Hiding diapers at university

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaliborio said:
Yeah, inspections are just to make sure you're in compliance with your tenancy agreement. They definitely shouldn't be looking through your personal storage and possessions, and if they are, they're in the wrong and it's probably actionable.
When you are on private property your belongings can be subject to search at any time with or without notice. As a student you shall comply with all university rules policies and procedures and local state and federal laws. Having certain items on campus can and will result in your arrest and expulsion from the school. Your attendance at the university is a luxury not a right so its your duty to follow the rules to the letter and spirit.

xpluswearer said:
When you are on private property your belongings can be subject to search at any time with or without notice. As a student you shall comply with all university rules policies and procedures and local state and federal laws. Having certain items on campus can and will result in your arrest and expulsion from the school. Your attendance at the university is a luxury not a right so its your duty to follow the rules to the letter and spirit.

The OP is from the UK and I know many universities won’t go through your personal belongings, just check the state of the room and dining area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This comes from the University I went to and its word for word:
University reserves the right to key-into rooms and search bags (upon entry), residence hall rooms /apartments , MicroFridges, refrigerators, room safes and packages at any time for fire, health and safety hazards for prohibited items and for maintenance and inventory reasons. The university also reserves the right to inspect and search residents’ rooms
/apartments in the event that a violation of the Student Code of Conduct occurs or is believed to have occurred. Room searches are conducted by members of Campus Safety & Security & Res Life Staff. Health & Safety Inspections are conducted once a term or more if deemed necessary by Res Life Team members and are announced in advance. These inspections are designed to ensure that your room /apartment is in working order and no health, safety, sanitation or maintenance concerns exist. If at any other time during the year you have a concern with your room apartment it should be reported right away. If violations of the Student Code of Conduct or policies within this guide are discovered during the course of an inspection, residents may be subject to Student Conduct Review or disciplinary action.

Well, there's 3 places you could put them. 1. You could take them out of the package and put them in an empty drawer and if it's big enough put your baby powder and wipes in there too. 2. If your closet is big enough you could put the box in a dark place so no one will notice what it is. Or 3. You could slide them under your bed, boxed or just in the plastic wrapping itself.

20 years ago when i went off to college, I bought a footlocker that locked. I kept everything in there that needed to stay secure, computer equipment, CD collection, diapers, personal effects, etc...

We had weekly inspections in the dorms. Our dorms consisted of a 2 bedroom apartment. They checked that the trash was not piling up, that the place was clean, the fridge, stove and other appliances were working. Most importantly, the smoke detector was working - this was a major violation if not. They walked into the bedrooms and checked that there were not holes in the wall or windows broken, that the bathroom was clean-like and that was it. LOL, 2 months of flawless inspections got you a coupon at pizza hut.

I agree with others who recommend a locked suitcase. When I was in college in the 70's I bought a Sears diaper (side snap plastic pants with snap in flannel liner) and hid it on a shelf above a closet in my room behind some extra stereo speakers. When his speakers broke, a roommate came in while I was out and took the speakers from the shelf. He never said anything but it would have been almost impossible to not see the diaper if you stood on a chair to get the speakers.

xpluswearer said:
This comes from the University I went to and its word for word:

Just because it's in writing, AND just because you signed off on something, does not mean it's legal. Dwellings have additional legal protections in the same way as public restrooms.

Here's one of many sources of good information. Don't read your university's opinion, they're often over-reaching, wrong, or intentionally misleading.

http://www.grahamlawyerblog.com/201...-student-tips-from-a-criminal-defense-lawyer/

As an example, "We reserve the right to monitor the public bathrooms by camera". No you don't. You never had that right to begin with. You can say that all day long and it doesn't make it true, even if I sign off an agreement to the fact. Certain rights you cannot surrender even voluntarily. Our campus had a vandalism problem in a few specific restrooms, and our campus security wanted to put cameras outside the restroom facing the restroom door and legal said "ABSOLUTELY NOT!" (cameras that view restroom entrances are allowed so long as that's not their primary purpose) He had to be content with the existing camera at the end of the building's hallway that was there primarily to record the exterior door. Anyway that's a bit OT but it's just to demonstrate the idea that just because you're in public (or on someone else's property) doesn't mean you surrender all your rights, even if they claim you do. (or even in some cases where you agree to it) Don't let them con or intimidate you, and don't surrender rights that you don't have to.

Is it just me who wouldn't be bothered by someone coming into my flat? As long as you haven't got weed growing up the wall. I've had packets of nappies next to my bed without issue. I've left loose diapers at home on the bed and office desk without issue.

woolybobs said:
Is it just me who wouldn't be bothered by someone coming into my flat? As long as you haven't got weed growing up the wall. I've had packets of nappies next to my bed without issue. I've left loose diapers at home on the bed and office desk without issue.

Nope. I'm the same way. I leave my plushies out, and my bags of diapers in my master closet as usual (with the door open). I've had guests over, as well as the exterminator, see them, and get no comments or problems.

The fear of being outed is just that. Fear. And I don't let that rule me.

Just keep them in a dresser drawer. No normal person is going to go through someone's underwear drawer.

I work for a UK university and, trust me, the accommodation service always have far better things to do than worry about what someone might have tucked away in a bottom drawer or wardrobe. Their periodic checks will be for damage to the rooms (and there are always students who think they can do what the hell they like to their room in halls because they don't actually own it), obvious drug use (such as a strong smell of weed), stuff like that. Providing you don't give them any reason to be suspicious that anything is going on in there that is either illegal or is likely to bring the Uni into disrepute or cost it money to repair damage, they will leave you in peace. You will have a right to privacy as long as you're following the rules.

If you're still worried about it, get a cheap suitcase or flight bag that accepts a lock and keep your nappies in there. They'll be completely safe.

Hope this helps!

"Inspection": visual only. technically can't touch anything, though you have to provide access to all areas. "room" is a place people travel in and out of, a closet isn't a "room". Practically every landlord is going to have inspections in their lease. They'll typically have a "how often" and "how much notice we will give you" section, sometimes with a little (or a lot) of wiggle room in the wording. Example: "Tennant acknowledges there will be monthly inspections on or about the first of the month, more often if damage was found in a prior inspection. 24 hours notice will be given prior to the inspection." That would usually be followed up with "we probably won't ACTUALLY do an inspection every month, just if we have reason to believe we need to." IE they have reserved the right and you have been notified. (I've rented several times in the past)

"Toss": Anything goes, short of physical damage of property not hindering the search - if it's locked, blocked, or otherwise secured, it can and probably will be broken into for inspection. Prisons do tosses both random and periodic, searching for contraband. Citizens that have not had some of their rights suspended are usually the ones subject to a toss. Boarding schools (with the written permission of the legal guardian) and military bunks (where you signed away most of your rights to privacy) are also tossable. That's why crypto pisses off law enforcement - usually they can sufficiently toss any location or evidence with enough force, but math can't be coerced with a bolt cutters, axe, or cutting torch.

So in summary, if you're only subject to inspection (and not a toss) then simply placing something in a closed dresser drawer is safe. There are exceptions - a dog that that has identified possible drugs can subject the specific area identified for tossing. Signs of distress also count, such as a blood trail or cries for help. Being close to an international border, using mass transit, or entering a military/government facility can also make you subject to tossing. There are other exceptions you're even less likely to need to worry about.

Geek facts: if it's displayed on your screen, they can read it. (same for papers sitting on your desk, but do not touch/move/lift!) Cops have more than once sat down at a computer (with unlocked screen saver) while doing an inspection (no warrant) and opened documents on the desktop, that's always judged to be an illegal search. This is called the "plain sight" rule. If the cops come over to talk to you about the stereo being up too loud and while you have the door open they see the bong on the coffee table (or smell the weed) that's "plain sight" and you are now subject to a toss.

Well this is how I did inspections and how I was trained how to do inspections:
1 . Maintenance- Check walls, ceiling, windows for operation and breakage along with screens in place and not tampered with. Furniture is in good condition nothing that warrants a maintenance repair. Check bed frames and mattresses for damage. Lights operational if bulb is out write up a maintenance ticket for Maintenance department. Smoke Detectors operational items not hanging on sprinkler pipes. Check mini fridges now that is where we find many beers and liquor or wine. Check trash cans for cleanness and yes I do pull out the trash bag and bounce it on the floor 4 times If I hear glass I don plastic gloves and find the glass culprit 9 times out of 10 its a bottle of liquor then the university and local law judicial process takes place. Then I open or have the student open the drawers and yes we do have authority to do a hand move of items in the drawer or closet to check condition and if I come upon contraband the Security officer takes control of the contraband or prohibited items.
2. Prohibited items check- Part of being on campus as university officials inspections of all belongings is something that is not up for debate submit for inspection or face university expulsion. I do force student to open safes foot lockers and do a hand move of items and with my sensitive nose I can smell what you are trying to hide.
3. Sanitation & Health inspection - issue citation for failure to keep room clean and free of debris and trash and ensure open food is sealed and in enclosed containers. and ensure micro fridge is clean floor is vacuumed or swept and mopped . free of dust and that any other issues addressed.
4. ID & Key compliance check .

xpluswearer said:
Well this is how I did inspections and how I was trained how to do inspections:

Was this military (sounds like it), dorm, apartment, or rental? Sounds like a "light toss"

bambinod said:
Was this military (sounds like it), dorm, apartment, or rental? Sounds like a "light toss"
Private University in the US kinda like if I came into your house I am sure you would inspect my bags too. Its your property you can set the rules and policies.

xpluswearer said:
Private University in the US kinda like if I came into your house I am sure you would inspect my bags too. Its your property you can set the rules and policies.

Some landlords like to think that way too, and that's almost never legally the case.

It only gets muddy when it's an informal lease like you have a friend staying in your guest bedroom for the week.

As many said before, they don't open your bags looking for stuff. They only check for cleanliness and damage. So as long as you have the nappies in a box or a bag you'll be fine. Do note that some places, like the one I used to live at, opened closets because there were sprinklers in them. They can't touch any of your stuff or open your drawers so you'll be fine. I have mine in the boxes they came in my closet, and even though my parents stayed in the room they didn't notice. I would recommend that if you're sharing a room, get something lockable, like a suitcase, so there's no snooping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back