Experience with allergic reaction to diaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tw89

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
So I've been using a new diaper (northshore supreme) and everything was going great until i've been getting rashes on my diaper area.At first I thought it was a diaper rash so I've been using some desitin and powder to try and stop it but its actually getting worse.It looks like patches of tiny red bumps and it burns. I don't have any allergies im aware of and this has never happened before.I also cant really "air out" because my bowels and my bladder are unpredictable and I spend most of my days in the office.I stopped using the northshore today though so hopefully i'll see some improvement.I told myself I'd give it another week before I go get it checked by a doctor but before I do I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and had some advice on it.

I've not had any reaction like this, but I heard they are a new product, or the manufacturing process has changed so they are now made inhouse?

I'd see GP asap imho, the rash might not get better without intervention, why suffer for another week?

Might be worth phoning manufacturers for advice as well, others might have had the same problems,,, hope it clears up soon,

You're on the right track. Switch brands for a week or more and see if it clears up. Once fully healed, use that same brand again. If you break out again then that will confirm the allergy.

tw89 said:
So I've been using a new diaper (northshore supreme) and everything was going great until i've been getting rashes on my diaper area.At first I thought it was a diaper rash so I've been using some desitin and powder to try and stop it but its actually getting worse.It looks like patches of tiny red bumps and it burns. I don't have any allergies im aware of and this has never happened before.I also cant really "air out" because my bowels and my bladder are unpredictable and I spend most of my days in the office.I stopped using the northshore today though so hopefully i'll see some improvement.I told myself I'd give it another week before I go get it checked by a doctor but before I do I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and had some advice on it.

It really could be a number of things, but get it checked sooner rather than later, especially if you suffer from i/c. imagine it gets worse, and it's super itchy and painful. raw skin and bodily fluid waste do not mix well as anyone who has had an infected nappy rash as an adult can tell you.
also on the whole diaper thing, I found when molicare super plus switched to cloth-like here for a short time, that the vast majority of the brands with non plastic backing gave me a rash. My skin is a bit rubbish most of the time anyway, and that little bit of extra scratchyness from those products did a number on me.

-- also tiny red bumps COULD be impetigo (ie staph infection) I'm not a doctor, but seriously dont leave it too long

when I first tried the new Betterdry diapers I ended up getting a rash, I switched back to my original diaper brand and the rash went away a few days later. fast forward to today I now wear betterdry diapers 24#7 with no rash. I may be the new diapers or something else cauaing it try switching back to your prior diapers and see what happens in rhe meen time check in with your doctor.

First off if the rash is burning and getting worse you should see you doctor. Normally with allergic reaction the first response is hives large red itchy patched that feel warm to the touch. If you think you are having an allergic reaction I would try benadryl to capsules every eight hours. It would take care of it in a few days. If the rash continues after that see you doctor or incontinence nurse. Believe me I've seen all kinds of diaper rashes in my nursing practice and you definitely don't want to get an infection. I've also been incontinent for the last 20 years and I've had reaction to some diapers, so I stopped using the tranquility diapers and spent a week on predisone and it improved.

I’ve never had an allergic reaction to a disposable diaper. However, I have had jock itch, which is a fungal infection for which a number of effective over-the-counter products are available. I suggest seeing a doctor and letting the doctor know that your rash is related to wearing diapers. The doctor can probably tell whether whether your problem is an allergic reaction or something else, such as diaper rash or jock itch.

I have the same issue with tranquility products.

It's been a week so I'd guess the OP figured out what the problems was, and probably has it cleared up by now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back