Thread: Potentially Diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder

Default Potentially Diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder

Yesterday I got a suspected diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder, following a visit with my new psychiatrist. I feel devastated at the moment. My boyfriend has told me to deal with this myself, saying that he canít help me in this. I feel so utterly hopeless and isolated. I feel like my boyfriend simply doesnít care about what Iím going through, as it seems as though I have made him numb and callous towards me with all my bullshit over the past 5 years. The potential diagnosis fits like a glove: it explains the obsession with his family, the codependent dynamic to our relationship, the fear of abandonment, and the constant attention-seeking. I just feel so alone, so lost, so hopeless, so depressed, and isolated.

Quote Originally Posted by Crinklesaurus View Post
    Yesterday I got a suspected diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder, following a visit with my new psychiatrist. I feel devastated at the moment. My boyfriend has told me to deal with this myself, saying that he can’t help me in this. I feel so utterly hopeless and isolated. I feel like my boyfriend simply doesn’t care about what I’m going through, as it seems as though I have made him numb and callous towards me with all my bullshit over the past 5 years. The potential diagnosis fits like a glove: it explains the obsession with his family, the codependent dynamic to our relationship, the fear of abandonment, and the constant attention-seeking. I just feel so alone, so lost, so hopeless, so depressed, and isolated.
    Since you got a diagnosis, you're obviously with a counselor or a psychologist/psychiatrist. Let that person help you through this. I was Borderline when I was in college, with almost the same symptoms, and I got through it. Fortunately for me, I tend to get mad at objects rather than the people I love. The downside was that when I had to fix something in the house or on the car, my wife knew to leave me alone. Eventually I mellowed out. Getting older usually helps with Borderline, especially if it's not too severe.

You should either read the book or see the movie, "Girl Interrupted". She was able to overcome it as well. It takes a lot of determination and also, learning to understand yourself. I constantly self evaluate.

I was diagnosed with this last year and while it sucks ass on a colossal scale, at least I know now what's wrong and how I react in certain situations. So I can take active steps to avoiding making future mistakes from my behavior.

It does makes keeping meaningful relationships harder of course and there is this fear in me that this will eventually kill me (suicide attempts) so it's really no wonder that my ABDL side is so important to keeping my sanity and head peaceful.

I am afraid of striking up future friendships because of how unpredictable my mood swings can be. ADISC is one of the only places anywhere where I have any social interaction with others.

A potential diagnosis is something you shouldn't pay too much attention to. Of course, investigate with your psychiatrist. The risk of over thinking this is high. Once you can put a name on your sufferings it will be too easy to connect the dots where no connections exist. You two (you and your psychiatrist) should keep an open mind.
    Don't read anything about this yet.

Best of luck!

A new psychiatrist, a new diagnosis, and hopefully a new beginning. It sounds like you have a therapist who is willing to work with you on helping you deal with the issues that have been plaguing you and your relationship for years. It takes time to work through these problems and to establish strong coping strategies. You're on the right path.

This is the time you need to focus on yourself and how your behaviour affects yourself and others. Take some time for self-care and be kind to yourself. Don't blame yourself for everything that has gone wrong, but at the same time, this should be a time to look inward, to identify key areas of your past that affect how you interact with others. It's a great opportunity to learn about yourself and how to form stronger relationships. Even a potential diagnosis offers new oppportunities to learn something new about yourself and to adapt how you interact with people.

If there has been a strong reliance on your boyfriend due to a co-dependent relationship, then I think it is something you should be discussing with your psychiatrist. Therapy is something that should help you find a greater sense of inner peace, but it would seem reasonable to expect at least a modicum of support from your bofriend. Without having all the details, it may be possible he wants you rely on getting help through therapy, while he can continue to support you through the process. If the relationship is co-dependent, then he may have his own issues that he needs to face. If there is ongoing tension between the two of you, then perhaps you may need to consider couples counselling sown the road.

I would suggest an open talk with your boyfriend, where you can both set your boundaries about what to expect in terms of supporting each other. You also need to address what your expectations are of each other throughout this process and to respect each other's boundaries. It's a journey, one that you should take together.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 05-Oct-2017 at 17:46.

Not being able to help you with a mental disorder is not the same as unwilling to be with you.