Thread: Cold Calling (Jobs)

Default Cold Calling (Jobs)

I've been reading up on the hidden job market, and I've been looking into ringing and asking for jobs. just curious, does this work at all? and could I get a job this way.

If so I'm gonna stop bothering applying online and just ring up and ask if people are hiring, I'm unsure this works, but i think i should try it.

I don't care which job it is as long as it's doable, and makes me enough money to pay off debt and to survive.

I would suggest calling on employers and handing out your CV, phone calls can be annoying sometimes, good luck!

It'll work more with small-to-medium sized businesses, where they don't have tiers of bureaucracy, but it's still hard going and costly (if you pay the phone bill).
    Better yet is to traipse around with a pile of CVs in your hand and visit businesses personally. It shows willingness, which goes a long way with employers.

I think if the strategy of applying on-line has not been working then it may be time to consider adding in some new strategies. As Ade mentioned, most of the larger businesses go through HR so there's not much point in going to them directly and it might actually harm your chances of getting employed with them since resumes have to go through a central office before the potential ones are filtered down to the local business. However, focussing on the smaller and medium sized companies would allow you to make some calls and/or drop off your resume in person. Sometimes timing is everything, and there is a high turnaround in retail, so you might connect with a manager at a time when they are suddenly in need of a new associate. I think now is an especially good time of year to get out and connect with retail stores because they are hiring for the holiday season.

A number of the job sites also will post companies which have "Help wanted-Apply within" signs in their windows. The information is limited but it lets you know that the business actually prefers you to drop off your resume in person. Those would be worth targeting and visiting right away.

I started looking for a job right after 9/11. Needless to say, it didn't go well. Luckily I kept a list of everwhere I sent resumes to.

A year later I went back through that list and cold called them all. Right out of the blue I had one company say they were about to start looking to hire someone. I got the interview and was hired before they even took out an add. Been at that same place of 15 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJess View Post
    I've been reading up on the hidden job market, and I've been looking into ringing and asking for jobs. just curious, does this work at all? and could I get a job this way.

If so I'm gonna stop bothering applying online and just ring up and ask if people are hiring, I'm unsure this works, but i think i should try it.

I don't care which job it is as long as it's doable, and makes me enough money to pay off debt and to survive.
    Oh yeah, cold calling works, but it's a shotgun approach, be prepared to get turned down A LOT and be prepared to try again at the same place a few times. The decision to open to the door to a prospective hire can usually be made by several people at a company and the first person you talk to might say they have nothing available where the second or third might let you know about a job opening up in the future.

Source: I cold called myself into an internship at a local office of a relatively prestigious house of finance on the third try for that specific office.

I got my present job of the last 27 years that way, I stopped in at ten factories in an industrial area that day filling out applications and one called me back the next week. What's a cv? like a resume? You won't get factory work that way those are for posers or yuppies, not real workers.

I should also mention that list I kept was four pages long, with one line per company. Of cold calling them all, only one panned out (but that's all it takes right).