dealing with customs and red tape [emoji58][emoji52][emoji848][emoji848][emoji50][emoji54][emoji53][emoji19][emoji19] good thing i am a patient person[emoji6][emoji4]

I have two things to add. This product is getting rave reviewed, but the only thing that is really different is the tab style. The amount it holds is basically the same as ABU. Also ABU still wins as they have a variety. Tykables still lacks any variety which for me is a major losing point.

Also, as far as shipping. I think they have been giving people the runaround. This has been delayed multiple times, and for various reasons. Some of these reasons do not make any sense when you put the pieces together.

I also believe ABU will come out with a diaper like this in no time, and again add another amazing diaper to their line up. They have variety not only in style, but in size too, and no shipping problems

lilguy1986 said:
I have two things to add. This product is getting rave reviewed, but the only thing that is really different is the tab style. The amount it holds is basically the same as ABU. Also ABU still wins as they have a variety. Tykables still lacks any variety which for me is a major losing point.

Also, as far as shipping. I think they have been giving people the runaround. This has been delayed multiple times, and for various reasons. Some of these reasons do not make any sense when you put the pieces together.

I also believe ABU will come out with a diaper like this in no time, and again add another amazing diaper to their line up. They have variety not only in style, but in size too, and no shipping problems
@lilguy1986: I have to agree with you on this one i am starting to get annoyed with these delays with tykables being one dimensional only having one diaper product and a line of clothing.

I have never had problems with ABU or Bambino when it comes to ordering and receiving any product from either company . Tykables is now dropping to 3rd on my list of abdl companies that I will order from just not as frequently.

Back